Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Nov 27, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #2,281 of 8,232
This post was in the same topic as the other deleted posts.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #2,282 of 8,232
0 is Japan, 1 is US/Canada, etc. For the A100/ZX500 players, there are different firmware packages for different regions, like International/China/Japan/Russia, etc., so it makes more sense that this last number represents the region itself rather than a particular DSP effect or something.

That’s why you chart the frequency responses of each region to see if there are tuning differences.

If the regions chart differently that proves they are indeed different tunings.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #2,283 of 8,232

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #2,284 of 8,232
Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #2,285 of 8,232

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #2,286 of 8,232
That’s why you chart the frequency responses of each region to see if there are tuning differences.

If the regions chart differently that proves they are indeed different tunings.

There's a ton of information to learn for instance in why does CN have piercing treble in the 6 k region at first an educated guess can be proven by a FR chart after all it's what is measured is actual soundstage!

This implies that DSP uses a value

What is DSP?

DSP stands for digital signal processor, which sounds pretty self-explanatory. The technology is found inside headphones, smartphones, smart speakers, studio audio gear, vehicle entertainment systems and much more. It’s actually a cornerstone of modern audio products.

You’re probably familiar with the idea of a processor from a computer’s CPU, which are designed as multi-purpose processors. A DSP is a processor dedicated to number crunching digital signals like audio. They’re designed to perform mathematical functions like addition and subtraction at high speed with minimal energy consumption.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #2,287 of 8,232
Thanks for the lesson, and good luck with your project.

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #2,288 of 8,232
Thanks for the lesson, and good luck with your project.

Glad I can help the values also explain the sound pressure 0 1 values means something in the uncapping.

I learned a ton of stuff from our exchange. Remember FR is what makes a soundstage sound the it does- always. Hardware like power supply is what makes it sound fuller or better.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #2,289 of 8,232
Glad I can help the values also explain the sound pressure 0 1 values means something in the uncapping.

I learned a ton of stuff from our exchange. Remember FR is what makes a soundstage sound the it does- always. Hardware like power supply is what makes it sound fuller or better.

Thanks again, I will keep that in mind.

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #2,290 of 8,232
Thanks again, I will keep that in mind.

Digital-to-analog the binary numbers are converted to analog boards. The difference between passive power caps to audio gate ones with increases in Ufs makes it sound fuller. You cannot do that with firmware nor dsp because the tangible physical materials produces the sound not the dsp.

The better firmware only makes the device read the information better and faster or does some noise-shaping to filter out unwanted frequency- that's it.

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #2,291 of 8,232
Digital-to-analog the binary numbers are converted to analog boards. The difference between passive power caps to audio gate ones with increases in Ufs makes it sound fuller. You cannot do that with firmware nor dsp because the tangible physical materials produces the sound not the dsp.

The better firmware only makes the device read the information better and faster or does some noise-shaping to filter out unwanted frequency- that's it.

Thanks again for the clarifications, man.

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #2,292 of 8,232
Thanks again for the clarifications, man

Glad I can help. And as a bonus you know why it sounds fuller with more caps designs for auiod is because it improves the total soundstage FR and imaging. This however doesn't help if your headphones that require more current to fully power.

This why you never wanna get audio gear that's doesn't provide you the full spec sheet. Sony sadly doesn't disclose a lot of information, some chose not to do so it doesn't affect their sales.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #2,293 of 8,232
Glad I can help. And as a bonus you know why it sounds fuller with more caps designs for auiod is because it improves the total soundstage FR and imaging. This however doesn't help if your headphones that require more current to fully power.

We're always lucky for people who have such an understanding for these things and are able to explain them to us. Thanks again.

Looking forward to the results of your project.

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #2,294 of 8,232
Looking forward to the results of your project.

Honestly, this project is very amateurish and pretty pedestrian. It’s not like building a dac from scratch. It’s only an attempt to make minor improvements and knowledge of a product I love so much so if I can spread that love to the community just like you MrWalkman 🤘🏻

Contrary to what machine learning is DSEE HX AI is not it. It’s more marketing than anything.

This isn’t AI in that it “learns” new things with more information it’s more of an DSP Signal generator

“Now DSEE HX AI is able to analyse the song in advance and apply a multitude of different algorithms to match each segment of a song. So it is closer to the original idea Nishio-san had but not yet perfect.”

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ee-hx-ai-dsee-ultimate-dsee-extreme-do.14832/

Interesting info regarding regional tunings and Sony’s DSEE HX

At first they used separate algorithms for each segment of songs but for ease of use, lower risk and greater stability they 'averaged' it out to a single one-size-fits-all. This was then tuned for different regions/countries and for different products. But it is mostly useless and makes no audible difference despite the extra audio data. Still, larger files naturally sound better due to the possibly faulty mechanism of most DAC chips' 8 times oversampling.

This would suggeste that there aren’t any dsp applied to regional tunings and only that it’s eq’d differently in the stock of said region and tunings in different models are tuned differently.

For instance, a J region In WM1A is different then a J region in the A40/A50 because of the hardware difference. Moreover, the DSP packages in the stock of A40/A50 like VST are meant for those models and the only way to see what regional difference are is to switch region J in the appropriate stock firmware designed for that model! (In theory)

There is also different tunings for different regions in the dsp themselves!

So...what does this all mean...simple a firmware mod gives you the opportunity to mix and match different stock regions with different DSP tunings, etc so the possibilities are endless (which is nice)

as far as imaging and stereowidth of soundstage the really good DSP don’t sound processed (even though they are!) and may also sound artificial but it’s better to get those things in a more natural way would be to improve to hardware that is optimized by the firmware. But there are huge leaps in dsps in recent years which have made huge strides in The output without changes to hardware. AI can do this with machine learning and cloud services for instance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back