Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 7, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #2,566 of 8,232
Right, I have reproduced that "error" prompt.

It started up after listening to my very first track of my session. Screen goes blank, press ON button to view player and error prompt is now present.
I've had this device on since 5.30am, re-charging, without listening to it, with no issue whatsoever, with error prompt.

PS still loving how the A35 sounds with this firmware. UN-be-liev-able. I was going to upgrade my device, but now there's just no point whatsoever.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #2,567 of 8,232
Right, I have reproduced that "error" prompt.

It started up after listening to my very first track of my session. Screen goes blank, press ON button to view player and error prompt is now present.
I've had this device on since 5.30am, re-charging, without listening to it, with no issue whatsoever, with error prompt.
I have no clue of the firmware inner workings but I was curious if it could be the time setting .

Dec 7, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #2,568 of 8,232
I have no clue of the firmware inner workings but I was curious if it could be the time setting .

Good thinking. My date and time was wrong on my device...by at least 3 years. I have just set it correctly.

Just had a go at re-connecting my device to PC1. "DMP-A30 Ext Tuning" recognises device immediately. "DMP-A30" not recognised. Connection issue now appears to not be USB related, but software related, specific to the firmware.

I've re-installed "DMP-A30 ext Tuning" straight over the top of the original installation. Error prompt still present.

Note. running "StockRevert_Ext_Tuning" also does not recognise device.

capture1.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #2,569 of 8,232
Good thinking. My date and time was wrong on my device...by at least 3 years. I have just set it correctly.

Just had a go at re-connecting my device to PC1. "DMP-A30 Ext Tuning" recognises device immediately. "DMP-A30" not recognised.

I've re-installed "DMP-A30 ext Tuning" straight over the top of the original installation. Error prompt still present.

capture1.jpg
Have you installed the firmware first?

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #2,570 of 8,232
Have you installed the firmware first?

My device already had the 2 firmwares installed. All I have done is re-install the "ext tuning" firmware over the top of the original installation.
I have re-downloaded the firmware package and am still not able to get my device recognised whilst choosing the "DMP-A30" firmware.

It's ok. I'll get this sorted, one way or another. My mood is calm..:sunglasses:

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #2,571 of 8,232
I've read that Sony will shutdown a factory in Malaysia in september 2021 after 36 years in operation, among the products produced there is the walkman.

Hopefully it doesnt mean the end of the walkman. If so they should then release a fi al walkman edition that's worthy.
More power
Replaceable batteries
Double micro sd slot
And many wishes I want lol

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #2,572 of 8,232
I've read that Sony will shutdown a factory in Malaysia in september 2021 after 36 years in operation, among the products produced there is the walkman.

Hopefully it doesnt mean the end of the walkman.
For a company the size of Sony that's an impossibility. They'll just open another factory and it'll be business as usual.

Dec 7, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #2,575 of 8,232
Just a quick update.

With the very kind help of MrWalkman I've restored my player back to standard firmware...and I can confirm that the A35 is no longer sounding anywhere near as sweet as before..:slight_frown:

If anyone out there wonders if it's worth updating to this firmware..it's a huge YES.

I'll probably update the firmware again later..but for now I'm due to eat.

I'll update here, if I have success with the new firmware.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out, much appreciated.

Dec 7, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #2,576 of 8,232

Hopefully it doesnt mean the end of the walkman. If so they should then release a fi al walkman edition that's worthy.
More power
Replaceable batteries
Double micro sd slot
And many wishes I want lol

This has been addressed previously; Walkman and other personal audio products will likely move to their other plant in Malaysia and/or Thailand.

Considering that they still build Xperia phones despite everything, Sony isn't one to give up on Walkman.

Dec 7, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #2,577 of 8,232
I'll probably update the firmware again later..but for now I'm due to eat.

I'll update here, if I have success with the new firmware.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out, much appreciated.

I thinker's the A35 series that benefits the most of the new fw. Not just the sound improvements but a bunch of extra capabilities, starting from aptX-HD...

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #2,578 of 8,232
I thinker's the A35 series that benefits the most of the new fw. Not just the sound improvements but a bunch of extra capabilities, starting from aptX-HD...

100% agreement on that. It transforms the device. I am very impressed.
Matbe one of biggest gripes with this device is its handling of Album art. This firmware cured that issue up..totally.

Dec 7, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #2,579 of 8,232
100% agreement on that. It transforms the device. I am very impressed.
Matbe one of biggest gripes with this device is its handling of Album art. This firmware cured that issue up..totally.

The album art issue is actually a not-such-a-big-issue - the original fw just cannot handled interlaced jpg's and many/most jpg's on the internet are interlaced. Once you know that, you just have to save your cover art as non-interlaced. But mrwalkman's fw release took care also of that, interlaced jpg is also handled :)

Dec 7, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #2,580 of 8,232
The album art issue is actually a not-such-a-big-issue - the original fw just cannot handled interlaced jpg's and many/most jpg's on the internet are interlaced. Once you know that, you just have to save your cover art as non-interlaced. But mrwalkman's fw release took care also of that, interlaced jpg is also handled :)

I actually was aware of that fact when I researched "the issue" a few days after I initially bought the A35. Indeed it did take quite some hours to convert ALL of my album art to "Baseline", then re-embed them into my album collection. But hey, a load still wouldn't display at all. Several attempts at repairing the offenders wouldn't cure the problem. Trust me when I say...I tried everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back