Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 17, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #1,876 of 8,223
Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #1,877 of 8,223
IMG_20201118_103147630.jpg

Such a dynamic, expansive sound. The A50 has never sounded better :)

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #1,878 of 8,223
OK didn’t notice that as I changed to J before installing R.

And my 1Z is on it’s way back again from Nayparm after having a new board and his latest 2.5 full mod done after the battery leak fitted with FE fw
Do you have a link for Nayparm? He's in the UK? I'd be very interested to hear what you think of the modded 1Z,and especially the differences with the stock 1Z,Thanks!

Nov 18, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #1,879 of 8,223
SQ is a vey personal matter, J region just tends to be the more balanced. High Gain and related features remain.
  • J Most balanced of all the regions, little warm, well suited for those who listen to multiple genres, BT remote capable.
  • CA sounds big and bouncy a little bloated in the mid bass, tends to spill over, BT remote capable.
  • CN is all about resolution with a bump in the sub bass, BT remote capable.
  • E is rather V shaped, can be piercing on the 1A, BT remote capable.
  • U is more U shaped than E
  • MX3 again V shaped with more presence in the bass than E
  • TW All about the bass, with average resolution, BT remote capable.
Best thing is to experiment as there's no negative consequence. If I had to make a call it would be J or MX3 . Personally I opt for J and keep returning as have multiple headgear and listen to multiple genres so the more balanced EQ makes sense. Is also worth noting that the vast majority tuning mods & emulations are generally based on J for the balance and the timbre.

Q-6
As much as I'd like to experiment,I only have Mac,so I need to call someone out to make any changes.Maybe I should buy a cheap PC,it does seem a bit silly, only to be Sony compliant. I'm actually enjoying CA "big and bouncy",on the 1Z with FE firmware.Thinking about it,I do tend to lean towards a more "romantic" sound,as opposed to a reference sound. I use Campfire Atlas and Beyerdynamic Xelentos.I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy technically proficient IEMs nearly as much.
The treble with the FE firmware is much better, considerably tamed compared to stock firmware.Do you happen to remember if there's a significant difference in the treble region between CA and J? Thanks again for your input, it's much appreciated.

Nov 18, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #1,880 of 8,223
As much as I'd like to experiment,I only have Mac,so I need to call someone out to make any changes.Maybe I should buy a cheap PC,it does seem a bit silly, only to be Sony compliant. I'm actually enjoying CA "big and bouncy",on the 1Z with FE firmware.Thinking about it,I do tend to lean towards a more "romantic" sound,as opposed to a reference sound. I use Campfire Atlas and Beyerdynamic Xelentos.I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy technically proficient IEMs nearly as much.
The treble with the FE firmware is much better, considerably tamed compared to stock firmware.Do you happen to remember if there's a significant difference in the treble region between CA and J? Thanks again for your input, it's much appreciated.

Maybe you could use Boot Camp?

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #1,881 of 8,223

I partitioned my Mac (well, set up a new user) and installed 'Parallels' which is a Virtual Windows Machine for Mac (I need this for work purposes as well, as I work from home now) - and I have managed to change the region to J and apply the Mods to my WM1A - and I can be a bit of a Luddite at times (more to do with lack of patience?).

I thought of buying a cheap PC, but Parallels annual subscription is about £55 ($80 USD?), it does have a free trial period though. I had to get some support on installing the permanent version though (through their support team).

Good luck!

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #1,882 of 8,223
Do you have a link for Nayparm? He's in the UK? I'd be very interested to hear what you think of the modded 1Z,and especially the differences with the stock 1Z,Thanks!

https://www.npaudio.uk/

I love the modded 1Z, I got it back in September but after a month the battery leaked as did one for another user so I had to send it back and he had to get hold of 2 new boards and redo both players

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #1,883 of 8,223
I was wondering why Mr. WALKMAN using Region J.

Enjoying the DMP-WM1 FE with Region J now lol.
Although Region J is good, I didn't like it so much initially with other Firmware versions.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #1,884 of 8,223
Is the A45 getting a FE edition so to speak or shall I just carry on loading my music and enjoy myself? :) Apologies if I've missed the answer - was getting back up to date on the thread after the last A45 firmware drop

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #1,885 of 8,223
Is the A45 getting a FE edition so to speak or shall I just carry on loading my music and enjoy myself? :) Apologies if I've missed the answer - was getting back up to date on the thread after the last A45 firmware drop

A40 and A30 already have the FE version. It includes the sound signature, as well as the more stable installation procedure (that is done at the first startup when installing the firmware).

Both these players didn't have a DMP-AXX firmware before, so I didn't need to name it FE. I will probably change the name so people won't get confused and expect another update for this firmware.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #1,886 of 8,223
A40 and A30 already have the FE version. It includes the sound signature, as well as the more stable installation procedure (that is done at the first startup when installing the firmware).

Both these players didn't have a DMP- AXX firmware before, so I didn't need to name it FE. I will probably change the name so people won't get confused an expect another update for this firmware.
Ahh apologies I get you! That's lovely thank you for confirming though. I may have a look at switching the region then now. Thanks again!

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #1,887 of 8,223
Just want to thanks @MrWalkman. Rocking A50R FE on J region now.

You can expect some beer at the end of this month :). It would be nothing compared to the value your work brings, but at least it would be a token of my appreciation & gratitude.

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #1,888 of 8,223
Ahh apologies I get you! That's lovely thank you for confirming though. I may have a look at switching the region then now. Thanks again!

On the A40/A30, the region will be J after installing the external tuning as well by the way. It's mentioned in the post and on the website :)

Just want to thanks @MrWalkman. Rocking A50R FE on J region now.

You can expect some beer at the end of this month :). It would be nothing compared to the value your work brings, but at least it would be a token of my appreciation & gratitude.

No worries man, I really appreciate it, and I'm glad you like it!

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #1,890 of 8,223
wait, so by default, after finish installing DMP-A40 the region will also automatically be changed to J? Sorry I just didn’t read it thoroughly when installed the fw.

Yes.

Please read the whole post before quickly proceeding to download and install a modified firmware. Thanks! :)

• If the region of the player is J, it will be changed to U, in order to avoid the "Japanese"
language that cannot be changed. At the end of the installation, the region of the player will be J
anyway, but you can change it to any other region, using the destination tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back