Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jun 29, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #4,876 of 8,232
Not correct - it does work for flac. I think DSD is the one where BT fails.
Clearly not the best choice of words in my case.

I mean as i use AptX not AptX HD or LDAC.
AptX is limited to a 352kbps 16 Bit.
By that i was just curious if i could spot any difference between that and hooking it up via jack and going all the way up to 24 bit.

Now i haven't actually gotten to test those yet, i just went ahead and tested some of the VBR Flacs because my other download is over a Gig and i haven't moved them over to the Walkman yet.

And damn is there detail that i haven't heard before. I don't know if its from it being higher quality or just the fact its properly recorded and not adjusted by some other platform and maybe degraded further. But none of that matters because its clear..

Coming from lower res mp3 files 256kbps as low as 128kbps, I'm sure there will be large differences between tracks. I normally never kept direct source on because of the fact my files are so low quality lol.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #4,877 of 8,232
Clearly not the best choice of words in my case.

I mean as i use AptX not AptX HD or LDAC.
AptX is limited to a 352kbps 16 Bit.
By that i was just curious if i could spot any difference between that and hooking it up via jack and going all the way up to 24 bit.

Now i haven't actually gotten to test those yet, i just went ahead and tested some of the VBR Flacs because my other download is over a Gig and i haven't moved them over to the Walkman yet.

And damn is there detail that i haven't heard before. I don't know if its from it being higher quality or just the fact its properly recorded and not adjusted by some other platform and maybe degraded further. But none of that matters because its clear..

Coming from lower res mp3 files 256kbps as low as 128kbps, I'm sure there will be large differences between tracks. I normally never kept direct source on because of the fact my files are so low quality lol.
This october will mark 10 years i made the switch to lossless

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #4,878 of 8,232
This october will mark 10 years i made the switch to lossless
Congrats, quite a milestone
I'm only just now trying to start swapping over, but that's going to take a very long time for me and a lot of money. But ill get there eventually.

But gotta wait until after i grad.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #4,879 of 8,232
Congrats, quite a milestone
I'm only just now trying to start swapping over, but that's going to take a very long time for me and a lot of money. But ill get there eventually.

But gotta wait until after i grad.
For me to find wverything took 5 years and to swap CD to Hi-res and DSD amother 2

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #4,881 of 8,232
My buying priority:

Physical SACD
DSD
Hi-res AIFF
Vinyl
Physical CD

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #4,882 of 8,232
My buying priority:

Physical SACD
DSD
Hi-res AIFF
Vinyl
Physical CD
I used to be a radio DJ for some years about 2 decades ago and had the liberty of having a huge collection CDs. And then I started buying SACDs. I have close to 1000 CDs and probably around 150 SACDs. I also have around 150 Vinyls that I regularly dust out, clean and play. For digital formats, my preference is in this order:
1. FLAC 88.2 and above
2. ALAC/AIFF/APE/MQA
3. DSD

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #4,884 of 8,232
If your headphone supports AptX HD or LDAC, use those. With the MrWalkman firmware, even the old A30 is capable of AptX HD!
Thats clear but they don't sadly. Good Sennheiser HD1 M2 IEBT don't support AptX HD

Jun 29, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #4,885 of 8,232
I used to be a radio DJ for some years about 2 decades ago and had the liberty of having a huge collection CDs. And then I started buying SACDs. I have close to 1000 CDs and probably around 150 SACDs. I also have around 150 Vinyls that I regularly dust out, clean and play. For digital formats, my preference is in this order:
1. FLAC 88.2 and above
2. ALAC/AIFF/APE/MQA
3. DSD
I have also close to 160 SACD more than 3000 CD quality album

Jun 30, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #4,887 of 8,232
Jun 30, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #4,888 of 8,232
Try E as well, I swap between J and E
I'll give it a try. What sound differences do you hear between J and E? I've only ever used J, which I switched to as soon as I received my 1Z simply to get rid of the awful EU capping.

Jun 30, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #4,889 of 8,232
I'll give it a try. What sound differences do you hear between J and E? I've only ever used J, which I switched to as soon as I received my 1Z simply to get rid of the awful EU capping.
E has a slightly brighter overall sound. More revealing and there’s distinct elevation between 4-8k. J is warmer but also detailed enough on its own. Depends on whether you like a brighter or more warmer sound. Both are great and I was on E but switched back to J due to some peaks in the high mids that I’m sensitive to. J is the best overall for me.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #4,890 of 8,232
E seems to have more edge and attack where J seems more relaxed and warm. Both are very good and I was eagerly awaiting MrWalkmans idea that he might have been able to implement the ability to change region from the gui rather than having to do it via the RockBox tool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back