Sony releases $160 64 GB SD cards marketed for 'Premium Sound'
Feb 26, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #47 of 121
It would be interesting to see if anyone has a pair of AK240s, or something similar that they can test side by side, but have someone shuffle them around so they don't know which is which. (or better yet, have 3 of them, with two have the cheaper cards, and one have the new sony, so that they cant just say that one is different from another, they would have to have two that sound different from the other three.) 

Anyone wanna jump down that rabbit hole? 

(I think a fiio x1 or something would work just as well, but it might have a more audible noise floor/more variance between products.)

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #48 of 121
  It would be interesting to see if anyone has a pair of AK240s, or something similar that they can test side by side, but have someone shuffle them around so they don't know which is which. (or better yet, have 3 of them, with two have the cheaper cards, and one have the new sony, so that they cant just say that one is different from another, they would have to have two that sound different from the other three.) 

Anyone wanna jump down that rabbit hole? 

(I think a fiio x1 or something would work just as well, but it might have a more audible noise floor/more variance between products.)

Now that would actually be a pretty good way to test! Now if only someone has three X1's or three AK 240's just sitting around... 
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #49 of 121
Now that would actually be a pretty good way to test! Now if only someone has three X1's or three AK 240's just sitting around... :wink:

Anyone who can afford to have three AK 240s sitting around won't be too concerned about whether Sony's new card measures better. They'll just buy it :wink:

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #50 of 121
Anyone who can afford to have three AK 240s sitting around won't be too concerned about whether Sony's new card measures better. They'll just buy it :wink:

That's so true. Hopefully someone does then!

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #52 of 121
...lost all my respect for Sony after this. Just can't take their crap anymore. Sony's going on my avoid list.

Sony's flash card crap has been going on for years. What about their proprietary memory sticks when everyone else moved to SD?

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #53 of 121
It will give you much better sound than any other card out there. Worth 4 times the price if you have the right equipment.

Mar 12, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #56 of 121
Freaking Sony had a few too many mushrooms.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #57 of 121
Now, I do not believe that this could make a difference in sound quality, but there is more than just the flash storage on an SD card.  There is a flash memory controller that is powered when it is inserted into a device.  Unlike the passive memory cells, the controller is an active piece of silicon handling the IO.  So there is the possibility that the memory controller could be designed to have less noise.  A lot of people seem to be saying that the product is a farce because a flash card cannot produce noise, when in fact they can and do just like any other active computer component.  I don't think anyone would be able to hear the difference, but we should have our facts straight before mocking Sony.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #58 of 121
This is just like that old DDR2 SLI/CFX RAM that used to be on the market!!  That stuff sold out fast, lol.

May 21, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #59 of 121
A little necroposting.

So this past weekend Fujiya had their usual Spring Festival and Sony was an exhibit naturally. On one little corner of their table they set up 2x ZX2s both having the same tracks. One has the standard 64GB Sony MicroSD, and the other had the PremiumSound MicroSD. I was requested to listen and judge for myself.

I listened on their MDR-R10's and thought I heard a difference. So I switched to use my FitEar MH335DW-SRs instead and the difference is blatantly obvious. I don't know how, I don't know why, but this demo listening station was enough to convince me. If I still have a DAP I'd probably go out and pick up a couple of these MicroSD cards as at least to me that demonstration works.

So I asked them what exactly is going on? I was thinking of increased transfer speed, maybe coating in their contacts, etc. Answer was no & no. In fact the card is even a little slower in transfer speed compared to other 64GBs. Apparently all SD Cards suffer from electronic noise (don't know what this means), and they've found a way to minimise it. I went on asking how (of course they won't say how), and what was the downstream impact....e.g. does it lower jitter, etc. They told me they're not certain (or maybe they know but it's too hard to explain in layman's terms) but the resulting effect of lowering electronic noise was a fuller, smoother, and micro-detailed sound.

Throughout the whole Fujiya Show this past weekend I had various people asked me what I thought was the highlight/surprise/best thing I heard. To their surprise, this Sony Premium Sound experience was probably the shocker out of all exhibits I saw at the show. A real "to be heard to believe" moment.

May 21, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #60 of 121
The closest thing I can imagine is this: When you put power into a circuit, to some degree it will generate RF or other noise which it will emit to the detriment of the components around it. That is why some manufacturers don't like making DAC/amps, as the DAC will produce enough noise to increase the distortion of the amp. I guess an SD card emits some degree of RF, possibly into the circuit it is connected to and Sony made one which doesn't emit as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back