Sony releases $160 64 GB SD cards marketed for 'Premium Sound'
Jun 24, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #91 of 121
I've moved all posts after the above to the Sony Premium Sound MicroSD thread.http://www.head-fi.org/t/755709/sony-releases-160-64-gb-sd-cards-marketed-for-premium-sound

I bought this sony premium card for my ak380 copper.

At first I was shock with the price of this card however after I used this and is really amaze me with the sound quality improvement compare with few number big branding sd card I used to own it.

Everything more focus especially clarity.

If you ask me how much does it improve my ak380 copper sound quality, I would said improve by 30%.

And is worth buying this before upgrading your earphone cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #92 of 121
Exactly. What surprised me even more is that different SD cards change not only the sound quality of the songs played from the SD card - but also those in internal storage. Definitely going to get the Sony one to see how much more improvement it can make. I am surprised at how many people wouldn't blink at buying a $3500 DAP yet would be concerned about the cost of these things. If we had paid the price for a player, that probably means we are trying to do anything to get the best SQ of an IEM, and passing up such a chance at a relatively small cost does not make any sense to me.

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #93 of 121
LouisArmstrong I agree with you in regards to the price and some people not willing to invest in a better SD card. If it improves the sound, excellent investment. I find the SD card improving the sound a lot easier to believe than a lot of other things, exception being how it effects the internal memory. I suppose it's possible if it's in there, again, based on it causing interference some how.

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #94 of 121
I bought this sony premium card for my ak380 copper.

At first I was shock with the price of this card however after I used this and is really amaze me with the sound quality improvement compare with few number big branding sd card I used to own it.

Everything more focus especially clarity.

If you ask me how much does it improve my ak380 copper sound quality, I would said improve by 30%.

And is worth buying this before upgrading your earphone cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmm.....now, you've got my attention. I'm intrigued enough to place an order and hear for myself. At worst, I end up with a grossly overpriced memory card that is more durable than the ones I have been using (Sandisk).

Jun 25, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #95 of 121
The interference (EMI) issues are the only thing I can see that could audibly change the sound quality. That goes for the case material of the 380 as well as the SD card and even the USB cable arguments. Thats my professional opinion anyway. The only other argument I could see are poor quality control and they all sound different (not just because of their color). People say the black sounds darker, the copper sounds warmer.. maybe because your brain tells you that due to the color of the unit.. Even with cables.. "silver sounds brighter, copper sounds warmer".. they just literally go by the color and their brain tricks them into thinking they hear certain things.

People should really double blind test the same tracks and try to be more down to earth. Also read audiophile myths and studies. You'll enjoy the music more in the long run and you'll probably save some money and make more educated decisions.

Dilan I've been trying to educate members of such AK, Pono, cable and amplifier threads for years, but is has no use. They will keep believe what they believe and disregard science when it doesn't fit their subjective interpretations. What i said few days ago: never having listened to an AK though i can perfectly predict how the different colours sound. Though I've been in great wars here when I advice a member NOT to buy that $500 headphone cable to make the sound just a bit colder. Or getting another DAP, amp etc.
Just don't use common sense and science outside the science threads. It even is forbidden to talk about science, double blind tests etc outside of the science thread lol

Jun 25, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #96 of 121
Even IF It sound better, problem Is that It's highest capacity Is 64Mb while we can now have 200Mb ( even 256 from Samsung).

Jun 25, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #97 of 121
One if not the biggest lesson to learn is, that there are no authorities when talking about what sounds best. It´s all about your subjective taste.
If you get that, you have obtained the inner freedom to tweak the sound so that it sounds the best of the best of the best TO YOU!

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #99 of 121
Dilan I've been trying to educate members of such AK, Pono, cable and amplifier threads for years, but is has no use. They will keep believe what they believe and disregard science when it doesn't fit their subjective interpretations. What i said few days ago: never having listened to an AK though i can perfectly predict how the different colours sound. Though I've been in great wars here when I advice a member NOT to buy that $500 headphone cable to make the sound just a bit colder. Or getting another DAP, amp etc.
Just don't use common sense and science outside the science threads. It even is forbidden to talk about science, double blind tests etc outside of the science thread lol

Except prehaps when said forum members have actually conducted double blind tests and are able to accurately and repeatedly identify components at a rate for it to be more than chance. Of couse, we didnt hit statistical significance (we dont have time to do 100 tests), but when u hit it every single time out of 20 odd tests, its pretty damn clear that you might have something going on.

But heys, dont let that convince you. I'm sure that your innate beliefs will have already convinced you that its all BS, and that actual real world tests make little difference. 

its one things to talk about science, but another to actually make a statement without actually testing it out for yourself. 

Jun 25, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #100 of 121
Except prehaps when said forum members have actually conducted double blind tests and are able to accurately and repeatedly identify components at a rate for it to be more than chance. Of couse, we didnt hit statistical significance (we dont have time to do 100 tests), but when u hit it every single time out of 20 odd tests, its pretty damn clear that you might have something going on.

But heys, dont let that convince you. I'm sure that your innate beliefs will have already convinced you that its all BS, and that actual real world tests make little difference. 

its one things to talk about science, but another to actually make a statement without actually testing it out for yourself. 

Did you know 0.2 dB makes an perceptible difference? Blind testing is not everything.

Jun 25, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #101 of 121
The interference (EMI) issues are the only thing I can see that could audibly change the sound quality.

Makes sense.

That ought to be pretty easy to test with the right signal testing equipment. I think I'll definitely wait until someone does that sort of testing before worrying about that myself though.

Jun 25, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #102 of 121
Did you know 0.2 dB makes an perceptible difference? Blind testing is not everything.

Same player, same earphone, with friends who are willing to sit down and swap SD cards while you face a wall. I didn't know that .2db makes a perceptible difference, but if it said difference was in the SD card, then that too would be due to the difference in SD card too. 

Because, as you have so strongly asserted a short while back, that science says that SD cards shouldnt matter, and hence by extension there shdn't be a .2 db difference to begin with....

Still, I wonder, you must something more than a theoretical understanding to be so adamant on your stand. Care  to share? All I, and some others here, have are real world tests and listening experience.....I'm sure you have something else to add....

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #103 of 121
Still, I wonder, you must something more than a theoretical understanding to be so adamant on your stand. Care  to share? All I, and some others here, have are real world tests and listening experience.....I'm sure you have something else to add....

Since you are so adamant about this, can you share the link to the Head-Fi thread with the tests you describe here:

Except prehaps when said forum members have actually conducted double blind tests and are able to accurately and repeatedly identify components at a rate for it to be more than chance.

Didn't see any evidence of that in this thread.

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #104 of 121
Well, if anyone doesn't want their cards anymore/can't hear a difference and would like to let go of their wasted $160 investment, do let me know..!

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #105 of 121

I really dont understand why people would protest statements without first hearing the actual product......I've heard it, and there are actual audible differences. I will not say that the sony card is 'better' because 'better' is highly contestable, but ther differences some cards present may push the sound presentation towards one that suits the listener, the opposite and make it worse, I understand that the thought of a potentially long journey in A/B SD cards is one most ppl will cringe at, and hence reject it. But still, it IS there.

A shot of some SD cards that I happened to find around me in which my audio circle has spent time testing for sonic differences

And as for the old argument of CU, Black and normal not sounding any different. AK may claim that it doesnt, but almsot everyone who has heard both units simultaneously will almsot certainly disagree. Is the CU better? Prehaps, but once again, because 'better' is highly subjective in audio, I'll refrain from making a subjective ranking. None the less, they are no doubt different.  

I hope these pictures will suffice to show that we can, and have indeed carried out the necesssary tests? Or what's next? That it is a placebo effect because we sunk in so much money into this hobby that we intuitively sensed when gears were swapped during the blindfold test? 

And you bought your Sony card 2nd hand. You know, I've not seen them sold in e-earphone since then. I've been camping hoping to pick them up again :p. Agreed that the difference you heard of the Premium vs non wasn't necessarily deemed as "better".

P.S. [OT]My AK380Cu looks small compared to your (then) new AK380 black.[/OT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back