Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 27, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #2,266 of 8,232
The iPod with the best DAC right there :)
Brothers in arms
New Image.jpg

IMG_20201127_230715.jpg

Yep R2R2K is that small, yet it drives HP with authority, but you'll need a car battery to keep it going LOL
IMG_20201127_000040.jpg

Q-6

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #2,267 of 8,232
Don't take all the claims you read here too seriously.
Some people just have better imagination, or more impressionable, and then a different region, or different SD card, or another 100 hours of burn in time can make the sound better or worse for them :D
I’ve just wrote about the J region being a little veiled and received some “non-agreeing” comments! I just didn’t get the the same experience, that the high praise promised. So......what to do? Well......
a full reset of the Walkman. First region U set. so I can set the unit at the new start. Then back to standard 3.02. After total reset, I changed to region J and then the magical FE firmware.
Now this is not placebo I’m afraid, this is pure magic happening! Now I can clearly hear and get what all the huupla is all about! I would rather have that there’s no differences in regions, but listen carefully and you will “get” it! Mindstorm made a very precise chart of these observations and I agree on all of his findings! I’ve been modding speakers, turntables, mixers for 30+ years, so to me, these differences in regions are very real! Enjoy & a big thank you to Mr.Walkman for this fantastic firmware and thanks to nc8000 for reminding me about a total reset will neutralize the unit in levels and performance!🙏🏻

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #2,268 of 8,232
What the heck is the Music Center app? It's just closing randomly while analyzing the songs. I didn't copied them to the PC, I just imported them directly from the card.

Nov 27, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #2,270 of 8,232
You really enjoing FE? I will try a full reset on my unit also

Yes I think it is the best of the ones I've tried and J is the best balanced region across all types of music

Nov 27, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #2,271 of 8,232
For those of you wanting to “understand” how to frequency response chart measurements are (see below) so it is possible to chart what the firmware mod tunings are and the what the regions frequency responses are with a

This dude did it to match his A55 frequency response in the stock with Clearaudio + with the stock dsps.

This is his FR chart for the A55
C47E7ADA-0456-484A-9D9A-8BDD1BBD9DF1.jpeg

This is what he did to match it!

With the help of a few frequency response measurements I eventually got an exact match of the ClearAudio+ effect when I use the Studiosetting for the VPT (Surround) effect, enabled the DC Phase Linearizer, and setup a custom equalization curve of +6 at 60Hz, +3 at 1kHz, -3 at 6.3kHz, and another +6 at 16kHz.
This was a big step because now I could tweak the EQ curve to better suit my HD58X whilst still enjoying the bigger perceived stereo image provided by the VPT (Surround) setting.”

https://www.samma3a.com/tech/en/product-reviews/sony-walkman-a55-review/

I believe this is the exact process of what people who mod the Sony firmware are doing tuning with code!

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #2,272 of 8,232
This post was in the same topic as the other deleted posts.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #2,273 of 8,232
I still don't see how frequency response measurements can measure the stereo image/soundstage though.

Also, you can't really enhance the stereo image with equalization.
It doesn’t it measures the frequency response aka tuning not timbre. Imaging is measured by width or reverb or tranisients in what region of the frequencies response are being highlighted or expanded in the soundstage by using an effect in the tone. That’s where the dsp comes in. Reread the description! He explains it!

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #2,274 of 8,232

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #2,275 of 8,232
I was also referring to region differences, which can brings slight alterations of that too.

Good Question for the Region it most likely uses Sony’s dsps in a certain way or sequences in the firmware since I don’t know what the region tool is pulling from (what model etc) and I don’t know what the code commands are. I don’t know the algorithm(s) used per se in a particular region. That’s above my understanding but it is crackable! I’m not a programmer so I can’t do it But it possible. I’d look at the destination Sony tool created by Rockbox code to see what the regions are set to that would where I’d start. It is after all opensourced and gets update frequently I believe

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #2,276 of 8,232

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #2,277 of 8,232
All the "magic" is in Sony's sound driver somewhere.

somewhere means it exists so when a listener speculates it’s a bit of a placebo effect with no objective proof. That’s a valid POV for some and at the same time so is a listener saying they hear differences in the regions because we have no knowledge on what the truth is.

Nov 27, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #2,279 of 8,232

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #2,280 of 8,232
J is 0x00000000, while E is 0x00000006. I'm not really sure these value can say anything to be honest.

If course they do. Like a line in a DNA sequence there’s information that correlates with other sequences in order to “unlock” features and information for particular regions to be switched and activated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back