Sony PFR-V1 (K1000 KILLER).... ORDERED!!!
Oct 21, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #76 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me Qualia is just changing the image of a specific product to make it look high-end. I am not a fan of Qualia but I do love my Qualia 010. My Qualia 010 is just 2 inches better than SA5000 which is using the same driver.

Seriously? The Q10 & SA5000 share the same driver? How much better is the clarity & detail? Someone told me balancing the SA5000 brings them closer to the Q10.. The SA5000 get a nice boost going balanced..

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #77 of 126
Oct 21, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #78 of 126
Note the same rating for the Qualia, also similar rating for a lot of well respected headphones. I honestly can not read a word on that site, so I can't say anything specifically, but somehow I still question their review methods. Either that or their biases. It seems like they might have a lot of partiality to a certain sound signature or some other bias, which a good reviewer should not have. Put bluntly I don't trust them.

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #79 of 126
I agree partially, about bad ratings on a lot of respected headphones. Here is the actual review page:
http://www.geocities.jp/mister_terch/SONYPFRV1.html

Can anybody translate this? The google translation is complete rubbish, I won't even bother posting it. I am curious though, how they measured the frequency response of the PFR-V1. How would the bass tube be incorporated into the measurement?

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #80 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree partially, about bad ratings on a lot of respected headphones. Here is the actual review page:
http://www.geocities.jp/mister_terch/SONYPFRV1.html

Can anybody translate this? The google translation is complete rubbish, I won't even bother posting it. I am curious though, how they measured the frequency response of the PFR-V1. How would the bass tube be incorporated into the measurement?

I'll take a look at the rest of it in a bit. Here's the ranking summary for those who don't want to read the article (max is 5):

Comfort: 4
Sound Leakage / Isolation: 1
Sound Quality: 2.5 (personal preference)
Volume w/ iPod: 3

The reviewer supposes the reason for the low rating may have to do with having too high of expectations. Perhaps because it didn't turn out to be a K1000 killer?
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #81 of 126
Ok... well I've looked at a bunch of the other reviews, I don't know how well this can be trusted, the PortaPro and DT770 are rated the same for sound quality (4/5) as the Edition 9 and L3000, the KSC75 is rated higher than the PFR-V1 and the Qualia is also rated 2/5.

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #82 of 126
Guys, take some advice from the site: "Inferior confectionary tougen home village.". In other words, even if they suck, there's a chance of becoming superman.

That site also gave the K1000 5 stars, so I think we can assume they sound nothing alike.

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #83 of 126
I've posted a want to borrow thread for the K1000, now I am really curious to directly compare them. If anybody has a K1000 that you are willing to let me borrow please contact me via pm!

Ahhhhhh this wait is killing me
frown.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #84 of 126
Loose translation of the page - fyi, I really didn't spend too much time on it. The page really didn't have anything good to say about them.

---------------------
-Tilted heavily toward the highs.
-Very thin on the bass.
-Frequency balance similar to Qualia, but the PFR-V1 has much thinner sound.
-Lack of quality on bass
-Something odd in the bass region - warped(?)/vibration(?)/distorted
-Vocal is thin.
-Soundstage is good for headphones, but not as good as expected.

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #85 of 126
Well that sure is interesting. All the other reviews I've managed to track down were quite good. When they arrive, I will settle this once and for all
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #86 of 126
BTW, the ratings aren't of "sound quality". To quote from the site: Quote:

Especially concerning "the taste degree of sound",
It meaning that extent of subjectivity is high very
Please receive lightly.

Oct 21, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #87 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, the ratings aren't of "sound quality". To quote from the site:

Which is why I wrote this as such on the previous page...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound Quality: 2.5 (personal preference)

I didn't really want to write the category as "How Much I Liked The Sound"
tongue.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #88 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok... well I've looked at a bunch of the other reviews, I don't know how well this can be trusted, the PortaPro and DT770 are rated the same for sound quality (4/5) as the Edition 9 and L3000, the KSC75 is rated higher than the PFR-V1 and the Qualia is also rated 2/5.

It's not really a question of trust I think. The question is whether you agree with the reviewer's taste of the headphones you've both heard? I know I've come to sharply disagree with a number of "trusted" reviewers, so it isn't really cause for alarm.

But one thing in the review which I thought was a good point was that the bass duct would block some of the non-bass sound from entering the ear tunnel. Sort of defeats the purpose of trying for a very "open" soundstage when your ear tunnel is partially blocking the sound.

Oct 22, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #89 of 126
Oct 22, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #90 of 126
But none of this really matters. Break it down and you'll just have to wait 'til they arrive. After you've heard them you'll either like them or you won't. If you do and most others don't so what? Some have already made their mind up without ever having heard them.

All I'm trying to say is don't lose track of the idea that the only one you need to please is you. Your opinion is the only important one for you. No one can devalue your enjoyment of any piece of gear. Being an audiophile simply isn't possible without completely trusting your own ear, and not worrying that someone else might not hold the same opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back