Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 21, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #7,306 of 8,227
Regarding tagging, I use Tagscanner as I prefer sometimes to manually tag my music as a lot of it is quite rare, obscure or bootlegs. The settings is ID3v2.3 and I opt for 800x800 art tagged to each track instead of just in the folder so it looks decent when using PC/Foobar. Although my album art choice may not be optimal are there any tips for an efficient filing/tagging of tracks for the Walkmans? My 1TB card is possibly 3/4 full and the load times are pretty quick so I don't feel my choice of tagging each file with art is a slowdown. Is there anything about Sony Music Center tagging that may be optimized for the Walkmans?
I use tagscanner too every time I load new music into my Walkman. Sony music center simply adds missing info and most importantly adds the music sense info to the files so that the feature works in the Walkman. That is a feature I use every now and then.

Oct 22, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #7,307 of 8,227
I use tagscanner too every time I load new music into my Walkman. Sony music center simply adds missing info and most importantly adds the music sense info to the files so that the feature works in the Walkman. That is a feature I use every now and then.
I had always thought SensMe was an old gimmick feature that no one used, I'll give it a try one day and see if it works for me.

Oct 22, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #7,308 of 8,227
I had always thought SensMe was an old gimmick feature that no one used, I'll give it a try one day and see if it works for me.
SensMe is my favourite part. I just wish that I didn't have to analyse on the PC (my old A17 would analyse on board).
I also wish that Sony would open source it (yah, I know) so I could use it on my other devices & music server

Oct 22, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #7,309 of 8,227
i just finished doing my library with it and it's such a life-saver. gone are the days of fumbling around playlists for a certain mood. i can just go to SenseMe and pick a mood and I'm good to go. wish i had done it earlier!

Oct 22, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #7,310 of 8,227
i just finished doing my library with it and it's such a life-saver. gone are the days of fumbling around playlists for a certain mood. i can just go to SenseMe and pick a mood and I'm good to go. wish i had done it earlier!
Sony's old Media Gallery software is almost better. It has even more channels (running, rainy day for example). The big drawback is it only works for lossy formats. I did figure out a way to use it to export m3u playlists of the channels but it takes a whole lot of jumping through hoops

Oct 23, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #7,311 of 8,227
Sony's old Media Gallery software is almost better. It has even more channels (running, rainy day for example). The big drawback is it only works for lossy formats. I did figure out a way to use it to export m3u playlists of the channels but it takes a whole lot of jumping through hoops
interesting. i try not to do lossy, so it's probably not going to work for me. energetic and morning are pretty much running. relaxation and night are my rainy days.

Oct 24, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #7,312 of 8,227
interesting. i try not to do lossy, so it's probably not going to work for me. energetic and morning are pretty much running. relaxation and night are my rainy days.
MG was written back when Sony refused to adopt Flac because … reasons? I think it may have had WAV support, but never checked it out. The amount of effort that needed to be put in to get mobile playlists meant I never really used it very much. If only some gracious code monkey could reverse engineer it without all the proprietary flaws

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #7,313 of 8,227
Guys, I factory reseted the wm1a, now it`s all japanese hehe. I had a backup of all songs so that`s not a problem, just wanted to start fresh and install the new firmware from Mr. Walkman. Though, eaven using google lens that does the translation from my phone camera, I can`t seem to change the language to english. Suggestions?
I think there shuld be a language settings after the "usb dac" settings, but nothing is there..
Aight, I think I know what I have to do, use the scsitool-nwz-v27.exe at rockbox, and dest_tool set off which changes it to english + fixes the volume cap. I`ll try after I copied my 103 GB of 48kz 24 bits flacs to the internal memory... Damn I wish it was usb 3 not 2, so slow.

Nah, changing from J to U didn`t change anything, still don`t see any language settings on my wm1a.... I`m all ears for what I can do to fix this...

1667138004470.jpeg
1667137981440.jpeg

1667138305812.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #7,314 of 8,227
Guys, I factory reseted the wm1a, now it`s all japanese hehe. I had a backup of all songs so that`s not a problem, just wanted to start fresh and install the new firmware from Mr. Walkman. Though, eaven using google lens that does the translation from my phone camera, I can`t seem to change the language to english. Suggestions?
I think there shuld be a language settings after the "usb dac" settings, but nothing is there..
Aight, I think I know what I have to do, use the scsitool-nwz-v27.exe at rockbox, and dest_tool set off which changes it to english + fixes the volume cap. I`ll try after I copied my 103 GB of 48kz 24 bits flacs to the internal memory... Damn I wish it was usb 3 not 2, so slow.

Nah, changing from J to U didn`t change anything, still don`t see any language settings on my wm1a.... I`m all ears for what I can do to fix this...

1667138004470.jpeg1667137981440.jpeg
1667138305812.jpeg
The J region does not support changing gui language. Installing the WalkmanOne fw changes gui language to english

Oct 30, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #7,315 of 8,227

>device settings (3rd from basic settings)
>language settings, scroll all the way down, 3rd from the bottom. select english
IMG_20221030_105235.jpg
IMG_20221030_105242.jpg
IMG_20221030_105248.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #7,316 of 8,227
Yeah I know man, i`m honestly perplexed why I don`t have the option to choose language.. No idea what`s going on. Look at my pics, thats the furthest down I could go, no where does it say language, google lens doesnt show any language on the menu eaither... Maybe couse I did a factory reset or something?

Edit: Yup, tripple checked, no language option.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #7,317 of 8,227
The J region does not support changing gui language. Installing the WalkmanOne fw changes gui language to english
So what I did...
1. Factory reset, then got the japanese language.
2. Tried scsitoo-nwz-v27.exe changed to U - still japanese no option to change language.
3. Installed walkman one, still japanese no option to change language.

Oct 30, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #7,318 of 8,227
2. applying scsitoo-nwz-v27.exe and changing to U, once rebooted it would still be Japanese yeah. But did you go to settings at that point, access the third menu, where in there "Language" should be?

That's where I found the option to change when I'd done the same.

Oct 30, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #7,319 of 8,227
So what I did...
1. Factory reset, then got the japanese language.
2. Tried scsitoo-nwz-v27.exe changed to U - still japanese no option to change language.
3. Installed walkman one, still japanese no option to change language.

You can't install Walkman One while having Midnight v2 installed. First you must use the StockRevert package made of the Midnight v2 firmware, which you can search for in this ZIP archive.

After getting back to stock you should no longer see "Midnight v2" in the Unit Information menu, and then you can install the Walkman One firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back