Sony releases $160 64 GB SD cards marketed for 'Premium Sound'
Feb 21, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #18 of 121
To give a slightly more balanced perspective, while I'm certain that any benefits from this card will be from placebo effects, if those placebo effects enhance someone's enjoyment significantly it may be worth the £100 to that person.
Doesn't mean it's not snake oil to us, but we certainly should condemn anyone who wants to believe that it works...

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #19 of 121
To give a slightly more balanced perspective, while I'm certain that any benefits from this card will be from placebo effects, if those placebo effects enhance someone's enjoyment significantly it may be worth the £100 to that person.
Doesn't mean it's not snake oil to us, but we certainly should condemn anyone who wants to believe that it works...

i guess this is  true,  i mean its the same idea on silver vs copper cables, i buy silver some people dont believe silver makes a differences i do, so i buy it and believe i get the satisfaction from the product. but with a cable you can test its validity, i dont believe you can test a sd cards validity against say a run in the mill 64gb sd card that kind of where sony has got us.

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #20 of 121
i guess this is  true,  i mean its the same idea on silver vs copper cables, i buy silver some people dont believe silver makes a differences i do, so i buy it and believe i get the satisfaction from the product. but with a cable you can test its validity, i dont believe you can test a sd cards validity against say a run in the mill 64gb sd card that kind of where sony has got us.

Well on Sony's Japanese launch site, they have a graph of something...

What makes me extra suspicious, though, is that there is no scale on the graph, presumably to hide that the differences are negligible.
What it does mean is that there is some measurable difference in something, whatever that something is - I can't read Japanese so I can't tell honestly...

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #21 of 121
The "Bannana Audio" products above are truly amazing. 
wink.gif
 But in all seriousness the only way I would EVER buy this is if someone was able to tell the difference between it and a regular SD card in some form of double-blind testing scenario.

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #22 of 121
i donno i am sure they would have some type of depiction showing how their memory card outweighs other ''run in the mill'' memory cards  and its going to be to the benefit of the sony card. i can go to my local micro centre and get a 64gb or larger card for about $15.00.

you'd have to wonder if one who buys the card and believes they hear a change in sound quality is it because a spent $160.00? not hatin but just question motive.

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #23 of 121
Well on Sony's Japanese launch site, they have a graph of something...

What makes me extra suspicious, though, is that there is no scale on the graph, presumably to hide that the differences are negligible.
What it does mean is that there is some measurable difference in something, whatever that something is - I can't read Japanese so I can't tell honestly...

The measurable difference, if there is any, is in the electrical noise added to the signal when data is pulled off the card. I think that's what they're marketing this card as, low noise, which is what the article says.

Any electrical noise added to a digital signal will do nothing audible unless there's so much that bits are flipped from 0 to 1 or vice versa. If bits are not flipped, they will be read by the DAC as exactly the same values regardless of noise level, this is one of the benefits of digital audio. In the case that bits are flipped, you'll get static, pops, and dropouts once the analog signal is reconstructed, not subtle loss of quality or lower signal-to-noise ratio. The regular SD cards we have now work fine, or we'd know about it. The amount of noise they add is insignificant, the new card is just a little more insignificant.

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #24 of 121
The measurable difference, if there is any, is in the electrical noise added to the signal when data is pulled off the card. I think that's what they're marketing this card as, low noise, which is what the article says.

Any electrical noise added to a digital signal will do nothing audible unless there's so much that bits are flipped from 0 to 1 or vice versa. If bits are not flipped, they will be read by the DAC as exactly the same values regardless of noise level, this is one of the benefits of digital audio. In the case that bits are flipped, you'll get static, pops, and dropouts once the analog signal is reconstructed, not subtle loss of quality or lower signal-to-noise ratio. The regular SD cards we have now work fine, or we'd know about it. The amount of noise they add is insignificant, the new card is just a little more insignificant.

That was sort of what I expected to be the case, as it is Trading Standards (or foreign equivalents) can't take them up on it because it does do *something,* just something not worth doing :|

Feb 21, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #25 of 121
Just want to point out that asio isn't for sound quality its for near zero latency for sound production which is something that is not currently possible with most stock soundcard drivers (talking about realtek here). This is a HUGE problem when trying to record for example raw keyboard input with latency that often exceed 500 miliseconds on a lot of stock soundcard  drivers. This makes it impossible to keep everything on beat (impossible as in no human could possibly do this at all).

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #28 of 121
Feb 21, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #29 of 121
  Just want to point out that asio isn't for sound quality its for near zero latency for sound production which is something that is not currently possible with most stock soundcard drivers (talking about realtek here). This is a HUGE problem when trying to record for example raw keyboard input with latency that often exceed 500 miliseconds on a lot of stock soundcard  drivers. This makes it impossible to keep everything on beat (impossible as in no human could possibly do this at all).

Yup, I actually do some keyboard production with FL Studio and use ASIO in that regard. Just not sure why people think it would give any better audio quality. I guess maybe someone heard an audio engineer was using it and automatically assumed stuff. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back