Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 23, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #3,961 of 8,232
I currently have an A55 being delivered to me in 2 days time. I would like to ask in the meantime if I am able to install the firmware through my macbook or must I install using windows? Thanks!
You should download original macOS firmware from Sony, then “Show Package Contents” to show its folders inside, then replace MrWalkman firmware contents into that with same structure.

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #3,962 of 8,232
You should download original macOS firmware from Sony, then “Show Package Contents” to show its folders inside, then replace MrWalkman firmware contents into that with same structure.
This sounds like a good idea and I tried it at once and failed. The original fw installer fails with this message:

Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 14.11.37.png

Sony is being "clever" here, they put the Data in a hidden library, so the user sees only the small wrapper executable, but the payload itself (NW_WM_FW.UPG) is in a hidden library, .Data/Device

If you run the update tool from the command line, it seems to work.

I'll do a bit of testing, if this approach can work or not - if yes, that would be nice!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #3,963 of 8,232
A windows OS running on a mac will work as well. That's what I do. I use Parallels Desktop software.

Same here. Must be running Win7 or higher.

I'll go check it out thanks!

This sounds like a good idea and I tried it at once and failed. The original fw installer fails with this message:

Sony is being "clever" here, they put the Data in a hidden library, so the user sees only the small wrapper executable, but the payload itself (NW_WM_FW.UPG) is in a hidden library, .Data/Device

I'll do a bit of testing, if this approach can work or not - if yes, that would be nice!

Oh yes. If I'm able to just update from mac itself, I'll go try that out once my A55 arrives. I can only gain access to a windows machine next week but If I'm able to do the update from my macbook right away, I'll do it.

Feb 23, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #3,964 of 8,232
A windows OS running on a mac will work as well. That's what I do. I use Parallels Desktop software.
Careful of Silver Sparrow :)

Feb 23, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #3,965 of 8,232

I've tried copy NW_WM_FW.UPG and SWUpdate.xml to .Data/Device before, it could do.

But now I can not install both Sony original firmware and that mod on macOS Big Sur.

So I continue using VMWare Fusion for those mods, and for scsitool-nwz-v27.

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #3,966 of 8,232
Hello @MrWalkman , thank you so much for bringing those firmwares to our DAPs !
I think everyone here will agree they really shine now and it seems it will never stop improving !

I have sent you some well deserved beers ! :beers:

I am running A50Z and have to say that with SeeAudio Yume, it is so good I hardly put off my iems since yesterday !
As Redcarmoose noted in his review, they really benefits from some warmth and A50Z (Plus) give them what they ask for ! (within the limits of the A55 of course :sweat_smile:)

Seeing those news around Dawn and Midnight, I wondered if you had some plans for an update of the A50Z ?

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #3,967 of 8,232
I just made the first steps - copying the full Data directory from MrWalkman's fw package over to the official updater .Data directory (note the dot). Promising :)

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 18.46.32.jpg

I haven't attempted the actual upgrade yet.

PS - this on Catalina 15.10.7, updater launched from the terminal (clicking the app gives the same error message as I posted before) If we could make this work in the GUI, we could have a simple solution for packaging the mrwlakman versions in a MacOS app
PS2 - I got to this same point with Ext_tuning as well

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #3,969 of 8,232
I just made the first steps - copying the full Data directory from MrWalkman's fw package over to the official updater .Data directory (note the dot). Promising :)

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 18.46.32.jpg

I haven't attempted the actual upgrade yet.

PS - this on Catalina 15.10.7, updater launched from the terminal (clicking the app gives the same error message as I posted before) If we could make this work in the GUI, we could have a simple solution for packaging the mrwlakman versions in a MacOS app
PS2 - I got to this same point with Ext_tuning as well
Back in the days of the planet and seasons custom tuning I worked on creating macOS versions using the stock installer as the base. One thing I found was that the maOS installer is picky about the size and format of the XML file. Once I got around that and had working installers once they were uploaded and then downloaded from Google Drive they would fail with the collapsed issue.

MrWalkman and I gave up on macOS installers since you can download VMware Player for macOS and Windows 10 installer ISO for free. Even though I have a Windows 10 laptop I use Windows 10 on VMware for all my firmware installs.

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #3,971 of 8,232
Are you using the latest version of the installer? Sony fixed it late last year to allow it to run on Catalina. Previously the USB driver wasn't loading due to them not listening to Apple and the changes on drivers that was finally enforced in Catalina.

Feb 23, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #3,973 of 8,232
Hello @MrWalkman , thank you so much for bringing those firmwares to our DAPs !
I think everyone here will agree they really shine now and it seems it will never stop improving !

I have sent you some well deserved beers ! :beers:

I am running A50Z and have to say that with SeeAudio Yume, it is so good I hardly put off my iems since yesterday !
As Redcarmoose noted in his review, they really benefits from some warmth and A50Z (Plus) give them what they ask for ! (within the limits of the A55 of course :sweat_smile:)

Seeing those news around Dawn and Midnight, I wondered if you had some plans for an update of the A50Z ?

Thanks for the support! :beers:

A50Z will not be updated anymore. There will be only Dawn/Midnight coming next, and sometimes in the future I plan on revisiting the ZX300-based mods.

Is there an alternative to the .bat files on Windows, that you could simply double-click on any Mac OS system and they would run?

If yes, maybe you could create a script to launch the update tool, and then change the .dmg image to launch the script instead of the update tool - this way it's like the tool is launched from the Terminal.

Of course, it would also be nice to figure out what the heck they're doing that you can't simply replace the XML/UPG as you can do in Windows.

I would love to have a look at it, but I don't have a Mac OS system.

Lol the A35 sounds so good with Mr Walkman’s firmware I just purchased a WM1A to try with it. It should arrive Thursday. :)

Nice! There's plenty of room in the band, welcome! :D

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #3,974 of 8,232
Love it, hahaha. The more the merrier Lol

Feb 24, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #3,975 of 8,232
A50Z will not be updated anymore. There will be only Dawn/Midnight coming next, and sometimes in the future I plan on revisiting the ZX300-based mods.
Ok so I guess if I want the latest refinement my best bet will be Midnight to stay on the warm side of the force :smile:

Never tried the ZX300 mods, will have a look when they are ready.
In fact I would have loved to get a zx300 but was late to the party and the zx500 is not WM OS (let alone that dumb EU volume cap...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back