Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 19, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #3,872 of 8,231
Feb 19, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #3,873 of 8,231
@MrWalkman Is there any change in SQ when compared against Project Z?
Yes. Very distinct sound difference in the new update. Detail retrieval, overall bounce effect and holographic sound. Yet still warm and analogue sounding.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #3,874 of 8,231
Yes. The 1A on its stock firmware is bright. Perhaps too bright for some. The custom firmwares remove that brightness and add a ton more emotions into the music. And also a heap of added features and functions that transform the 1A to a different level. You should try it out sooner than later.
DMP-WM1-FEv3 Dawn is absolutely spectacular with my headgear & library, @MrWalkman CFW just makes you want to revisit all your music over and over...

On DUNU Studio SA6 now
600x600bb.jpg
600x600bb.jpg
600x600bb.jpg
600x600bb.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #3,875 of 8,231
Midnight installed and booted in Plus mode ready for testing out tonight

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #3,876 of 8,231
Midnight installed and booted in Plus mode ready for testing out tonight
Tried Midnight, not to my taste and Plus resulted in some clipping with one set of IEM. Classic was fine. Admittedly it's a rather poorly mastered album with excessive compression & loudness for the phone crowd, the IEM in question although easily driven will soak up all the power you can throw at them.

I prefer the tighter staging of Dawn versus Midnight, also one of the reasons I opted for the 1A over the 1Z with the latter coming across as overly thick. Dawn strikes that magic balance for me.

Q-6

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #3,877 of 8,231
Just at 70 hours now on my 1A, hard to resist trying this or any previous firmware but I'm going to hold till 100 hours! I'm loving the sound as is, I did however change the region to J as it is an EU model. A much brighter sound compared to the ZX507 but with that comes a level of detail, clarity and soundstage that I'm loving... 507 still a keeper though and I've listened to that everyday since getting the 1A also, hence not clocking up more than 70 hours on the 1A.
When you fly with Sony's WM1A firmware your decidedly in Cattle Class, @MrWalkman custom firmware your First Class all the way, with perfectly chilled champagne :o2smile: Dawn or Midnight you wont be disappointed, load up a track that your very familiar with, listen to it 3-5 times, install Dawn or Midnight. Repeat with the same track, strap in and be prepared...

WM1A - DMP-WM1-FEv3 Dawn 4.4 balanced, High Gain
Studio SA6 - Dunu White tips
ZEN - Dunu Blue tips from SA6
DK-3001 Pro - Dunu Spinfit tips & spacer
CF Andromeda - Final E tips
XBA-N3 - Sony silicon tips & Sony Kimber Kable

96/24 off UK Vinyl
600x600bb.jpg

DUNU comment on tips:
The grey tips for us have always been our 'Balanced' ear tips, while the white core tips are meant to sharpen up treble response a little, while the foam tips tend to smooth them out a little. The black tips have a little bit of a reverse horn effect and thus have the ability to let the focus lay with the bass a little more.

Q-6

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #3,878 of 8,231
The new update further refines both fev2 and project z. Quite significantly. You may wait for it but if your curiosity gets the better of you, go ahead and load fev2 right away. It’s amazing too.

I've just got round to switching to FEv2 during the last hour or so & this is equally amazing ! ( I could do with two ZX300's now to try & compare. ) Just waiting for the brilliant @MrWalkman 's Dawn / Midnight update, but i'd be beyond content with FEv2 or Project Z. It's great that we can switch from one to the other(s)

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #3,879 of 8,231
I've just got round to switching to FEv2 during the last hour or so & this is equally amazing ! ( I could do with two ZX300's now to try & compare. ) Just waiting for the brilliant @MrWalkman 's Dawn / Midnight update, but i'd be beyond content with FEv2 or Project Z. It's great that we can switch from one to the other(s)

It will be out in a few days :)

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #3,880 of 8,231
Midnight classic strikes again.

Paired with U12T / Moondrop S8.

Was listening to Kime Ga Tame by Suara. It's just the right amount of wetness. The bass roars with authority. The hand drums are fluttering around on the side. The ooh and aahs of the support singers are audible but not overwhelming. Everything goes silent for a few seconds as the flute solo comes and goes. If I focus I can hear every little detail, but once I let go I slip back to the main tune of the song which is Suara's beautiful singing.

1613748248718.png

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #3,881 of 8,231
Mr Walkman you totally NAILED it with the Midnight+. This one is perfection IMO and by far my favourite of all your FWs. I've tried FE, FE+, ProjectZ/Z+ and now Midnight+.

I've enjoyed all of them but there has always been a trade off that's bugged me a bit ever since FE+ despite all the improvements, that is the weaker bass and dynamic slam. Midnight+ completely fixed that, I feel the slam is just as strong as FE but still retained all the benefits from FE+ and ProjectZ. Also, with Project Z I had to switch between Z and Z+ depending on headphones I used because I felt Z+ was too warm when paired with already warm headphones and felt veiled. However, with Midnight+, it's perfect with all sound signatures I've tried so far.

Midnight+ is truly the best of all the FWs preceding it. Bravo!

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #3,883 of 8,231
12" Vinyl
1613754565868.png

Dawn CFW ripping it; Only advice, turn it up, other than turn on DC Phase Linearizer A Standard and plug in DUNU ZEN :tophat:

Q-6

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #3,884 of 8,231
Ok I'm going to give it a shot tonight - a/b testing and this album on DUNU SA6 via 1A a bit too bright, resolved on 507 but at the expense of detail and soundstage. It'll be interesting to test later, I'll report back...

20210219_184123.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back