Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 13, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #3,736 of 8,232
Thank you for this comparison! I was waiting for your comparison because we have a similar setup (WM1A and Campfire Solaris 2020), but I have the JVC Spiral Dots ++ and the stock Campfire Audio Super Litz cable in balanced 4.4mm configuration. I have listened to the DMP-WM1 FE (Plus) for a week, Project Z (Plus) for another week, and recently switched back to the FE (Plus). I agree that the Project Z (Plus) firmware has a much fuller sound with a bigger (more three-dimensional) soundstage. However, I found that it can sometimes be too warm (too thick?), which in turn, can cover up some of the details. Occasionally, even lower female voices can sound too thick, as if slightly muffled. When I switched back to the DMP-WM1 FE (Plus), it sounded refreshing, with increased details and seems to have better imaging, but sacrificing the bigger soundstage of Project Z (Plus). Perhaps, as you suggested, not using an OCC silver cable may have created a sound that is too warm when using Project Z (Plus).

Edit: Typos
A cheaper improvement would be to change your tips. Spiral Dot tips are good, but can be too warm. I would recommend getting Azla Sedna tips. It’s expensive but worth it, I tried all the different tips, Sedna is the clearest and most natural sounding, without exegeration in bass treble, and no cutoff in both either. And yes, I would rate Azla Sedna tips higher than JVC Spiral Dots

Highly recommended for universal iems

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #3,737 of 8,232
A cheaper improvement would be to change your tips. Spiral Dot tips are good, but can be too warm. I would recommend getting Azla Sedna tips. It’s expensive but worth it, I tried all the different tips, Sedna is the clearest and most natural sounding, without exegeration in bass treble, and no cutoff in both either

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried the Azla Sedna tips before (but it was a few months ag). I tried the SednaEarfitLight Short and XELASTEC. From my memory, I think the treble was too much for me, especially with more modern pop music. Unfortunately, they also irritate my ear, so I can't wear them for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #3,738 of 8,232
Ah! I took at look at the DHC Clone Silver. At this time, I'm not sure I want to spend that much money on IEM cables. Maybe something to consider if I get a bonus next month :wink:
The DHC Symbiote SP V3 OCC Silver Type 4 Litz is almost have the price. Based on my discussions with Peter Bradstock (DHC owner) you would only lose some of the low end.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #3,739 of 8,232
The DHC Symbiote SP V3 OCC Silver Type 4 Litz is almost have the price. Based on my discussions with Peter Bradstock (DHC owner) you would only lose some of the low end.
I'll take a look at that one. The price is much more reasonable to me. Thanks!

Feb 13, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #3,740 of 8,232
I actually really like the ZX300 FEv2 Classic mode. The Plus mode sounds great, but can feel like a tad too overdriven at times especially with contemporary records. The Classic mode is smoother, more laid back to my ears and is a happy medium between stock and Plus. It's awesome to have options!

Feb 14, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #3,743 of 8,232
You’re entering into murky territory there!

what materials are the competing products made from? Pure copper, SPC or silver? (I doubt silver for the price, but if FiiO can do it…), although this is one of the most controversial topics (cable debating is generally a no-no), the order in which I’ve listed them will determine if nothing else the treble power (from weakest to most prominent) is on offer, but it isn’t necessarily a night and day difference, and plenty of people hear no difference at all…

all I will add is that the Amazon cheaper cables tend to fail (in my experience), compared to those made by a major manufacturer / custom.

I have seen a balanced cable for my Beyerdynamic T5P to plug into the WM1A balanced jack for £40. It’s made by a company called Ablet and it’s silver plated. Would this be recommended? I am wanting to make the most from there DMP-WM1 FEv2 firmwares.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #3,744 of 8,232
I have seen a balanced cable for my Beyerdynamic T5P to plug into the WM1A balanced jack for £40. It’s made by a company called Ablet and it’s silver plated. Would this be recommended? I am wanting to make the most from there DMP-WM1 FEv2 firmwares.

Don't the T5P use standard 3,5mm male plugs on the cable to go into the cups ?
if they do there should be loads of cables available at all prices

Feb 14, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #3,745 of 8,232
Don't the T5P use standard 3,5mm male plugs on the cable to go into the cups ?
if they do there should be loads of cables available at all prices

The T5P uses a standard 3.5mm male plugs but I’m looking for a balanced cable with 4.4mm male plug to plug into the 4.4mm balanced jack of my WM1A. I seen a balanced cable with 4.4mm jack for £40 manufactured by a company called Ablet which is silver plated. I was wondering if they would be any good.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #3,746 of 8,232
The T5P uses a standard 3.5mm male plugs but I’m looking for a balanced cable with 4.4mm male plug to plug into the 4.4mm balanced jack of my WM1A. I seen a balanced cable with 4.4mm jack for £40 manufactured by a company called Ablet which is silver plated. I was wondering if they would be any good.

I’m talking about the plugs that go into the cups of the headphone, not the plug that goes into your source.

Feb 14, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #3,747 of 8,232
I’m talking about the plugs that go into the cups of the headphone, not the plug that goes into your source.

Yes I know you are. However, I can’t seem to find any with the 3.5mm jacks that go into the headphone cups with the 4.4mm jack at the other end if the cable apart from the £97 cable from CustomCans and the Ablet silver plated cable for £40 I seen elsewhere.

I am just wanting to know if anyone knows if the Ablet cable is a good quality balanced cable for my T5P amd WM1A?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #3,748 of 8,232
Yes I know you are. However, I can’t seem to find any with the 3.5mm jacks that go into the headphone cups with the 4.4mm jack at the other end if the cable apart from the £97 cable from CustomCans and the Ablet silver plated cable for £40 I seen elsewhere.
My Denon D5200 and Sony MDR-Z1R use 3.5mm to connect to the headphone side, I noticed when searching for cables a Beyerdynamic model was often mentioned as compatible but there was a 2nd generation model that wasn't. Are you only searching for your specific model when looking for a cable? Perhaps you can find other compatible brands and that might get you more results.

Feb 14, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #3,749 of 8,232

I am just wanting to know if anyone knows if the Ablet cable is a good quality balanced cable for my T5P amd WM1A?

Many headphones use cables with 3.5mm plugs to the cups and most of these can be used with any other headphone but not many stock cabled come with 4,4mm in the source end and all cable builders can make cables with any plug combination for wildly varying prices. I don’t specifically know the cable you reference. Try searching eBay for 4.4mm headphone cable, his one might also work https://www.ebay.com/itm/174355308217

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #3,750 of 8,232
But if you can afford it, the 1Z is the best TOTL DAP on the market. I'm glad I have one.
You think 1Z is better than the top AKs, Lotoo's, etc even now...that's hella good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back