Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 13, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #3,721 of 8,249
Interesting that region J has different sound as do the other regions. I will put region J on my Sony WM1A and test the other regions too.

I finally got reply from CustomCams. They can make a balanced cable for my Beyerdynamic T5P with a 4.4mm jack for my Sony WM1A for £97. However, I don’t know if I could get this cheaper elsewhere. Amazon used to sell them for £35 but they don’t sell them now.
It's not a dramatic change, however the change in signature can be discerned across regions. As long as you plan to keep the T5P and the cable of decent quality think is fair enough. Generally I only change the cable due to needing balanced and opt for good quality, equally I can just visit a cable maker and have it built to my spec as per the Ananda's.

Q-6

Feb 13, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #3,722 of 8,249
after a few days going from Project Z and back to stock, I have a better understanding of what Sony does in terms of applying DSP to the sound signature. Earlier versions 2.0 and earlier had a better low end that 3.0 and later.

Once I gave the 3 series firmware a go, I sense way more reverb which I suspect it is meant to expand stage and imaging. Project Z has none of that and just presents to my ears as smooth accurate sound.

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #3,723 of 8,249
The 1A/1Z certainly offer a great deal of flexibility versus the vast majority of other DAP's on the market Thx to @MrWalkman custom firmware. You might get lucky on a used DMP-Z1 as the pricing isn't so wild. Locally new on us around $7,300 USD, have seen cheaper, however as with many the pandemic has created it's own level of personal chaos making such purchases a non-priority whatsoever.

Q-6
I bought DMP-Z1 with a pretty good price in 2019, around $7,000 USD. Recently heard that the price go back to list price due to the demnd.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #3,724 of 8,249
You’re entering into murky territory there!

what materials are the competing products made from? Pure copper, SPC or silver? (I doubt silver for the price, but if FiiO can do it…), although this is one of the most controversial topics (cable debating is generally a no-no), the order in which I’ve listed them will determine if nothing else the treble power (from weakest to most prominent) is on offer, but it isn’t necessarily a night and day difference, and plenty of people hear no difference at all…

all I will add is that the Amazon cheaper cables tend to fail (in my experience), compared to those made by a major manufacturer / custom.
I did pickup what sold as all silver IEM cable on Aliexpress for $70 USD 2 years ago. The connectors were crap and the wire broke at the 4.4mm jack after 2 months. Never again will I buy cables there.

Feb 13, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #3,725 of 8,249
after a few days going from Project Z and back to stock, I have a better understanding of what Sony does in terms of applying DSP to the sound signature. Earlier versions 2.0 and earlier had a better low end that 3.0 and later.

Once I gave the 3 series firmware a go, I sense way more reverb which I suspect it is meant to expand stage and imaging. Project Z has none of that and just presents to my ears as smooth accurate sound.
I have tried some test with some stock fw. The version 2.0 is the best fw than later for 1A. But with the 1Z the latest stock FW is the best. I think that maybe sony did it on purpose, but now it doesn't matter to me anymore, I'm very happy with project Z( Classic). Thanks again for @MrWalkman who bring the sony 1A/Z to the new level. Enjoy music!

Feb 13, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #3,726 of 8,249
I spent some time this afternoon comparing all of the latest @MrWalkman firmwares on my 1A and 1Z. For the IEM I used my Campfire Solaris 2020 with AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC tips and a DHC Clone Silver balanced cable.

Luckily I have two Sony WM1A players and was able to compare Project Z (Plus) on one 1A directly against another 1A running DMP-WM1 FE (Plus) and my 1Z.

So here is the configurations tested:

WM1Z running DMP-WM1 FE (Plus)
WM1A running Project Z (Plus)
WM1A running DMP-WM1 FE (Plus)

Here are the tracks I used for testing:

Helplessly Hoping - Crosby, Stills and Nash - Crosby, Stills and Nash (24/96)
Cathedral - CSN - Crosby, Stills and Nash (24/96)
Landslide - Fleetwood Mac (Remastered) - Fleetwood Mac (24/96)
World Turning - Fleetwood Mac (Remastered) - Fleetwood Mac (24/96)
Don't Give Up - So - Peter Gabriel (DSD)
American Idiot - American Idiot - Green Day (24/192)
California - Blue - Joni Mitchel (24/192)
The Patient - Lateralus - Tool (24/96)
Invincible - Fear Inoculum - Tool (24/96)

The tracks were chosen for multiple reasons. Vocals, instruments used and mastering.

The 1A running Project Z (Plus) has a deeper fuller sound over the WM1A running DMP-WM1 FE (Plus). It also has a wider more 3D soundstage along with improved details. I can understand why some people might prefer DMP-WM1 FE (Plus) over Project Z (Plus) if they have either a bass heavy IEM and/or not using an OCC silver cable. In either case, DMP-WM1 FE (Plus) is a huge improvement over the stock Sony firmware, but I prefer Project Z (Plus) over it.

I then compared my WM1Z running DMP-WM1 FE (Plus) to the WM1A running Project Z (Plus). The WM1Z running DMP-WM1 FE (Plus) has the deepest fullest low end with the smoothest details and a larger more 3D soundstage. The NW-WM1A Project Z (Plus) comes close but not as full or smooth. This is most likely due to the differences in hardware.

So to me with the IEM configuration I tested, the overall winner was the 1Z running DMP-WM1 FE (Plus).

Feb 13, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #3,727 of 8,249
I spent some time this afternoon comparing all of the latest @MrWalkman firmwares on my 1A and 1Z. For the IEM I used my Campfire Solaris 2020 with AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC tips and a DHC Clone Silver balanced cable.

Luckily I have two Sony WM1A players and was able to compare Project Z (Plus) on one 1A directly against another 1A running DMP-WM1 FE (Plus) and my 1Z.

So here is the configurations tested:

WM1Z running DMP-WM1 FE (Plus)
WM1A running Project Z (Plus)
WM1A running DMP-WM1 FE (Plus)

Here are the tracks I used for testing:

Helplessly Hoping - Crosby, Stills and Nash - Crosby, Stills and Nash (24/96)
Cathedral - CSN - Crosby, Stills and Nash (24/96)
Landslide - Fleetwood Mac (Remastered) - Fleetwood Mac (24/96)
World Turning - Fleetwood Mac (Remastered) - Fleetwood Mac (24/96)
Don't Give Up - So - Peter Gabriel (DSD)
American Idiot - American Idiot - Green Day (24/192)
California - Blue - Joni Mitchel (24/192)
The Patient - Lateralus - Tool (24/96)
Invincible - Fear Inoculum - Tool (24/96)

The tracks were chosen for multiple reasons. Vocals, instruments used and mastering.

The 1A running Project Z (Plus) has a deeper fuller sound over the WM1A running DMP-WM1 FE (Plus). It also has a wider more 3D soundstage along with improved details. I can understand why some people might prefer DMP-WM1 FE (Plus) over Project Z (Plus) if they have either a bass heavy IEM and/or not using an OCC silver cable. In either case, DMP-WM1 FE (Plus) is a huge improvement over the stock Sony firmware, but I prefer Project Z (Plus) over it.

I then compared my WM1Z running DMP-WM1 FE (Plus) to the WM1A running Project Z (Plus). The WM1Z running DMP-WM1 FE (Plus) has the deepest fullest low end with the smoothest details and a larger more 3D soundstage. The NW-WM1A Project Z (Plus) comes close but not as full or smooth. This is most likely due to the differences in hardware.

So to me with the IEM configuration I tested, the overall winner was the 1Z running DMP-WM1 FE (Plus).
i'll take that 1a with $2000 gladly over 1z and spend on proper desktop dac/amp hehe

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #3,728 of 8,249
i'll take that 1a with $2000 gladly over 1z and spend on proper desktop dac/amp hehe
But if you can afford it, the 1Z is the best TOTL DAP on the market. I'm glad I have one.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #3,729 of 8,249
Any idea what the upcoming firmware for the A50 Series signature is aimed at when compared to project Z and the DMP-FEv2 firmware's if you don't mind me asking?

I still cannot seem to find the balance between them, they're just so different and better in in its own ways.

Also what is this im hearing changing regions has a different sound? Is this true?
@MrWalkman

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #3,730 of 8,249
What headphone jack are you guys using to take advantage of the DMP-WM1 FEv2 and Project Z firmware? The reason I ask is because I’ve installed the DMP-WM1 FEv2 firmware and the ext tuning but I only hear a slight improvement in sound quality.

I was wondering if you guys were using the balanced jack to get the better sound quality with the DMP-WM1 firmwares.

I have my Beyerdynamic T5P plugged into the standard 3.5mm headphone jack on my WM1A and listening to 320kbps MP3 files.

I use the standard 3.5 mm connect. Dont forget to have your hold button up when you start up your player, or its gonna sound kinda 'meh' because it'll be in 'Classic' mode. I did that the first two times I started the player after the download...

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #3,731 of 8,249
Any idea what the upcoming firmware for the A50 Series signature is aimed at when compared to project Z and the DMP-FEv2 firmware's if you don't mind me asking?

I still cannot seem to find the balance between them, they're just so different and better in in its own ways.

Also what is this im hearing changing regions has a different sound? Is this true?
@MrWalkman

It is a Project Z for A50 and yes changing region changes sound

Feb 13, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #3,732 of 8,249
But if you can afford it, the 1Z is the best TOTL DAP on the market. I'm glad I have one.
How about Project Z+ with WM1Z?

Mine are both 1Z modded, so am not sure how original 1Z sound using Project Z/Z+

Will it be extremely warm? My feeling is no, it should improve original 1Z by a great deal while having great analogue sound, but couldn’t be sure

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #3,733 of 8,249

Thank you for this comparison! I was waiting for your comparison because we have a similar setup (WM1A and Campfire Solaris 2020), but I have the JVC Spiral Dots ++ and the stock Campfire Audio Super Litz cable in balanced 4.4mm configuration. I have listened to the DMP-WM1 FE (Plus) for a week, Project Z (Plus) for another week, and recently switched back to the FE (Plus). I agree that the Project Z (Plus) firmware has a much fuller sound with a bigger (more three-dimensional) soundstage. However, I found that it can sometimes be too warm (too thick?), which in turn, can cover up some of the details. Occasionally, even lower female voices can sound too thick, as if slightly muffled. When I switched back to the DMP-WM1 FE (Plus), it sounded refreshing, with increased details and seems to have better imaging, but sacrificing the bigger soundstage of Project Z (Plus). Perhaps, as you suggested, not using an OCC silver cable may have created a sound that is too warm when using Project Z (Plus).

Edit: Typos

Feb 13, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #3,734 of 8,249
Thank you for this comparison! I was waiting for your comparison because we have a similar setup (WM1A and Campfire Solaris 2020), but I have the JVC Spiral Dots ++ and the stock Campfire Audio Super Litz cable in balanced 4.4mm configuration. I have listened to the DMP-WM1 FE (Plus) for a week, Project Z (Plus) for another week, and recently switched back to the FE (Plus). I agree that the Project Z (Plus) firmware has a much fuller sound with a bigger (more three-dimensional) soundstage. However, I found that it can sometimes be too warm (too thick?), which in turn, can cover up some of the details. Occasionally, even lower female voices can sound too thick, as if slightly muffled. When I switched back to the DMP-WM1 FE (Plus), it sounded refreshing, with increased details and seems to have better imaging, but sacrificing the bigger soundstage of Project Z (Plus). Perhaps, as you suggested, not using an OCC silver cable may have created a sound that is too warm when using Project Z (Plus).

Edit: Typos
The warmness you are hearing is due to the cable. An OCC silver cable will remove the over warmness while keeping the deep bass and add details to it. That type of cable is a game changer.

Feb 13, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #3,735 of 8,249
The warmness you are hearing is due to the cable. An OCC silver cable will remove the over warmness while keeping the deep bass and add details to it. That type of cable is a game changer.

Ah! I took at look at the DHC Clone Silver. At this time, I'm not sure I want to spend that much money on IEM cables. Maybe something to consider if I get a bonus next month :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back