Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jun 30, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #4,891 of 8,249
Wonder how difficult it would be to make the remote work with other regions?

Jun 30, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #4,892 of 8,249
Not a clue.

Me personally Ive tried using it but unfortunately my device isnt compatible. Wrong BT AVRCP version i believe. I can't downgrade to 1.3 but i can go up to 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6.

If it isn't that for me then idk what it is. Literally just doesn't pick up the device for me.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #4,893 of 8,249
Not a clue.

Me personally Ive tried using it but unfortunately my device isnt compatible. Wrong BT AVRCP version i believe. I can't downgrade to 1.3 but i can go up to 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6.

If it isn't that for me then idk what it is. Literally just doesn't pick up the device for me.
What are 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6 ?
there are no such fw versions for the players as far as I know.
You can only use Sony's own Walkman BT remote with these players and only with certain regions.

Jun 30, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #4,894 of 8,249
My comment had nothing to do with FW. I was just simply saying ive never been able to use the remote control for whatever reason. And I'm pretty sure in my case the AVRCP version is why i cant use it. This is the only thing i can find that doesn't line up.
Was only merely suggesting that should the function be able to be expanded to other FW/Regions if it would be possible to also possibly be able to change the version.

Attachments

• 20210630_135447.jpg
    20210630_135447.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210630-135616_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20210630-135616_Settings.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #4,895 of 8,249
Since getting my TA-ZH1ES I haven't spent much time with my 1A (J region) so I might be getting confused here: I had found FEv2 suited my previous iems better than Dawn and Midnight, then when I got my IER-Z1R I thought I'd try Midnight as many others were using that set up and as it sounded pleasing I just left it on that one, which also made a nice change.
Some recent talk about FEv2 being considered by some to be technically better had me going back to try it, I quite like it but find it brighter than Midnight Plus. Has anyone had the experience of trying the different combination of Midnight Plus and FEv2 on J and E - I am wondering what the difference of brighter E region with a warmer firmware vs warmer J with a brighter firmware is? I can't find the time to sit down and experiment at the moment, but also like to hear others opinions.

Jun 30, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #4,896 of 8,249
My comment had nothing to do with FW. I was just simply saying ive never been able to use the remote control for whatever reason. And I'm pretty sure in my case the AVRCP version is why i cant use it. This is the only thing i can find that doesn't line up.
Was only merely suggesting that should the function be able to be expanded to other FW/Regions if it would be possible to also possibly be able to change the version.
The Sony remote is a physical piece of hw not an app on an Android phone

82C422F4-F76A-47A3-A7E1-DCBC78948E25.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #4,897 of 8,249
Hi guys, I am torn between the WM1A and the A55, is it possible to quantify their SQ difference? like, can an A55 running on CFW perform maybe like 80-90% of WM1A's SQ?Is the resolution of WM1A leaps ahead of the A55? Resolution seems like what sets apart budget IEMs and high end ones for me, does it work the same in daps? Thanks

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #4,898 of 8,249
Hi guys, I am torn between the WM1A and the A55, is it possible to quantify their SQ difference? like, can an A55 running on CFW perform maybe like 80-90% of WM1A's SQ?Is the resolution of WM1A leaps ahead of the A55? Resolution seems like what sets apart budget IEMs and high end ones for me, does it work the same in daps? Thanks
I have never tried the 1A but I can say that while my modded 1Z is clearly better, had I had an A55 with MrWalkman fw I might never have bought the 1Z as I would have found the A55 plenty good enough for my travel needs which is where I use my dap

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #4,899 of 8,249
I have never tried the 1A but I can say that while my modded 1Z is clearly better, had I had an A55 with MrWalkman fw I might never have bought the 1Z as I would have found the A55 plenty good enough for my travel needs which is where I use my dap
cool! thank you for helping my wallet!:beerchug:

Jul 2, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #4,900 of 8,249
As far as resolution goes I don't think the A55 lacks in any way on that. It supports LDAC BT which is around (~900-1000kbps) and as far as the wired 3.5mm jack, pretty much no quality limit.

The biggest flaw i can point about the A55 is its battery life. If you listen to music a ton (me) then it may not get you a very long time. Basically a daily charge. I can expect maybe 7 or 8 hours of playback.
And in my case i get a pesky little error every now and then where i have to restart but im on discontinued FW (DMP-A50R) which is the most modified one of the 3. But it could cause issues for all of the other devices in the A50 Series but the A55.

Now depending on the impedance of your headphones / system there is a chance you'll be pretty high up on volume.

I definitely don't have the best system nor music but it sounds very good regardless. Plenty of detail.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #4,901 of 8,249
As far as resolution goes I don't think the A55 lacks in any way on that. It supports LDAC BT which is around (~900-1000kbps) and as far as the wired 3.5mm jack, pretty much no quality limit.

The biggest flaw i can point about the A55 is its battery life. If you listen to music a ton (me) then it may not get you a very long time. Basically a daily charge. I can expect maybe 7 or 8 hours of playback.
And in my case i get a pesky little error every now and then where i have to reatart but im on discontinued FW (DMP-A50R) which is the most modified one of the 3. But it could cause issues for all of the other devices in the A50 Series but the A55.

Now depending on the impedance of your headphones / system there is a chance you'll be pretty high up on volume.

I definitely don't have the best system nor music but it sounds very good regardless. Plenty of detail.
Wired I get 12-15 hours depending on using Plus mode or not. BT LDAC gives 7-8 hours

Jul 2, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #4,902 of 8,249
Weird. I get significantly less. But i also do have that battery setting on. But that shouldn't be a 5 hour difference. But then again i dont keep Direct source on as my audio files are not clear enough to keep it on at least to me. so all of those settings must draw more.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #4,903 of 8,249
Weird. I get significantly less. But i also do have that battery setting on. But that shouldn't be a 5 hour difference. But then again i dont keep Direct source on as my audio files are not clear enough to keep it on at least to me. so all of those settings must draw more.
I run on source direct. Using eq and/or dsee or other dsp features will consume 20-30% more battery

Jul 2, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #4,905 of 8,249
I think the battery life of DAPs also may depend on a few factors:
1) Lossless versus lossy files used
2) Additional DAP effects used eg DSP, Plus mode on Sony Mr Walkman Firmware
3) Whether screen is left on, brightness level etc
4) Volume used at
5) Wired versus wireless mode

So those that use lossless files predominantly, with DAP effects all on/max screen brightness may get lesser battery life. And of course with repeated charges, battery life is also expected to go down over time.

FWIW I generally get close to 20 hours with the A55, wired, FLAC files and with all the DAP settings off, on Mr Walkman FEv2, screen off and low volumes mostly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back