Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jul 2, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #4,907 of 8,278
is it possible to use the remote with an android phone?
I don’t know but I doubt it, I think it is made specifically to only work with SonyOS WM players, don’t know if it even work with the Sony Android Walkmans

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #4,908 of 8,278
Jul 2, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #4,910 of 8,278
Nice, thanks! :heart_eyes:

They are only available in japan, right?!
I haven't been successful with 2 phones I tried it on but it is promising he has it pairing.
I think you can find on ebay, otherwise there are good buying agents in Japan that you can purchase through and they will ship - I haven't tried any but Zenmarket seems to get good feedback.

Jul 2, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #4,911 of 8,278
Nice, thanks! :heart_eyes:

They are only available in japan, right?!
Yes. They are made in my country, Malaysia together with the walkmans and most other Sony devices but its not available for purchase here. It’s weird. I had to order my remote from japan as well.

Jul 4, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #4,912 of 8,278
So I finally got around to trying FEv2 - my new Traillii forced me to move from Midnight, which was not a great match. I really should have tried it earlier - it feels more polished as well as matching with the Bird fantastically. I'll give the Z1R and Odin a whirl later. Thanks @Queen6 for championing it!

Jul 4, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #4,913 of 8,278
So I finally got around to trying FEv2 - my new Traillii forced me to move from Midnight, which was not a great match. I really should have tried it earlier - it feels more polished as well as matching with the Bird fantastically. I'll give the Z1R and Odin a whirl later. Thanks @Queen6 for championing it!
IER-Z1R sound great with FEv2

Jul 4, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #4,914 of 8,278
Thx. I do recommend FEv2 on region E or J. Takes time to adjust to the sound signature coming from Midnight etc which is rather coloured IMHO. FEv2 presents a lot more detail with a wider dynamic range with both Classic and Plus modes having few if any drawbacks. The attack of the notes is immediately apparent with FEv2 versus the more sanitised/smoothed Midnight. Personally I want my music to be alive & visceral, of all the CFW FEv2 is the only one that delivers that raw edge album after album :o2smile:

The one drawback of FEv2 is that the CFW may not suit brighter some focused headgear, equally on neutral and or headgear with bass shelf FEv2 is very impressive. The texture of the music is superb as the CFW compliments yet never intrudes. Bass especially on region E is provoking having superb texture, depth & impact equally as intended not blown out to meet a predefined curve.

TLDR FEv2 just sounds right; strikes the balance, adds a little Sony flavour without compromising the artists intention most of all FEv2 sounds alive :sunglasses:

Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend
folder.jpg
If into the genre, you'll know what to do, nor will you be disappointed

Q-6

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #4,915 of 8,278
Fully agree with your thoughts on FEv2 - it seems to work ok even with the Odin, which I thought may be a bit bright for it. There is a certain dynamic edge that midnight lacks in comparison. I’ll be experimenting with plus tomorrow!

Jul 4, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #4,916 of 8,278
I must try FEv2, I've been on midnight classic or plus for a couple of months now - been a bit lazy to load up Windows on the Mac! Curious to hear how it differs with various IEMs.

Jul 4, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #4,917 of 8,278
Yeah FEv2 has been my jam too. Finally reached 200 hours on my WM1A today. I am one of those who went to CFW almost immediately, after my initial not-quite-30 hours of initial burn-in/battery drain for calibration (honestly, went CFW to fix the stock FW album art issue with progressive jpg). FEv2 came across as too lean, almost brittle when my unit had so few hours on it. I dallied with both Midnight & Dawn (actually preferred Dawn between those two, at least with minimal hours on the device); Region E preference by a mile for me too.

However, once I had 100 hours, it was all FEv2 for me. The others couldn't stand up to it at all. YMMV as always.

I might give Dawn another chance some time, but I like what I hear so much, ehhh, probably not.

Jul 4, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #4,918 of 8,278
Yeah FEv2 has been my jam too. Finally reached 200 hours on my WM1A today. I am one of those who went to CFW almost immediately, after my initial not-quite-30 hours of initial burn-in/battery drain for calibration (honestly, went CFW to fix the stock FW album art issue with progressive jpg). FEv2 came across as too lean, almost brittle when my unit had so few hours on it. I dallied with both Midnight & Dawn (actually preferred Dawn between those two, at least with minimal hours on the device); Region E preference by a mile for me too.

However, once I had 100 hours, it was all FEv2 for me. The others couldn't stand up to it at all. YMMV as always.

I might give Dawn another chance some time, but I like what I hear so much, ehhh, probably not.
The 100 hour mark is certainly the critical one. Everything just settles so much.

I think Dawn was meant to improve on FEv2 but never really did, so doubt you’re missing much on that.

The only thing left to wait for is the release of an updated midnight that some lucky folk received for testing purposes. Hopefully one day Mr Walkman gets a chance to sort that out!

Jul 5, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #4,919 of 8,278

The 100 hour mark is certainly the critical one. Everything just settles so much.

I think Dawn was meant to improve on FEv2 but never really did, so doubt you’re missing much on that.

The only thing left to wait for is the release of an updated midnight that some lucky folk received for testing purposes. Hopefully one day Mr Walkman gets a chance to sort that out!

Easy 2K hours here on WM1A, don't know exactly as have factory reset several times to clear out any remnants of CFW. Dawn is decent, however suffers from over expansion of the sound stage, similar to Midnight and has the same distortion/reverb on Plus mode. To me it's more than the 1A/1Z HW can hold up, nor how many albums were recorded or intended to be listened to by the artist which results in what I can best describe as a smearing/stretching of the vocals across the sound stage.

FEv2 on region E presents a very accurate, or at least a believable sound stage with tremendous placement, imaging of vocals and instrument's. I'm a big proponent of live music, I want that bite, the attack, that delivery, most of all the energy that only music can deliver. I don't want my music to be sanitised, diluted, overly smoothed just sounds off to me, similar to the excessive use of Auto Tune in production, all the magic is lost :frowning2:

For owners of newer WM1A/Z you need to pass the 200 hour mark for FEv2 & region E to remotely make sense, less than 100 hours the combination will sound harsh, if not brittle. As the hours build FEv2 & region E really matures to be something special that few other DAP's deliver, outside of R2R players...

Q-6

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #4,920 of 8,278
The Cranberries - No need to Argue
600x600bb.jpg
Empty, convincingly real...

Q-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back