Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 5, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #6,421 of 8,232
No, not yet. Do you think that will give it more juice?

I think the Japan region setting (which can be changed with the Mr Walkman mod) also unlocks the volume cap compared to European region.

Dec 6, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #6,422 of 8,232
I think the Japan region setting (which can be changed with the Mr Walkman mod) also unlocks the volume cap compared to European region.
He wrote that he has already removed the cap

Dec 6, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #6,423 of 8,232
@MrWalkman with all the discussion in this group regarding how close to the sound of WM1Z with your firmware, I’m wondering if there is any reason to upgrade from the A55 to ZX300? I only listen IEMs, so stronger power output is not needed. The only reason for me to buy the ZX300 is the fancier build quality and in some rare cases, 4.4mm output. I don’t know if the background is cleaner on the ZX300, as I do hear some faint hiss from the A55.
Thank you very much for making this firmware!

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #6,424 of 8,232
@MrWalkman with all the discussion in this group regarding how close to the sound of WM1Z with your firmware, I’m wondering if there is any reason to upgrade from the A55 to ZX300? I only listen IEMs, so stronger power output is not needed. The only reason for me to buy the ZX300 is the fancier build quality and in some rare cases, 4.4mm input. I don’t know if the background is cleaner on the ZX300, as I do hear some faint hiss from the A55.

Hardware still matters. ZX300 has more capable hardware, so it should be able to provide a cleaner and more open sound, with even better bass reproduction and slam.

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #6,425 of 8,232
@MrWalkman with all the discussion in this group regarding how close to the sound of WM1Z with your firmware, I’m wondering if there is any reason to upgrade from the A55 to ZX300? I only listen IEMs, so stronger power output is not needed. The only reason for me to buy the ZX300 is the fancier build quality and in some rare cases, 4.4mm output. I don’t know if the background is cleaner on the ZX300, as I do hear some faint hiss from the A55.
My 1Z is noticeably better than my A55 (both in WalkmanOne) but had I had the A55 with WalkmanOne at the time I would probably never have bought the 1Z, that’s how good the A55 with WalkmanOne is provided you don't need too much output power

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #6,426 of 8,232
Not strictly fw related, but I was looking at buying a DAC/AMP for my laptop, when the realization struck - I already have one! The A30 works flawlessly on the Mac, just enable the DAC, plug it in and done.

1 remark though - there's a 0,5 sec audio delay when playing video - easy to correct.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #6,427 of 8,232
Not strictly fw related, but I was looking at buying a DAC/AMP for my laptop, when the realization struck - I already have one! The A30 works flawlessly on the Mac, just enable the DAC, plug it in and done.

1 remark though - there's a 0,5 sec audio delay when playing video - easy to correct.

It's a bit FW related though, as I'm pretty sure that neither BT Receiver or USB DAC modes are available on the stock firmware :D

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #6,428 of 8,232
It's a bit FW related though, as I'm pretty sure that neither BT Receiver or USB DAC modes are available on the stock firmware
Indeed, the A30 did not have with its stock FW neither the USB DAC mode nor the BT Receiver mode. I'm not sure if Sony made any significant hardware improvements when releasing the A40 and A50 over the A30. In other words, is it possible to hear a noticeable difference between the 3 models once installed Walkman One?

In the small models, I only have the A30 so I will not be able to comment.

On the other hand, for me, the ZX300 with Walkman One remains superior to the A30 with WalkmanOne because the ZX300 delivers richer bass and fuller mids.

But I still find it hard to see the difference between the 4.4mm port of the WM1A with WalkmanOne and the 4.4mm port of the ZX300 with WalkmanOne.
Maybe I'm too old to hear these differences.

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #6,429 of 8,232
I can hear no difference between the A30 and A50 using the same fw (currently WM One)

The custom firmwares unlocked tons of options in the A30, not available on the stock - AptX HD, BT receiver, USB DAC... meaning that the hw has been there from day 1, but Sony decided to disable these features. IMO therefore biggest leap forward is on the A30

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #6,430 of 8,232
Indeed, the A30 did not have with its stock FW neither the USB DAC mode nor the BT Receiver mode. I'm not sure if Sony made any significant hardware improvements when releasing the A40 and A50 over the A30. In other words, is it possible to hear a noticeable difference between the 3 models once installed Walkman One?

In the small models, I only have the A30 so I will not be able to comment.

On the other hand, for me, the ZX300 with Walkman One remains superior to the A30 with WalkmanOne because the ZX300 delivers richer bass and fuller mids.

But I still find it hard to see the difference between the 4.4mm port of the WM1A with WalkmanOne and the 4.4mm port of the ZX300 with WalkmanOne.
Maybe I'm too old to hear these differences.
The zx300 is pretty much a mini version of the 1A. I had it for a year or so and then got the 1A. The immediate key differences I noticed were the soundstage, bass texture and quality and vocal presence was better on the 1A. Everything else was pretty much the same. Had I spent more time comparing the 2 of them I would’ve just probably settled for the zx300 and been happy with it but I had to sell off the ZX300 to cover some costs at that time.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #6,431 of 8,232
Yes, DMP-A30 FEv2, and Project Z are in the plan, based on the stock firmware port from the A50.

By the way, are you up to do a little testing for the A30 mod? I will attempt to get the NFC working. If that will work, then everything else should kind of already work on the A50 port.
Is there any link of Project Z or DMP-A30FE? I found that the previous link mrwalkman.ml doesn't exist now, but in the newer website nwmods.ml there is neither the Project Z firmware nor the DMP-A30 one. I really like your work. It brings my A30 alive again. I'm now using WM1Z mod but really want the language learning and such functions back, so please reply me and give me an available link of Project Z or DMP-A30. THANKS MUCH!

Dec 9, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #6,432 of 8,232
Is there any link of Project Z or DMP-A30FE? I found that the previous link mrwalkman.ml doesn't exist now, but in the newer website nwmods.ml there is neither the Project Z firmware nor the DMP-A30 one. I really like your work. It brings my A30 alive again. I'm now using WM1Z mod but really want the language learning and such functions back, so please reply me and give me an available link of Project Z or DMP-A30. THANKS MUCH!
They are no longer available so you will need to find somebody who still have them. I have most of them but only for the WM1 models

Dec 9, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #6,433 of 8,232
They are no longer available so you will need to find somebody who still have them. I have most of them but only for the WM1 models
Well how can I find those who have these firmwares? I can't identify whether one has or not.

Dec 9, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #6,434 of 8,232

As I don't own an A30, I wasn't able to get the A50 firmware work on it, so it doesn't exist for the A30.

In any case, all this was done with sound quality in mind. The WM1A/Z firmware sounds much better than the A50 one.

The last firmware available is the most stable and sounds the best, so I don't encourage trying to use older versions.

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #6,435 of 8,232
As I don't own an A30, I wasn't able to get the A50 firmware work on it, so it doesn't exist for the A30.

In any case, all this was done with sound quality in mind. The WM1A/Z firmware sounds much better than the A50 one.

The last firmware available is the most stable and sounds the best, so I don't encourage trying to use older versions.
Well but the UI of the WM1A/Z firmware seems stretched. And the volume bar really annoyed me:D
By the way language learning function, as I mentioned, is the function which I really need, but the stock one is really slow.
So if you can, please...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back