Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 15, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #3,751 of 8,232
Yes I know you are. However, I can’t seem to find any with the 3.5mm jacks that go into the headphone cups with the 4.4mm jack at the other end if the cable apart from the £97 cable from CustomCans and the Ablet silver plated cable for £40 I seen elsewhere.

I am just wanting to know if anyone knows if the Ablet cable is a good quality balanced cable for my T5P amd WM1A?

You'll get them on AliExpress... here's one example, select 'color' to choose the option for 4.4mm to 2 x 3.5mm. I have a balanced cable on the way for my HD650 from AliExpress.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPmbqmJ

Feb 15, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #3,752 of 8,232
I extensively tried all the firmwares on the A55 - I think the DMP-A50 R (bit buggy) has the most competitive sound quality; it's clean, studio neutral-accurate, explosive dynamics, wide and light footed and zippy; because it's so clean there's no harshness or digital haze coming through resulting in less listening fatigue (even if it's not necessarily a "warm" tuning).

The other firmwares gave me bit of listening fatigue, like there was some grayness/dsp going on in the background - maybe because they were based on the lesser: A50 firmware - the DSP section was perhaps not as clean and it can't be turned off completely, resulting in some grayness/lowfi seeping in.

The sacrifice is no FM Radio, no nfc, no line in recording, no line out, and some bugs with error message coming up from time to time - I can live with this as the SQ is a big upgrade over the other fws I think.

If I were to nitpick I'd wish for a little more note weight and warmth, but I also admire the zippy and studio nature as is now.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #3,753 of 8,232
Checked in last night to see two versions for the a55 have been released since I started using the original FE version. Thought it was incredible that Mr.Walkman was able to get a40 users the bluetooth receiver function, to me it is a godsend at work when I need to watch videos, vastly improves the sound quality from the garbage onboard laptop DAC, and also very convenient if I just want to get up from your desk from time to time. Such an amazing feature and incredible you can get that from a free firmware update.

Just upgraded and thought I would share some of my initial impressions:

Setup:
Sony NW-A55
Project Z +
Tin Audio T3 (foam tips)

Missy Higgins - On a Clear Night - Steer: A song from a very well produced Australian pop album. This song in particular is characterized by refined vocals and a moving bass line that complements the vocals and melodic instrumental extremely well - First thing I noticed off the bat, vocals come through stronger in the mix. Bass more authoritative and certainly tighter. This tends to apply to the whole mix, much more confident and spatially defined over the entire range which naturally equates to more precise imaging. You would never hear the words warm and tin audio tx in the same sentence, but I'll be damned if this latest firmware doesn't make them seem that way.

Ben Howard - Noonday Dream - Murmurations: A song from an album that is best described as 'busy' with an endlessly morphing soundscape and a wide array of effects. On most sources to date including the original FW vocals tend to get lost in the mix. I have long assumed too, that this song is inherently indecisive in its presentation, making it hard to discern individual aspects from the mix. With this FW, I have never heard the vocals so prominent nor the individual elements so transparent. Again, a warmth that belies the IEM's reputation.

Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales - Posters: Musically opposite in its simplicity to the aforementioned contender, but absurdly well produced, characterized by some of the cleanest and most visceral cymbal and drum hits I have heard on any track. I knew I was in for a treat with this one. Again, vocals well and truly the star of the show, declaring presence and solidarity I never knew was possible with these IEMs. The increased bass quantity and quality is immediately apparent too, it is not a subtle difference. Again, warm is the word. What I was waiting for was the high metallophone note that hits during the verse. The FW retains the attack and sparkle of this note whilst bolstering its presence due to the more authoritative presentation across the range.

I can see why a few in this thread have so far stated that the Z+ version may detract from inherently warm headphones/IEMs. Due to the extent to which this latest FW has gifted warmth to these often touted anemic pair of IEMs, I can easily envision very warm or bass heavy pairs getting too much of a good thing.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #3,754 of 8,232
Checked in last night to see two versions for the a55 have been released since I started using the original FE version. Thought it was incredible that Mr.Walkman was able to get a40 users the bluetooth receiver function, to me it is a godsend at work when I need to watch videos, vastly improves the sound quality from the garbage onboard laptop DAC, and also very convenient if I just want to get up from your desk from time to time. Such an amazing feature and incredible you can get that from a free firmware update.

Just upgraded and thought I would share some of my initial impressions:

Setup:
Sony NW-A55
Project Z +
Tin Audio T3

Where did you find Project Z for A55? I can only see A50Z and DMP-50 FEv2 on the website

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #3,756 of 8,232
My bad, it is the A50Z FW.

I found the A50Z too intense and fatiguing - it was warm but also hit too hard in the bass and the mids had some crunch to them which was too much for my gentle ears

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #3,757 of 8,232
You'll get them on AliExpress... here's one example, select 'color' to choose the option for 4.4mm to 2 x 3.5mm. I have a balanced cable on the way for my HD650 from AliExpress.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPmbqmJ

Meze sells on their website cables - the 99 series is 2x3,5mm + 2,5/3,5/4,4mm termination of your choice, for 119€. The 2,5mm balanced terminated cable seems to have been 50% discounted for a good few weeks now, I get mine from there. Even though I checked "normal" delivery, it arrived within 36 hrs

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #3,758 of 8,232
Meze sells on their website cables - the 99 series is 2x3,5mm + 2,5/3,5/4,4mm termination of your choice, for 119€. The 2,5mm balanced terminated cable seems to have been 50% discounted for a good few weeks now, I get mine from there. Even though I checked "normal" delivery, it arrived within 36 hrs

My HD650 4.4mm cost €38 on AliExpress, good reviews and looks like I'll have it later this week, that will have been 3 weeks or so - long enough but I wasn't in a hurry!

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msYh4DH

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #3,759 of 8,232
Testing out a future update, which is gonna arrive soon, for an overall cleaner, more spacious, and fuller sound signature for Project Z/FEv2.

Just had a great time revisiting this live album, and out of the SE port!

1613419981217.png

It's gonna be out soon, so there's no point in testing it additionally at the moment, but thanks for everyone who might be interested :)

And no, I didn't forget about the A30. Just needed a little break :wink:

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #3,761 of 8,232
Testing out a future update, which is gonna arrive soon, for an overall cleaner, more spacious, and fuller sound signature for Project Z/FEv2.

1613419981217.png

It's gonna be out soon, so there's no point in testing it additionally at the moment, but thanks for everyone who might be interested :)

If you thought FEv2 was it... or Project Z was it... wait until this next surprise :)
Been lucky to test run this new update... As written to @MrWalkman in a private message, this is like discovering music I have known for a while yet again finding things I did not notice and enjoying this new experience much. The wait will be worth it.

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #3,762 of 8,232

1613419981217.png

Is this for the A50?

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #3,763 of 8,232
Feb 15, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #3,764 of 8,232

Sounds very interesting! Been shifting between FEv2 & Project Z like mad. Just couldn’t make my mind up! Project Z too “dark/bassy”, FEv2 almost there but ever so in need of a little bass. But sticking to FEv2 for the resolution and great entertainment! Still very appreciated about your effort Mr.Walkman 🙏🏻

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #3,765 of 8,232
9D372ADA-DC9D-46D0-B59C-CCFADDD624A8.jpeg

Can’t wait for your future update. Currently running on DMP Z1 FE v2, still the best synergy with A8000

Users who are viewing this thread

• SUBA
Back