Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 9, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #6,436 of 8,232
Well but the UI of the WM1A/Z firmware seems stretched. And the volume bar really annoyed me:D
By the way language learning function, as I mentioned, is the function which I really need, but the stock one is really slow.

I tried bringing back FM Radio, and it just doesn't exist at all in the WM1A/Z firmware, so probably the Language Learning function also doesn't exist.

Again, the aim is sound quality, and it cannot be fully achieved with the A50 firmware, so I'm perfectly fine with not having FM Radio and other functions that A30 had.

The UI being a little more condensed seems like nothing to me, in comparison to the sound quality.

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #6,437 of 8,232
I tried bringing back FM Radio, and it just doesn't exist at all in the WM1A/Z firmware, so probably the Language Learning function also doesn't exist.

Again, the aim is sound quality, and it cannot be fully achieved with the A50 firmware, so I'm perfectly fine with not having FM Radio and other functions that A30 had.

The UI being a little more condensed seems like nothing to me, in comparison to the sound quality.
Okay, I know what you mean. Sound quality does matters. But yeah in fact I still need those A50 functions. So I may try to ask someone else who saved this type of firmware.

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #6,438 of 8,232
Okay, I know what you mean. Sound quality does matters. But yeah in fact I still need those A50 functions. So I may try to ask someone else who saved this type of firmware.

I already mentioned above that there was no A50 firmware for A30, only for A40.

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #6,439 of 8,232
I already mentioned above that there was no A50 firmware for A30, only for A40.
So how about DMP-A30? Still I want to try DMP's sound.

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #6,440 of 8,232
So how about DMP-A30? Still I want to try DMP's sound.

DMP-A30 is based on the ZX300 firmware, so there's still no Language Learning function or FM Radio.

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #6,441 of 8,232
DMP-A30 is based on the ZX300 firmware, so there's still no Language Learning function or FM Radio.
OK, but any link avaliable? For I want to compare the WM1Z one and the DMP one, and about those functions maybe they are not that important.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #6,442 of 8,232
OK, but any link avaliable? For I want to compare the WM1Z one and the DMP one, and about those functions maybe they are not that important.

No, there is no link available, because:
- I don't keep older firmware versions
- newer firmware versions are more stable to install/uninstall (DMP-A30, in this case, can sometimes put your player in a bootloop when you try to uninstall it)
- a better version of the DMP-A30 (ZX300 based) sound can be found in the Walkman One (WM1A/Z based) firmware as the "Bright" sound signature

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #6,443 of 8,232
I had published the specifications of the DMP-A30 on another forum. But I didn't keep the files after I uploaded WalkmanOne.

As explained by MrWalkman, DMP-A30 based on the ZX300's FW removed all the specific features of the A30. To keep them for specific needs, it is better to keep or reinstall the FW Stock temporarily. But when it comes to sound quality, there's no hesitation: WalkmanOne outperforms the older published FWs.

As a reminder, the text that accompanied the launch of the DMP-A30:
Added features:
- sound signature aimed at resembling the one of the DMP-Z1
- DSEE AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported
- Bluetooth Receiver function
- USB DAC function
- 10 band equalizer
- Vinyl Processor with 4 selectable modes
- Visualizers: Spectrum Analyzer / Analog VU Meter / Digital Peak Meter
- Direct Source replacing ClearAudio + (cannot play DSD and MQA files while this is enabled)

Disabled features:
- FM Radio
- Noise canceling
- Language study
- VPT Surround
- NFC (not working)

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #6,444 of 8,232
hi, would just like to ask, i think the firmware i have on my wm1a is the one before the big update on september but o already forgot what version it is as it has been several months now got busy and not able to enjoy my audio gear until now. If i am to install the latest one, can i just do that by resetting my wm1a? thanks in advance. I remember there was a file to run to revert to stock or to remove the custom firmware but I also had my laptop reformatted so i dont have the files anymore...

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #6,445 of 8,232
hi, would just like to ask, i think the firmware i have on my wm1a is the one before the big update on september but o already forgot what version it is as it has been several months now got busy and not able to enjoy my audio gear until now. If i am to install the latest one, can i just do that by resetting my wm1a? thanks in advance. I remember there was a file to run to revert to stock or to remove the custom firmware but I also had my laptop reformatted so i dont have the files anymore...

1639067045309.png

https://www.nwmods.ml/p/sony-wm1a-wm1z-custom-firmware.html

You can check what firmware you have installed at the moment in the Unit Information menu.

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #6,447 of 8,232
Woop, A45 is here. Sadly my paralells desktop is out of the trial and i dont want to buy it. Hmmm.

Love the form factor, excited to hear walkman one on it.

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #6,448 of 8,232
Woop, A45 is here. Sadly my paralells desktop is out of the trial and i dont want to buy it. Hmmm.

Love the form factor, excited to hear walkman one on it.

Nice!

If you have enough space (about 20-30 GB maybe), you could give a try to Boot Camp. I tried it once, and it worked very well. After you delete the Boot Camp partition, everything is back as it was before.

In the meantime, I guess you have the chance to try the stock sound quality.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #6,449 of 8,232
Nice!

If you have enough space (about 20-30 GB maybe), you could give a try to Boot Camp. I tried it once, and it worked very well. After you delete the Boot Camp partition, everything is back as it was before.

In the meantime, I guess you have the chance to try the stock sound quality.
Im on an m1 mac :frowning2:

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #6,450 of 8,232

Users who are viewing this thread

Back