Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 7, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #2,583 of 8,281
Does it remove the music files on the player's internal storage? Or is sit safe to leave the files there when flashing this mod firmware?
It's doesn't delete any music when installing.

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #2,584 of 8,281
MrWalkman, you are a Legend sir.

I have had my 1A since december last year, and 587 hours of burning with the 3.01 stock fw. I briefly tried the 3.02 stock but quickly returned to the 3.01, which for my taste pairs better with my MDR Z1R. I followed the firmware race but i didn't care to try any of them, because i was really content with the sound i had.

Around 2 weeks ago, i installed the DMP-A40 to my A45, and man, it was a great surprise to find how the sound was polish, from the sloppiness of the stock fw. I amp the a45 with the micro BL and pair it my MDR Z7. The Z7 bass is now tight and tamed, with a good amount of detail overall. Powered on turbo mode becomes a wild ride.

So this past weekend i finally installed the DMP-WM1 FE and Jeez!, the veil of the Z1R it's gone!, unknown details in the music seems to came out of the forest they were hidding, BUT something was missing, the last puzzle piece. Since i was already in the dance, i might as well change the region, so after a little headache i could changed to region J. NOW we are talking!, the music as a whole makes sense, micro details are everywhere, the slam it's matured, the vocals (especially female) are a beauty to behold, and i think it's sound louder? the Z1R show me more of itself, i knew this headphone could scale, but with the FE the 1A took it off. I can't talk about past fw that contributed to where the FE came to be, but this fw really elevated the 1A at least from the now humble 3.01 stock one.

So, thank you for sharing your genius with us.

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #2,586 of 8,281
Dec 7, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #2,587 of 8,281

I have had my 1A since december last year, and 587 hours of burning with the 3.01 stock fw. I briefly tried the 3.02 stock but quickly returned to the 3.01, which for my taste pairs better with my MDR Z1R. I followed the firmware race but i didn't care to try any of them, because i was really content with the sound i had.

Around 2 weeks ago, i installed the DMP-A40 to my A45, and man, it was a great surprise to find how the sound was polish, from the sloppiness of the stock fw. I amp the a45 with the micro BL and pair it my MDR Z7. The Z7 bass is now tight and tamed, with a good amount of detail overall. Powered on turbo mode becomes a wild ride.

So this past weekend i finally installed the DMP-WM1 FE and Jeez!, the veil of the Z1R it's gone!, unknown details in the music seems to came out of the forest they were hidding, BUT something was missing, the last puzzle piece. Since i was already in the dance, i might as well change the region, so after a little headache i could changed to region J. NOW we are talking!, the music as a whole makes sense, micro details are everywhere, the slam it's matured, the vocals (especially female) are a beauty to behold, and i think it's sound louder? the Z1R show me more of itself, i knew this headphone could scale, but with the FE the 1A took it off. I can't talk about past fw that contributed to where the FE came to be, but this fw really elevated the 1A at least from the now humble 3.01 stock one.

Thanks for the feedback!

This is very similar to my experience with my WM1A and the Sony Z7M2, and even with the Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro (via the 3.5 port). I'm also using DSEE AI, DC Phase Linearizer to Type A Low, and Vinyl Processor set to Standard. Feel free to give it a try.

I can't see myself looking for anything else for a long time.

Dec 7, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #2,588 of 8,281

I had similar experience, I didn't install the custom fw for the longest time because I was already really satisfied with the stock. The FE is really something else...

If you want to elevate your 1A even more, I'd HIGHLY recommend a tube amp. Something about Sony's organic sound signature and the tube bloom, a match made in heaven. I found most SS provided a more sense of cleanliness but tube amps were a better match in general with Sony, it's euphoric.

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #2,589 of 8,281
Iv dialed down my memory even last year 2019 had a listen to the froberger edition vol. 6 track 01 and didn't note distortion (mdrwith stock 4.4).

Today I tried with koss porta pros on SE with DSD downsample to 384/32 also clean throbbing bass no distortion.

I've then nailed to
Mdr-Z7 which was a headphone with bass resonances and ringing.
A glitch on the cd (16/44 1) layer of the SACD

Or the DMP-Z1 FE is so precise on that matter, so well done, clean, detailed fw, if it's so then @MrWalkman is a legend

Dec 8, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #2,592 of 8,281
Does anyone know whether this new firmware removes the EU volume cap on the A35/A45/A55 etc ? It's probably been answered somewhere in this thread but I can't find it. I'm thinking of getting a new A55L

Many thanks in advance.

Volume cap is related to region, not firmware. You can use the desttool to change it without installing any firmware :)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #2,594 of 8,281
Yes, I was aware that the cap is related to region. I actually used that tool on my A35. Was just wondering whether it was actually required with this upgraded firmware.

Thanks anyway....

It is required as it is controlled by the region of the player and has nothing to do with what fw is installed

Dec 8, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #2,595 of 8,281
Does anyone know whether this new firmware removes the EU volume cap on the A35/A45/A55 etc ? It's probably been answered somewhere in this thread but I can't find it. I'm thinking of getting a new A55L

Many thanks in advance.
Yes, it is changed to region “U” which means you can access high gain - as others have said, from there you can change to any other region with the rockbox tool - the only thing to say is that you don’t need to reset the player if you manually switch region - just force restart it (hold power button for 8 seconds)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back