Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 18, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #3,856 of 8,232
It would be good if you could use the hold mode to switch between them - wake up to dawn and drift off to sleep with midnight

Yeah, but I'm not sure that's possible without having to reapply the external tuning again, which has to be done via a PC...

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #3,857 of 8,232
This is why I chose Dusk instead :D

But I think Midnight will do it.
Dusk & Dawn for no other reasons than the film kicks ass, has a better ring and forever memorable :o2smile:
1613709554173.png

Q-6

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #3,860 of 8,232
Very novel idea! Switch tuning on the fly. But hey, let's give @MrWalkman a break. Performing miracles can zap strength. Lol.
We can already switch tuning on the fly with the classic and plus versions. They are both different tunings on their own hence the names plus and classic. But for midnight and dusk, they are based on different models so the external tuning has to be installed after the firmware anyway. It’s not the same models. Midnight uses 1z tuning and dusk uses z1 tuning.

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #3,861 of 8,232
I just noticed the 'install the app' on the HeadFi side menu, is the app any good?

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #3,862 of 8,232
I just noticed the 'install the app' on the HeadFi side menu, is the app any good?

It's an "app" for Chrome, which just loads the mobile version of the forum, but without borders on top/bottom.

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #3,864 of 8,232
@MrWalkman I have installed the Midnight firmware and the Midnight ext tuning but when I go into the unit settings there is no mention of Ext tuning has been installed or not.

Feb 19, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #3,865 of 8,232
Dawn and Midnight are now available for the WM1 players.

Dawn - formerly known as DMP-WM1 FE (more suitable for warmer headphones*)
Midnight - formerly known as Project Z (more suitable for neutral headphones*)

These are just recommendations. Ideally you should give both a try and decide for yourself which one suits you and your gear best.

Updates (for both):
- a more overall cleaner, fuller, smoother, holographic, and natural sound signature, in both the Classic and Plus boot modes;
- if the external tuning will not be applied, you will see a message regarding this in the "Unit Information" menu.

You can find both of them here.

As always, feel free to share your thoughts :)

If it works ok, then feel free to use it. It doesn't work ok for everyone.

As ever, thanks for your amazing talents / work.....i'm just waiting for Midnight, for the ZX300.....a week today, is going to be musical heaven day......two solo albums from the amazing Steve Lukather & Joseph Williams, so i'm really hoping for firmware update by then ??

Feb 19, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #3,867 of 8,232
@MrWalkman I have installed the Midnight firmware and the Midnight ext tuning but when I go into the unit settings there is no mention of Ext tuning has been installed or not.
If it doesn’t say external tuning not installed, then it’s installed correctly. It’s in the instructions.

Feb 19, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #3,868 of 8,232
Just at 70 hours now on my 1A, hard to resist trying this or any previous firmware but I'm going to hold till 100 hours! I'm loving the sound as is, I did however change the region to J as it is an EU model. A much brighter sound compared to the ZX507 but with that comes a level of detail, clarity and soundstage that I'm loving... 507 still a keeper though and I've listened to that everyday since getting the 1A also, hence not clocking up more than 70 hours on the 1A.

Feb 19, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #3,869 of 8,232
If it doesn’t say external tuning not installed, then it’s installed correctly. It’s in the instructions.

Ok, cheers. Due to my excitement I misread the instructions.

Feb 19, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #3,870 of 8,232
Just at 70 hours now on my 1A, hard to resist trying this or any previous firmware but I'm going to hold till 100 hours! I'm loving the sound as is, I did however change the region to J as it is an EU model. A much brighter sound compared to the ZX507 but with that comes a level of detail, clarity and soundstage that I'm loving... 507 still a keeper though and I've listened to that everyday since getting the 1A also, hence not clocking up more than 70 hours on the 1A.
Yes. The 1A on its stock firmware is bright. Perhaps too bright for some. The custom firmwares remove that brightness and add a ton more emotions into the music. And also a heap of added features and functions that transform the 1A to a different level. You should try it out sooner than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back