Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 26, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #2,236 of 8,232
I've just spent the last hour comparing different regions using the Rockbox SonyNWDestTool and I'm afraid I found no difference with any of them including the supposedly treble lifted CN region. I reset all settings between changing the region and obtained the remote control icon etc. for J and E regions but they all sound the same to me. I'm prepared to admit to having older ears but I would have thought I'd have noticed some difference following the comments on this thread.
either
A you are doing something wrong related to the changing process
B your gear is not up the task (weak walkman weak iem combo for revealing dinamic changes asn soundstage)
C you hearing is not up to the task (I hope not)
D you are expecting a huge change.. go from TW to MX3

Nov 26, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #2,237 of 8,232
I've just spent the last hour comparing different regions using the Rockbox SonyNWDestTool and I'm afraid I found no difference with any of them including the supposedly treble lifted CN region. I reset all settings between changing the region and obtained the remote control icon etc. for J and E regions but they all sound the same to me. I'm prepared to admit to having older ears but I would have thought I'd have noticed some difference following the comments on this thread.

i only have the a40 and various entry level iems, buds, few good headphones.

and i did hear the subtle change in changing region.

Nov 26, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #2,238 of 8,232
Nov 26, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #2,240 of 8,232
Ogni try to analize the songs,but if i transfer them without the app the walkman don't recognize the analyzed song
After scanning the songs with the music centre program, it ill save the sense me info directly into the song files. You can then transfer them directly to your walkman or sd card. You don’t have to use music centre to transfer them.

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #2,241 of 8,232
The changes range from subtle to very significant. You don’t have to reset all settings between region changes. Just a restart will do. And testing regions in 1 hour? That would hardly make any impact to your listening perception. As i mentioned some regions sound subtly different than another. So you need to spend more time on 1 region and then change to another to fully appreciate the sound change. Make no mistake, region changes do effect the sound on our walkmans. Whether one chooses to believe it or not, is immaterial. But my ears are never wrong. And so are the ears of the majority of walkman users globally.

Nov 27, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #2,242 of 8,232
hi guys, does anyone know if there are any benefits getting Sandisk Extreme ver over the regular one? I'm not sure if the wm1 series supports the speed of the Extreme
I have a 400gb sandisk ultra and a sandisk extreme pro and the load times are identical. As @unifutomaki mentioned the load speed is likely limited by the device.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #2,243 of 8,232
MrWalkman saves the day once more.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/magaosi-k5.22812/reviews#item-review-24821
6752CD97-D207-42CA-AB02-B033F227CE37.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #2,244 of 8,232
Hi friends. Is bluetooth sound changed after region changed from E to J?
And how to run SonyNWDestTool in MacOS?

You can’t, it’s Windows or Linux only

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #2,245 of 8,232
The changes range from subtle to very significant. You don’t have to reset all settings between region changes. Just a restart will do. And testing regions in 1 hour? That would hardly make any impact to your listening perception. As i mentioned some regions sound subtly different than another. So you need to spend more time on 1 region and then change to another to fully appreciate the sound change. Make no mistake, region changes do effect the sound on our walkmans. Whether one chooses to believe it or not, is immaterial. But my ears are never wrong. And so are the ears of the majority of walkman users globally.
I appreciate long term listening may be required to hear subtle differences but I was expecting noticeable tonal changes between regions. Somebody mentioned the CN region was plus 8db at 8khz! I can hear plus 0.5db changes in the equaliser so how can I miss that? I’m not saying it doesn’t exist but I can’t hear it. I admit I’ve probably got expectation bias of not hearing the changes but my ears are never wrong either and I can’t hear any difference. Maybe my Walkman is ignoring the region change despite indicating it’s set.

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #2,246 of 8,232
Happy Thanksgiving !

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #2,248 of 8,232
I appreciate long term listening may be required to hear subtle differences but I was expecting noticeable tonal changes between regions. Somebody mentioned the CN region was plus 8db at 8khz! I can hear plus 0.5db changes in the equaliser so how can I miss that? I’m not saying it doesn’t exist but I can’t hear it. I admit I’ve probably got expectation bias of not hearing the changes but my ears are never wrong either and I can’t hear any difference. Maybe my Walkman is ignoring the region change despite indicating it’s set.
Do this. Try CA region and then go back to J. Do an immediate AB test. And tell me what you hear. Try it with either a well recorded pop song or a nice jazz track of your choice.

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #2,249 of 8,232
I've just spent the last hour comparing different regions using the Rockbox SonyNWDestTool and I'm afraid I found no difference with any of them including the supposedly treble lifted CN region.
Don't take all the claims you read here too seriously.
Some people just have better imagination, or more impressionable, and then a different region, or different SD card, or another 100 hours of burn in time can make the sound better or worse for them :D

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #2,250 of 8,232
Some of us invent, some of us discover, some of us set world records, some of us prevent disaster, some of us save life, some take life, some of us change the world we live in, some are all to happy to follow the pack, some of us simply hear differently. Only question is where do you stand?

In the meantime I'll be enjoying my music, more to the point feeling it, as this endless debate continues, for no other reason than I can...

Q-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back