Sony releases $160 64 GB SD cards marketed for 'Premium Sound'
Jun 24, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #76 of 121
Thanks for the heads up, Anakchan. Nice to have a level head on a crazy day in the world.
smily_headphones1.gif

One of the funniest things is to go to amazon japan find SR-64HXA:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%BD%E3%83%8B%E3%83%BC-microSDXC%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A2%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AB%E3%83%BC%E3%83%89-Class10-%E9%AB%98%E9%9F%B3%E8%B3%AA%E3%83%A2%E3%83%87%E3%83%AB-SR-64HXA/dp/B00TXWKC7W

Then google translate - everyone is giving 5 stars and then sarcastically mentioning the miracles that the card performs. - Its hilarious - a snippit below, 

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #77 of 121

On the NW-ZX2 some SD cards create some RF that results in a faint noise when reading from it that you can hear through the IEMs, particularly when browsing the catalogue of files. I was very disappointed when I heard this on my Lexar 128GB card, so tended to try and organize my music so my more popular listens were on the internal memory to avoid this. The Sony SD card doesn't cause this when I try it. So I just wanted to point out that while talk of a memory card making music sound different is ridiculous to me, in the ZX2 it does eliminate an interference problem. It could be argued this is poor design on the ZX2 though.

Similarly if, and I mean if, there is a sound difference between Black, Copper and regular finishes, it may point to weak design choices instead of some intentional wonderful achievement. There is a analogue circuitry from the DAC onwards, including of course a headphone amplifier built-in to the AK380. If it is being influenced by the materials around it, it may suggest an inherent weakness than a strength....and it just happens the copper one sounds "better". I have the AK380cu, mainly because i wanted something different....altlhough I am now regretting it because I am a perfectionist, and I have had two units with scratches on the top surface, and despite trying many polishes, the finish only stays looking good for a few days before starting to tarnish (I can't find anything that lasts).

I really dont understand why people would protest statements without first hearing the actual product......I've heard it, and there are actual audible differences. I will not say that the sony card is 'better' because 'better' is highly contestable, but ther differences some cards present may push the sound presentation towards one that suits the listener, the opposite and make it worse, I understand that the thought of a potentially long journey in A/B SD cards is one most ppl will cringe at, and hence reject it. But still, it IS there.

A shot of some SD cards that I happened to find around me in which my audio circle has spent time testing for sonic differences

And as for the old argument of CU, Black and normal not sounding any different. AK may claim that it doesnt, but almsot everyone who has heard both units simultaneously will almsot certainly disagree. Is the CU better? Prehaps, but once again, because 'better' is highly subjective in audio, I'll refrain from making a subjective ranking. None the less, they are no doubt different.  

People should really double blind test the same tracks and try to be more down to earth. Also read audiophile myths and studies. You'll enjoy the music more in the long run and you'll probably save some money and make more educated decisions.

I hope these pictures will suffice to show that we can, and have indeed carried out the necesssary tests? Or what's next? That it is a placebo effect because we sunk in so much money into this hobby that we intuitively sensed when gears were swapped during the blindfold test? 

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #79 of 121

I really dont understand why people would protest statements without first hearing the actual product......I've heard it, and there are actual audible differences. I will not say that the sony card is 'better' because 'better' is highly contestable, but ther differences some cards present may push the sound presentation towards one that suits the listener, the opposite and make it worse, I understand that the thought of a potentially long journey in A/B SD cards is one most ppl will cringe at, and hence reject it. But still, it IS there.

A shot of some SD cards that I happened to find around me in which my audio circle has spent time testing for sonic differences

And as for the old argument of CU, Black and normal not sounding any different. AK may claim that it doesnt, but almsot everyone who has heard both units simultaneously will almsot certainly disagree. Is the CU better? Prehaps, but once again, because 'better' is highly subjective in audio, I'll refrain from making a subjective ranking. None the less, they are no doubt different.  

I hope these pictures will suffice to show that we can, and have indeed carried out the necesssary tests? Or what's next? That it is a placebo effect because we sunk in so much money into this hobby that we intuitively sensed when gears were swapped during the blindfold test? 

I just have a science and fact based personality and don't really give in to audiophile myths and claims. In my opinion its ruining the hobby. But each persons opinion is different and I respect that you might have went to an audio show and did a quick demo. iRiver probably does their quality assurance like they do their support (mediocre at best).. which might have something to do with everyone hearing different sound signatures with different colored devices.

The copper is heavy and impractical for "real" portable use, as well as gets ugly prints and tarnished. Therefore it might make sense for others to keep an open mind before buying it because other people claim it "sounds better". It may shield more electromagnetic interference, thats the only argument I could see. Changing the color or the case isn't going to widen the soundstage or increase accuracy. If it helps with EMI, perhaps the internal components should've been made better in the first place to avoid that.

Just my opinion!

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #80 of 121

I just have a science and fact based personality and don't really give in to audiophile myths and claims. In my opinion its ruining the hobby. But each persons opinion is different and I respect that you might have went to an audio show and did a quick demo. iRiver probably does their quality assurance like they do their support (mediocre at best).. which might have something to do with everyone hearing different sound signatures with different colored devices.

The copper is heavy and impractical for "real" portable use, as well as gets ugly prints and tarnished. Therefore it might make sense for others to keep an open mind before buying it because other people claim it "sounds better". It may shield more electromagnetic interference, thats the only argument I could see. Changing the color or the case isn't going to widen the soundstage or increase accuracy. If it helps with EMI, perhaps the internal components should've been made better in the first place to avoid that.

Just my opinion!

I'm sorry, I did not go to an audio fest for a quick demo. Everything that you see in those pictures are personal units. :) 

My uni major also demands a stringent research and statistical significance before I'll accept a result, but neither would I just ignore deviants and outliers which dont fall within the line without first seeking some form of explanation. Tons of ppl have heard a difference between models, I wish I hadn't, but I have. So therein lies my misfortune of sorts if you may. 

But I thoroughly agree that there should not be a difference. But the fact of the matter is that, unfortunately there are less than subtle differences. I personally suspect that some of the components in the CU are different from the standard AK, but I'll only know at the end of the year when I send it to be stripped for modding, and then compare them side by side. 

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #81 of 121

I'm sorry, I did not go to an audio fest for a quick demo. Those are personal units. :) 

No need to apologize I still can respect someone else opinion, I just know that for me it's best to stay down to earth and believe in sound science and technology and fact. Its what I have done all my life, even professionally and it has gotten me quite far.

Again - I tend to sway from opinion and focus on fact and things that are real and make sense.

Good luck!

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #82 of 121

No need to apologize I still can respect someone else opinion, I just know that for me it's best to stay down to earth and believe in sound science and technology and fact. Its what I have done all my life, even professionally and it has gotten me quite far.

Again - I tend to sway from opinion and focus on fact and things that are real and make sense.

Good luck!

Cheers. To each his own. 

I'm just curious tho, have you demo-ed all 3 models? 

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #83 of 121

Cheers. To each his own. 

I'm just curious tho, have you demo-ed all 3 models? 

I've briefly heard the Meteoric Titan, own the black and never heard the copper. Never double blind tested all 3 side by side. If I did, it is possible I would hear a difference. The difference wouldn't be because the different chassis put magic into the internals and made them sound better or worse though. It would be because Astell&Kern were inconsistent with their production and all of them sound different to each other. The other argument I make is the potentially faulty internals could be susceptible to EMI which certain materials could help with - this includes the SD cards.

Some things I don't have to test if I look at the inner circuitry and have the specs laid out in front of me. If someone told me the rush of jumping out of a plane is good enough to not need a parachute because you could glide down on a rainbow then I probably would roll my eyes and still grab my parachute.

I have never been one to think spending more money equals better audio quality, I would rather trust myself and my ability and my ears and I HATE being tricked.. which is the feeling I get when I hold the AK380, because frankly it isn't that impressive compared to other DAPs.

Just my blunt honesty.

Cheers

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #84 of 121

I don't know about SD cards cause if there is a difference it probably won't matter to me as it is very small. 

Similar it goes to AK380. Even there are differences between all versions they won't be huge. And like U said it's all about tastes and perspective. everybody has different expierience with audio equipment so my advice is: write about own impressions and stop making states that something is the best, cause i say so. Share our feelings and don't let brand, pricetag or somebody theory influence us too much.

Jun 24, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #85 of 121
  I don't know about SD cards cause if there is a difference it probably won't matter to me as it is very small. 

Similar it goes to AK380. Even there are differences between all versions they won't be huge. And like U said it's all about tastes and perspective. everybody has different expierience with audio equipment so my advice write about own impressions and stop making states that something is the best cause i say so. Share our feelings and don't let brand, pricetag or somebodys theory influence us too much.

I agree with you!

Honestly at the end of the day, if you hear a difference or feel compelled that one thing is better to YOU, then go for it.. I will be happy for you! I just like playing devils advocate and I like helping people to think a little bit more. The brain is a funny thing and can trick you, and so can the clever marketing of these companies. I want to inform people as much as I can. The audiophile community is often laughed at by others for believing in things that aren't real. We need to make sure we keep our heads screwed on tight and show them and especially overpriced audio makers we mean business!

Jun 24, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #86 of 121
I tried using different SD cards and it seems that there is a major difference in SQ among different brands and volumes. I won't list them out yet, but for those who don't already have it, try the Samsung Evo+ 64GB card. You will be floored when you switch to it. It affects the sound even if your songs are not stored in the card but in the unit's memory. The difference is just astonishing

This is what has me raising an eyebrow. :rolleyes:

Jun 24, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #88 of 121
Im led to believe Louis has supersonic inhuman hearing and perhaps borderline mind reading capabilities. If you were to paint his headphones a different color he would swear the change would put him directly in front of the artist singing.

Edit: Just kidding Louis!
etysmile.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #89 of 121
No worries dude. As I said, everyone here knows what the science is and how things "should be", so there is no need to flash your scientific skepticism mind of Stephen Hawking here - all is moot until you actually go try and listen. It is just as ridiculous as buying a $3500/$4000 DAP in the first place - until you go and hear it.

Jun 24, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #90 of 121
No worries dude. As I said, everyone here knows what the science is and how things "should be", so there is no need to flash your scientific skepticism mind of Stephen Hawking here - all is moot until you actually go try and listen. It is just as ridiculous as buying a $3500/$4000 DAP in the first place - until you go and hear it.

Best of the best of the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back