Sony PFR-V1 (K1000 KILLER).... ORDERED!!!
Oct 23, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #106 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Fitz,

You sound like the twins in Finding Nemo.

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who mentally puts Lain's voice to Fitz's words.

Oct 23, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #107 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet new info on the PFR-V1s...

The best review I've seen yet (though it's in Japanese, can anyone translate a general overview of it?):
http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/article...71019/1003591/

Also, more cool info in Japanese:
http://www.gizmodo.jp/2007/09/pfrv1s...ention_20.html

This one has pics of some of the prototypes of the PFR-V1!

That review is pretty sparse. The first two pages are more of an explanation about the general info on the ideas behind and details of the headphones than anything else, so nothing new there. As for the summary on the last page, as far as I can understand it the reviewer makes these points:

Some detail is lost due to the distance of the drivers, compared to the usually higher level of detail headphones have.

Soundstage is nice and natural, not "in your head."

Soundstage is on par with a nearfield set of speakers, like at a PC, but is lacking if you compare it to a good speaker system and listening room.

The disparity between the sound seeming to come from around you like speakers, but still moves when you turn your head, can feel a bit strange.

Bass is lacking, especially in impact. You can't "feel" the music.

Oct 23, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #108 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who mentally puts Lain's voice to Fitz's words.

I'm not even sure how to make the mental stretch for that... I've only ever heard Lain's voice in Japanese.

Oct 23, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #109 of 126
ヘッドホン再生に特化した「バイノーラル(ヘッドホン向けに処理された音声)」録音という手法もあるが、ご く限られたアーティストが時々思い出したようにやるくらいで、一般的にはまったく普及していない。最近のラ イン録音やモデリング音源を使ったソースには、むしろヘッドホン向きと思えるものもあるが、マイクロホンで 収録したアコースティックな音源は、やはり本物の音場とかけ離れた感じになってしまうの

NO WAY!!

Lol I think I need a translator.

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #110 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ヘッドホン再生に特化した「バイノーラル(ヘッドホン向けに処理された音声)」録音という手法もあるが、ご く限られたアーティストが時々思い出したようにやるくらいで、一般的にはまったく普及していない。最近のラ イン録音やモデリング音源を使ったソースには、むしろヘッドホン向きと思えるものもあるが、マイクロホンで 収録したアコースティックな音源は、やはり本物の音場とかけ離れた感じになってしまうのである 。

NO WAY!!

Lol I think I need a translator.

Fixed.

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #111 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass is lacking, especially in impact. You can't "feel" the music.

Aww, that's a real shame. Feeling the music is an integral part of my listening experience. I don't think I could enjoy headphones or speakers without the true bass experience (or as true as you can get with headphones).

I wonder if a place like Circuit City will have them available for demo. I know Good Guys would have, but I think they have been out of business for quite some time now, only having like two or three small kiosks in CompUSA, one of which I believe is in Hawaii.

Fitz, you may have to send me your K1000 to try out.
tongue.gif
(I'm also unclear about your recent post about acquiring them from Germany. Was that your first pair? I thought you had already owned them, based on your AKG picture collection.) (If I sound confused, it's because I'm a confused person.
tongue.gif
)

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #112 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aww, that's a real shame. Feeling the music is an integral part of my listening experience. I don't think I could enjoy headphones or speakers without the true bass experience (or as true as you can get with headphones).

I doubt you would be happy with the K1000 then (especially coming from the D5000
basshead.gif
). Remember, this review seems to be based off of using the little booster amp (which really means the signal is getting amped twice= bad) with god knows what source.

I'm going to have some serious amp and source behind it
smily_headphones1.gif

I will also use my Sony D-33 to test it with the booster.

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #113 of 126
Quote:

(I'm also unclear about your recent post about acquiring them from Germany. Was that your first pair? I thought you had already owned them, based on your AKG picture collection.) (If I sound confused, it's because I'm a confused person.
tongue.gif
)

I have only one pair, which I bought from a guy in Germany a few weeks ago.

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #114 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt you would be happy with the K1000 then (especially coming from the D5000
basshead.gif
). Remember, this review seems to be based off of using the little booster amp (which really means the signal is getting amped twice= bad) with god knows what source.

I'm going to have some serious amp and source behind it
smily_headphones1.gif

I will also use my Sony D-33 to test it with the booster.

I pretty much figured that but I wanted to give Fitz the benefit of the doubt.
tongue.gif
Just kidding, of course.

I'm sure the K1000 is an incredible headphone. But if that's true about the bass than you're right, I probably wouldn't enjoy it much. The D5000 feel extremely natural to me and have a very neutral sound. The bass was a little too powerful right out of the box, but after 20 -40 hrs., they are at their best.

You can feel live music... it has bass. Why people prefer their sound to be bass-insufficient I'll never understand.
frown.gif
<shrugs>

Yeah, I'm sure the V1's will sound much better with a real amp. Let me borrow them when you tire of them.
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #116 of 126
Quote:

Had you ever heard them before that point?

Are they the best of your AKG's?

Can I borrow them?
tongue.gif

1) Several times, including in my own system

2) There is no best

3) I do not trust you not to sabotage them

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #118 of 126
Quote:

tongue.gif
Even though I know you're joking

I am?
confused.gif

Quote:

Just take a look at my feedback.

I just did... now I have a headache. Your feedback link took me to an instruction manual.
frown.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #119 of 126
Quote:

I am?
confused.gif

frown.gif

But that's okay. I know you wouldn't want to part with them yet anyways. That's how I feel about my D5000. And unless I had the proper amplification for the K1000, it would be pretty pointless to borrow them. But hey, thanks for letting me down easy.
k1000smile.gif

I'm sure 003 is going to say something like, "Hey, stop talking about the K1000 in this PFR-V1 thread!", but it's all his fault since he went and labeled it a K1000 killer.
eggosmile.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #120 of 126
Quote:

I just did... now I have a headache. Your feedback link took me to an instruction manual.
frown.gif

OT: Holy cow...I've seen med school applications shorter than those "forms"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back