Sony PFR-V1 (K1000 KILLER).... ORDERED!!!
Oct 17, 2007 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 126

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=medium]NOTE:[/size] "K1000 KILLER" is included in the title to draw attention to this thread and help keep it alive. I have not yet heard them and I do not know how they compare to the K1000.

I have officially placed an order for the new Sony PFR-V1 headphones! They are brand new, the shipped price was under $500 and I do not have to wait for pre-order or anything like that!! I got them on this e-bay auction (still one left for anybody interested):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190162339132

Here's a nice shot of them from the auction:
PFR-V1.jpg

All right then, once again I feel the need to clear up some controversial information regarding the specifications of these headphones for anybody new to them or anybody who has not seem my previous posts on them.

THE MAXIMUM INPUT POWER:
Many people are put off by the maximum rated input power of 60mW. THAT IS FALSE. 200mW is the real maximum input power. 60mW is just when you are using it's battery powered class D amp, called the booster, which brings me to my next point.

THEY ARE BATTERY POWERED!?!
A resounding NO!! The only part of them that is battery powered is the optional portable amp, the booster. You CAN INSTEAD plug them into a high end headphone amp without the booster! And I don't know what the huge issue about the booster being battery powered is. Many of the highly regarded portable amps discussed on head-fi are battery powered themselves. I personally think it is great of sony to include an option of using these headphones in a portable situation, which leads me to my next point.

What? IMPEDANCE ONLY 16 OHMS? THESE MUST BE CRAP!!
Another resounding NO. Since when does impedance determine sound quality? Since never. In fact, a well designed headphone amp has a much easier time putting out voltage than it does current, and voltage is what you need to drive high impedance headphones. Low impedance headphones need more current than voltage, and headphone amps have a much harder time with current. Generally, solid state amps handle current output much better than tube amps, and tube amps handle voltage output much better. There can be exceptions to this, for a price of course.

And take a look at the sensitivity of these headphones. 93dB/mW. Thats pretty darn low, especially when you look at the low impedance. This is the hardest kind of headphone for an amp to drive, low sensitivity AND low impedance. So don't sit there saying this thing is like a toy made to be hooked up directly to an iPod. It's not, folks.

ONLY DOWN TO 35Hz BASS RESPONSE?! THE BASS MUST SUCK!!
Actually, no. The K1000 also has a rated frequency response of down to 35Hz, and it is highly praised, several people prefer it to the Orpheus. And the K1000's rating of 35Hz is pretty darn hyperbolic if you ask me. It rolls off sharply closer to 45 or 50Hz. My guess is that the rating on the PFR-V1 is much more realistic. It dosen't have an acoustical short like the K1000 does. An acoustical short is when the front of the driver is not isolated from the back of the driver, and this very effectively puts a damper on the bass response. It does not mean it has to sound bad, it just means the bass is not going to go down as low as a headphone without an acoustical short. Plus, the PFR-V1 has the bass tube, which channels the low frequency sound directly to your ears instead of just letting it disperse in the air.

And frankly, what most people fail to realize is that many of the high end headphones talked about here on head-fi roll off at around 35hz anyway.
-----------------------------------------

All right then, I hope I've managed to clear up people's doubts about the design of this headphone. When I get it I will for sure post lots of pictures and offer the best review I can. To say I'm excited is an understatement. I hope they live up to my expectations!

Oh yeah, if you want to know more about these headphones, feel free to e-mail Sony Japan. They speak English and are very helpful and know what they are talking about. E-mail is:
info-cic [at] sony.co.jp

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, reads like a formal review, yet no actual product in hand. And are you actually going to have a pair of AKG K1000's to compare with personally?

-Ed

No, but I used to own a K1000 with the Pass Labs Aleph 30.

If somebody would like to send me one for comparison, I've got no problem with that.
k1000smile.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 126
That would probably be the most anticipated headphone review in 2007.
k1000smile.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, reads like a formal review, yet no actual product in hand. And are you actually going to have a pair of AKG K1000's to compare with personally?

-Ed

DITTO!

I like the idea/concept, but cannot grasp how damn ugly these things are.

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, those are the most hideous things I have ever seen. I hope they sound better, however I highly doubt they would come close to the K1000's.

I will be impressed if they merely don't sound like rubbish.

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already told you, they do not beat AKG.

LOL. Not again.
tongue.gif

P.S. I actually saw you post about something other than AKG in one of the threads. And then of course, I came upon the collection of AKG's in your closet. One must wonder how you have found the time to listen to all of those in only the past 8 months you've acquired them. It's a very nice collection, but I can't imagine having to go to your closet every time you listen to a song and saying, "Ah, for this song, this pair will sound the best."

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, those are the most hideous things I have ever seen. I hope they sound better, however I highly doubt they would come close to the K1000's.

Another good point. Do you really think a company of sony's size, and with their experience in marketing would really put out a product that is not only ugly and expensive, but does not live up to what they said it does? Marketing disaster right there, and sonys not that stupid, I don't think.

I've said this a million times but I'll say it again. Look at sony's other high end dynamic headphones, the R10, Qualia 010, CD3000, SA5000, MDR-F1, etc... They obviously have a lot of experience with extremely high end dynamic headphones and are not new to this.

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL. Not again.
tongue.gif

It is not a "random again." I know 003 so I am poking fun at him being excited over this unproven headphone.

Quote:

It's a very nice collection, but I can't imagine having to go to your closet every time you listen to a song and saying, "Ah, for this song, this pair will sound the best."

You're a very funny man.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've said this a million times but I'll say it again. Look at sony's other high end dynamic headphones, the R10, Qualia 010, CD3000, SA5000, MDR-F1, etc... They obviously have a lot of experience with extremely high end dynamic headphones and are not new to this.

Yes, but except for the F1, they are all "traditional" headphone designs. A design such as this is pretty much new territory, so that is why I am skeptical.

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #14 of 126
Quote:

I'm being serious. How do you determine which pair you choose for a given song? Or are most of them just to own as collector's items? It wasn't a joke.
cool.gif

Yes, because we know I would seriously change headphones for each song.

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #15 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but except for the F1, they are all "traditional" headphone designs. A design such as this is pretty much new territory, so that is why I am skeptical.

I can't say I'm not a bit skeptical, and actually, that mixed with also being naturally curious is what made me take the first plunge here. Well, I'll know how they are when I get them, I guess.
cool.gif

EDIT:
Let's try and keep this thread on topic! We can discuss Fitz's "closet of AKG" in another thread
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back