Sony PFR-V1 (K1000 KILLER).... ORDERED!!!
Oct 20, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #61 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio-Fi could you take some pics
smily_headphones1.gif

Edwood, if someone would send me a K1000 for the purpose of comparison, I could definitely do that. I have a suitable amp I could drive them with.

And I sense sarcasm in your post. I never "thought" they would be K1000 killers. I don't "think" anything about them yet because I've never heard them. I have explained several times now why I put k1000 killers in the title, I don't want to explain again
frown.gif

PM me.

Oct 20, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #62 of 126
Saw this "Personal Speaker something or other" thing in Nagoya when I was attending a machine show there yesterday. It was being showcased in that audio store's 2F in Osu. They had it hooked up to a Luxman headphone amp and despite the rather noisy environment, it sounded quite interesting...the soundstage is very nice I'd say(At least the sound stage sounded alot more open than my W5000)!
Also hooked it up directly to my ipod and...it makes sound, but...oh well, it's ipod....
Will definitely grab one later this year...very neat toy despite the high price.

P.S. This thing definitely needs to be re-cabled to bring out all its potential...the stock cable is garbage beyond believe.

Oct 21, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #63 of 126
Ah sweet it can be driven by a normal headphone amp! Oh man I am dying to get them!!!
frown.gif
I have spoken with Alex about potentially recabling them.

Oct 21, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #64 of 126
They might not be beautiful.
But considering their price tag, and that Sony are a very serious vendor, I am sure they will sound quite nice. Can't wait for the first review.

Oct 21, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #65 of 126
I can't wait to start reading some impressions. I'm really itching for something with K1000 like sound stage but not the K1000 collector's item price.

Oct 21, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #67 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by notez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool article, talked about how the design of this headphone come about. The title reads "30mins concept, 2 years of development". If someone more familiar with Japanese can translate it for us it'd be nice!

Even with the choppy Google translation, a cool article. Thanks for the link. Quote:

Ah sweet it can be driven by a normal headphone amp! Oh man I am dying to get them!!!
frown.gif
I have spoken with Alex about potentially recabling them.

I actually think the 'booster' idea is a good one. If these can be driven sufficiently with it, the the ability to just connect a good source, and have a fully functional system is a good & practical thing.

003, don't even bother getting upset with the naysayers. Since almost all of us are operating without any actual experience with these, why not hold off your responses until you get the headphones on your head.

The truth is that such open headphones are completely impractical for me. If it wasn't, I'd just have speakers. That's why I ended up selling my K1000's. Even still, I'm curious about this new design from Sony, and look forward to your (and other's) impressions!

Oct 21, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #68 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, those are the most hideous things I have ever seen. I hope they sound better, however I highly doubt they would come close to the K1000's.

x2; they're pretty ugly...

Oct 21, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #69 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, those are the most hideous things I have ever seen. I hope they sound better, however I highly doubt they would come close to the K1000's.

I have seen a particular ancient AKG phone (likely a first-generation ever produced) that looks beyond ugly. It was repulsive! This Sony pair is far from ugly IMO.

Oct 21, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #70 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually think the 'booster' idea is a good one. If these can be driven sufficiently with it, the the ability to just connect a good source, and have a fully functional system is a good & practical thing.

I also think it's good. That's not stopping me from using a high quality headphone amp instead
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder how it would sound if it were recabled balanced and hooked up to a 4-board fully balanced b22
icon10.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #71 of 126
Quote:

I also think it's good. That's not stopping me from using a high quality headphone amp instead
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder how it would sound if it were recabled balanced and hooked up to a 4-board fully balanced b22
icon10.gif

Once my amp arrives (shortly) you can send it to me for an evaluation.
icon10.gif
Mine will have two Sigma22 power supplies as well, so it'll be beefy!
Alex is pretty close to me as well, he could just send it down once he's recabled it.
icon10.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #72 of 126
Quote:

Not to disagree with anyone but just to toss out an alternate opinion. There are plenty of people on head-fi that either consider the R10 or Qualia to be one of the best, or even the best headphones ever made. I have not heard them myself, and I can not comment.

I think some people believe that because they spent a ton of money on their headphones, they must be the best in existence. In some cases, that's true, i.e. the R10. But the Qualia has had so many mixed reviews on here. Some people love it, some people hate it. But hardly anyone who has heard the R10 hates it. The same can't be said for the Qualia, which makes me think it is worth nowhere near the price they charged for it. Based on markl's above comment, I think he agrees. The entire Qualia line seems to be an attempt to over-inflate the Sony ego. A good indication of that is the fact that their Qualia television still sells for $8,000 when newer Sony televisions beat it. It may have been the first of their televisions to offer silicon-on-crystal 1080p, but even when it came out it was not worth the price they were asking for it, which was much more than $8,000.

And please don't start the bashing sessions. I've never heard the Qualia, so this is just my opinion based on Head-Fi reviews. Some people obviously love them and some obviously hate them.

Oct 21, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #74 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think some people believe that because they spent a ton of money on their headphones, they must be the best in existence. In some cases, that's true, i.e. the R10. But the Qualia has had so many mixed reviews on here. Some people love it, some people hate it. But hardly anyone who has heard the R10 hates it. The same can't be said for the Qualia, which makes me think it is worth nowhere near the price they charged for it. Based on markl's above comment, I think he agrees. The entire Qualia line seems to be an attempt to over-inflate the Sony ego. A good indication of that is the fact that their Qualia television still sells for $8,000 when newer Sony televisions beat it. It may have been the first of their televisions to offer silicon-on-crystal 1080p, but even when it came out it was not worth the price they were asking for it, which was much more than $8,000.

And please don't start the bashing sessions. I've never heard the Qualia, so this is just my opinion based on Head-Fi reviews. Some people obviously love them and some obviously hate them.

To me Qualia is just changing the image of a specific product to make it look high-end. I am not a fan of Qualia but I do love my Qualia 010. My Qualia 010 is just 2 inches better than SA5000 which is using the same driver.

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #75 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I'm thinking too. A neat toy. But nothing to be taken seriously.

Thats getting annoying. You are talking about the Qualia, indirectly putting it down, then saying not to turn this into a bashing thread, and then bashing a headphone hardly anybody's ever heard before but who's specs would appear to compare favorably to some very high end headphones. Please lets wait until I actually have it on hand and have reviewed it before making negative comments on it's performance.

Or, if you have actual reasons why you think it is no more than an expensive toy, please state them. In some of the earlier threads, you did have reasons -- all of which I've debuncked in the first post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back