Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #3,826 of 8,232
neo personal savior, www.thescottsmithblog.com, choi and du jour white rabbit (1).png

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #3,827 of 8,232
1613664942125.png

Well, I'm not really like this right now, but in any case, the update is on the way and it should arrive soon.

I decided to call "DMP-WM1 FE" as "Dawn", and "Project Z" as "Dusk" -
- "Dawn" representing a more neutral sound overall of DMP-WM1 FE, while "Dusk" representing the warmer sound of Project Z.

These names should be better than "DMP-WM1 FEGHIJKLKMNO" etc. :sweat_smile:

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #3,828 of 8,232

Well, I'm not really like this right now, but in any case, the update is on the way and it should arrive soon.

I decided to call "DMP-WM1 FE" as "Dawn", and "Project Z" as "Dusk" -
- "Dawn" representing a more neutral sound overall of DMP-WM1 FE, while "Dusk" representing the warmer sound of Project Z.

These names should be better than "DMP-WM1 FEGHIJKLKMNO" etc. :sweat_smile:
Methinks DMP-WM1 FEGHIJKLKMNO is more suitable. Lol! (and patiently waiting while listening to Oxygene Hi-res on A45 with Z+)

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #3,831 of 8,232
Notice anything different?

1613675094181.png

If the external tuning was not applied, it will be now mentioned in the "Unit Information" menu.

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #3,832 of 8,232
@MrWalkman just my personal opinion , the DMP-WM1 FE / Project Z names are easier to remember/discern than dusk/dawn (both words sound very same etc)

plus it's more wm-related , but again your FWs your call :)

edit : if the dawn/dusk are only for the latest FW you are about to give us , ignore my comment - i thought it was gonna be a general renaming

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #3,833 of 8,232
@MrWalkman just my personal opinion , the DMP-WM1 FE / Project Z names are easier to remember/discern than dusk/dawn (both words sound very same etc)

plus it's more wm-related , but again your FWs your call :)

edit : if the dawn/dusk are only for the latest FW you are about to give us , ignore my comment - i thought it was gonna be a general renaming

Think that dusk = evening, matching Project Z's warmer sound with our state of mind in the evening, after working, for example (just an idea), while dawn = morning, matching FEv2's clearer/colder sound (in comparison with Project Z), similar to one's mind in the morning, which should be clear usually. :D

I think that this won't really be an issue...

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #3,834 of 8,232
I'm guilty of suggesting the renaming of the firmwares.
Perhaps for now they can be referred to as their original names with code names in brackets? eg. Project Z (Dusk)

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #3,835 of 8,232
I'm guilty of suggesting the renaming of the firmwares.
Perhaps for now they can be referred to as their original names with code names in brackets? eg. Project Z (Dusk)

I was already thinking of renaming them.

I will mention "Dusk (formerly known as Project Z)", but in the firmware this won't be visible.

Would "Twilight" be better instead of "Dusk", to make them a bit more different (Dawn/Twilight)?

Or why not "Midnight"? I think it would be a suitable name for the character of Project Z.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #3,836 of 8,232

I will mention "Dusk (formerly known as Project Z)", but in the firmware this won't be visible.
I meant just in the posts until people adapt to the new names.
I felt they sounded quite technical and when hearing people romantically describe the qualities of the signature I thought some new names might be more appropriate.

Feb 18, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #3,837 of 8,232

Would "Twilight" be better instead of "Dusk", to make them a bit more different (Dawn/Twilight)?

Or why not "Midnight"? I think it would be a suitable name for the character of Project Z.

Twilight? As in "Twilight Zone" or "Twilight Saga"? Please don't do that!

Feb 18, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #3,838 of 8,232
Twilight? As in "Twilight Zone" or "Twilight Saga"? Please don't do that!

This is why I chose Dusk instead :D

But I think Midnight will do it.

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #3,839 of 8,232
whatever the names , we will use them

i only mentioned it , cause having a standard technical point of reference works easier to remember what each fw sounds like

Imagine if people start saying ''dusk was good but dawn rules and i liked twilight'' - pure confusion, trying to remember which one is which

whereas saying i liked project Z but wmfev2 is better has kept everyone here in the same page

i think that using non sony related names will blur what each fw sound like

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #3,840 of 8,232
i think that using non sony related names will blur what each fw sound like

I get it, but it's us who associated the names with how they sound like. Imagine if I named them "Dawn" and "Midnight" from the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back