Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 30, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #7,321 of 8,226
Aight, installed walkman one wm1z tuning, still japanese and cannot change language... What the heck did I do wrong

I mean, it works, but don`t really want to learn japanese haha.
:D
20221030_192518.jpg

Attachments

• 20221030_192537.jpg
    20221030_192537.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #7,322 of 8,226
Aight, installed walkman one wm1z tuning, still japanese and cannot change language... What the heck did I do wrong

I mean, it works, but don`t really want to learn japanese haha.
:D20221030_192518.jpg

So you go in Settings, 2nd menu, and the last option in this menu is not "Language"?

Oct 30, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #7,323 of 8,226
So you go in Settings, 2nd menu, and the last option in this menu is not "Language"?
That`s correct, just to be sure, I checked all 3 first menues in settings, twice. There is no "Language", checked with google lens too, nothing. If you want me to post screens here of all 3 first menues I can do that no problem.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #7,324 of 8,226
That`s correct, just to be sure, I checked all 3 first menues in settings, twice. There is no "Language", checked with google lens too, nothing. If you want me to post screens here of all 3 first menues I can do that no problem.

Ok, go then to the settings file (connect player to PC and enable mass storage mode, then from the PC go to internal storage, then to the folder named "CFW", and open the "settings.txt" file) and set from REM=0 to REM=1. Save the settings file, then disable mass storage mode, and restart the player. Afterwards check the 2nd menu from Settings again.

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #7,327 of 8,226
I just wonder how the heck you knew that was the problem. You are correct, all english now! Wow man. Thank you.

REM sets the UI region to E, while the sound region can remain J or whatever it's set in the settings file.

E region will display the language menu in the UI.

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #7,328 of 8,226
REM sets the UI region to E, while the sound region can remain J or whatever it's set in the settings file.

E region will display the language menu in the UI.
So the purpose of REM is to force the GUI to behave in region E with whatever feature and options this support while keeping the sound sig of whatever region is set in the settings fil ?

I've never noticed this option before.

Oct 30, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #7,329 of 8,226
So the purpose of REM is to force the GUI to behave in region E with whatever feature and options this support while keeping the sound sig of whatever region is set in the settings fil ?

I've never noticed this option before.

Yeah, basically making the remote option show up with any region, while also have the Language option available, hence why the E region was chosen as the UI region.

Nov 3, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #7,333 of 8,226
Does anyone know which One region/version reduces lower treble energy?
Maybe study region Japan, as it ups the bass/warmth which in contrast lowers the perception of lower treble, due to balance?

Nov 8, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #7,334 of 8,226
My NWA-55L with Walkmann One firmware has found a new life at the office. I now use it regularly as dac with the office´s pc, either listening to my own files or to Qobuz webplayer. It works wondefully either with my iems Etymotic ER4XR or with two headphones I have at the office, my vintage but still wondefull Denon AH-D900 from 1989 or with the Sennheiser HD599

Nov 9, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #7,335 of 8,226
Hello everyone, reading through this thread a few months ago is costing me a fortune :)

After my faithful iPod from 2010 finally gave up the ghost it was time to find a replacement. Ended up buying a a55 and getting it from Japan then flashing with Mr Walkmans firmware - superb. Have been using it with some Bose Quietcomfort buds for the gym and at home on a Phillips 2XHR.

As is always the way, mission creep started. Waiting for a Wm1a to be delivered over the coming days and will use this at home.

Question, earbuds - I need some balanced so have narrowed it down to 2 options. Both are completely different both in technical and £££ so which direction should I go, are the expensive ones 'worth' the extra? I know diminishing returns etc. but would like the Sony, don't like the price though, believe the Timeless are good bang for buck.. choices.

Options are:

a) 7hz timeless (~£180)
b) ier-M9 (~£900)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back