Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 8, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #2,596 of 8,249
Yes, it is changed to region “U” which means you can access high gain - as others have said, from there you can change to any other region with the rockbox tool - the only thing to say is that you don’t need to reset the player if you manually switch region - just force restart it (hold power button for 8 seconds)

Only the R version as it does a factory reset. The non R doesn’t change anything

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #2,597 of 8,249
Only the R version as it does a factory reset. The non R doesn’t change anything
Thanks for the correction, must admit for my A55 I went straight to the R version.

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #2,598 of 8,249
The Sony factory in Penang Malaysia is indeed closing down next year but we have another factory in Malaysia as well. So the production of key products are moved to the other factory. Rest assured there will be no disruption to the production as the headphones production line are shifted to Thailand.

Dec 8, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #2,600 of 8,249
Yes, it is changed to region “U” which means you can access high gain - as others have said, from there you can change to any other region with the rockbox tool - the only thing to say is that you don’t need to reset the player if you manually switch region - just force restart it (hold power button for 8 seconds)

Resetting all settings applies for older players (pre WM1/A30).

Dec 8, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #2,602 of 8,249
Thanks for the feedback!

This is very similar to my experience with my WM1A and the Sony Z7M2, and even with the Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro (via the 3.5 port). I'm also using DSEE AI, DC Phase Linearizer to Type A Low, and Vinyl Processor set to Standard. Feel free to give it a try.

I can't see myself looking for anything else for a long time.

You're welcome sir, you've got to give credit where credit it's due.

In my experience, the Z7 needs a lot of power to flourish it's sound signature, it's picky in that sense. Strangely enough, i really like how they sound out of the 3.5 output of the 1A, even when i was on the 3.01 stock fw. I haven't try it yet on the 4.4 output with the FE (Z1R taking all the time), but with the 3.01 they felt disjointed and off on the 4.4 output. I would like to try the Z7M2 someday, and compare the Z trinity.

Me too, i stopped looking and wanting for major acquisitions, this Sony signature sound really fits my taste, great all rounder IMO.

Saludos!

I had similar experience, I didn't install the custom fw for the longest time because I was already really satisfied with the stock. The FE is really something else...

If you want to elevate your 1A even more, I'd HIGHLY recommend a tube amp. Something about Sony's organic sound signature and the tube bloom, a match made in heaven. I found most SS provided a more sense of cleanliness but tube amps were a better match in general with Sony, it's euphoric.

Is like Sony made a car with the 5th gear and only let you go to the 4th, and you can clearly see the 5th in the gearbox.

I have zero knowlegde on tubes, maybe in the future. What would be some tube amps to look at? How long does a tube last?

Dec 8, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #2,603 of 8,249
Is like Sony made a car with the 5th gear and only let you go to the 4th, and you can clearly see the 5th in the gearbox.

I have zero knowlegde on tubes, maybe in the future. What would be some tube amps to look at? How long does a tube last?

Sony's stock fw is like gear 3, FE gets you to 4th, a good amp puts you to 5+, sky is the limit then.

I was a solid state guy my entire life til I heard my first tube amp, never going back. Check out brands like Woo Audio, Little Dot, Feliks, Cayin, they all make good amps depending on your price range.

Dec 9, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #2,604 of 8,249
Dec 9, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #2,605 of 8,249
I have the FE firmware on my 1Z,with the 3.02 which was factory installed.If I'm able to download 3.01 from the facility you've very kindly given me the link to, will it simply replace the 3.02,or will it replace the FE firmware as well? Thanks again.

It will install 3.01 stock, wiping away the 3.02 FE firmware that you've installed. You cannot separate the FE mod from the firmware version.

Dec 9, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #2,606 of 8,249
I have the FE firmware on my 1Z,with the 3.02 which was factory installed.If I'm able to download 3.01 from the facility you've very kindly given me the link to, will it simply replace the 3.02,or will it replace the FE firmware as well? Thanks again.
You must use the stock revert from the FE package first before installing any official Sony firmware. Once you’ve run the stock revert for FE, you can directly install 3.01 or any other Sony stock firmware you like. Hope this is clear.

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #2,607 of 8,249
Just one question to @MrWalkman
With your fw the 3.5mm output handles dsd in native form as the 4.4 mm output. Could you elaborate how did you activate this function? I’m puzzled about why Sony makes the 1A & 1Z 3.5mm output not compatible with native DSD and convert the DSD to PCM for the SE output.
I think I read somewhere that it is a limitation of the S-Master when handling DSD and the native D/A conversion is only available for balanced output for technical reasons. If this is not true and the player is technically capable to perform the DSD D/A conversion natively for both SE and DSD outputs then, why Sony choose to cap his own TOTL device?

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #2,608 of 8,249
With your fw the 3.5mm output handles dsd in native form as the 4.4 mm output. Could you elaborate how did you activate this function? I’m puzzled about why Sony makes the 1A & 1Z 3.5mm output not compatible with native DSD and convert the DSD to PCM for the SE output.
I think I read somewhere that it is a limitation of the S-Master when handling DSD and the native D/A conversion is only available for balanced output for technical reasons. If this is not true and the player is technically capable to perform the DSD D/A conversion natively for both SE and DSD outputs then, why Sony choose to cap his own TOTL device?

The capability is mostly just disabled, so the S-Master obviously supports the feature. Maybe they just wanted to promote the use of the 4.4 port, as I think that in 2016 it was not that much available, at least on DAPs.

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #2,609 of 8,249
For me it didn't work in native format despite having the checkbox play DSD in native format checked. I used my koss porta pros. I became aware it does not work playing DSD in native thru 3.5mm as I heard the beeping from play pause, which is not heard when playing DSD native on the 4.4

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #2,610 of 8,249
The capability is mostly just disabled, so the S-Master obviously supports the feature. Maybe they just wanted to promote the use of the 4.4 port, as I think that in 2016 it was not that much available, at least on DAPs.
That makes sense...
I’m a big fan of your chameleon 1.4. Could you enable this feature on it leaving the rest of the fw untouched? It will be great.🙃

Users who are viewing this thread

Back