Sony PFR-V1 (K1000 KILLER).... ORDERED!!!
Oct 17, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #31 of 126
You know what I want to know... where is Duggeh?! I thought he was the one that is supposed to take the first plunge on all the strange, expensive headphones!

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #32 of 126
I just can't wait for your official review. These may be something I pick up just to be different. However I will wait for your break-in of the headphones first. You know you will have to get use to them.
icon10.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #33 of 126
LOL. You really like this headphones huh? Well you won't be disappointed. It's weird and unusual but the sound is great. You should see what prototypes Sony give us before they even announce it. This is the only weird thing that came out of Sony that I have ever tested. But then again there is this one headphones......
tongue.gif

P.S.
My half ass review from the other PFR-V1 thread.

The metal thing that clamps in your ears where most of the bass comes from. It doesn't vibrate or anything but it acts like a subwoofer. The bass has like a Westone UM2 sound but not that dark and has more detail and tightness to it. The mids are very well balanced since there is separation. The highs are smooth and hits almost all the way to 20KHz. The overall sound is a bit like open headphones and not like speakers. I can't rate this over or under Sennheiser HD-580 just because there are varying emotions on what this headphones is about . This is more fun than it is flat. This is a uncomfortable headphones but you willl get used to it. Also on the plus side this is the first "open" headphones that I used that render both female vocals and male vocals very accurately. I haven't tried it through a DAP or a consumer amplifier. The sources I tested it on is the studios mixer and through the computer which is all random vocals, instruments, and some finished songs .wav files. To me this $549.99 (as we are told) retail headphones is not worth it because the looks of it and the comfort. If you are a fan of open-air headphones then this is good for you. I am still not comfortable rating it because of the mixed emotions on this headphones that makes it so damn complicated.

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #34 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another good point. Do you really think a company of sony's size, and with their experience in marketing would really put out a product that is not only ugly and expensive, but does not live up to what they said it does? Marketing disaster right there, and sonys not that stupid, I don't think.

I've said this a million times but I'll say it again. Look at sony's other high end dynamic headphones, the R10, Qualia 010, CD3000, SA5000, MDR-F1, etc... They obviously have a lot of experience with extremely high end dynamic headphones and are not new to this.

It's priced in line with the CD3000 and SA5000, IMO headphones that are nothing to write home about.

If it was a statement product they would have been priced accordingly to the amount of R&D that went into them. I would be very impressed if they're anything more than gimmick portable headphones.

And if Sony pricing has showed us anything the street price will fall to about half that in a few months as seen by the CD3000 and SA5000 MSRP when it first came out (people were importing them for around $600-700, and then the price plummeted). Search back to the SA5000 thread by gsferrari for more info.

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #35 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL. You really like this headphones huh? Well you won't be disappointed. It's weird and unusual but the sound is great. You should see what prototypes Sony give us before they even announce it. This is the only weird thing that came out of Sony that I have ever tested. But then again there is this one headphones......
tongue.gif

P.S.
My half ass review from the other PFR-V1 thread.

The metal thing that clamps in your ears where most of the bass comes from. It doesn't vibrate or anything but it acts like a subwoofer. The bass has like a Westone UM2 sound but not that dark and has more detail and tightness to it. The mids are very well balanced since there is separation. The highs are smooth and hits almost all the way to 20KHz. The overall sound is a bit like open headphones and not like speakers. I can't rate this over or under Sennheiser HD-580 just because there are varying emotions on what this headphones is about . This is more fun than it is flat. This is a uncomfortable headphones but you willl get used to it. Also on the plus side this is the first "open" headphones that I used that render both female vocals and male vocals very accurately. I haven't tried it through a DAP or a consumer amplifier. The sources I tested it on is the studios mixer and through the computer which is all random vocals, instruments, and some finished songs .wav files. To me this $549.99 (as we are told) retail headphones is not worth it because the looks of it and the comfort. If you are a fan of open-air headphones then this is good for you. I am still not comfortable rating it because of the mixed emotions on this headphones that makes it so damn complicated.

Comfort?? Who cares about comfort
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
Its all about the sound!

rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #36 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's priced in line with the CD3000 and SA5000, IMO headphones that are nothing to write home about.

If it was a statement product they would have been priced accordingly to the amount of R&D that went into them. I would be very impressed if they're anything more than gimmick portable headphones.

And if Sony pricing has showed us anything the street price will fall to about half that in a few months as seen by the CD3000 and SA5000 MSRP when it first came out (people were importing them for around $600-700, and then the price plummeted). Search back to the SA5000 thread by gsferrari for more info.

All the reviews from people that have heard them, which are few and most in poorly translated Japanese sound fantastic, audio-fi made a comment about the insane soundstage which he did not quote in the review he posted here. If there is any chance they are like the K1000, I will be the first one to take the plunge.

All the people saying bad things about them, yeah they might not be so great in the end. Then again....

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #38 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it just rests at the entrance of your ear canal, it doesn't go in your ear. That would be pretty nasty.
eek.gif

PFR-V1_3.jpg

Kinda looks like it goes in your ear canal...
confused.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #39 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PFR-V1_3.jpg

Kinda looks like it goes in your ear canal...
confused.gif

That picture is from above, so the protruding part at the bottom is part in front of the ear canal that sticks out. That picture shows it sitting right where an earbud (not IEM) would sit, which I don't consider in the ear canal.

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #40 of 126
It does not go in your ear canal, it hooks around that little flap of cartilage/skin that is right outside the entrance to your ear canal.

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #41 of 126
Quote:

[size=medium]NOTE:[/size] "K1000 KILLER" is included in the title to draw attention to this thread and help keep it alive. I have not yet heard them and I do not know how they compare to the K1000.

Quote:

All the reviews from people that have heard them, which are few and most in poorly translated Japanese sound fantastic, audio-fi made a comment about the insane soundstage which he did not quote in the review he posted here. If there is any chance they are like the K1000, I will be the first one to take the plunge.

All the people saying bad things about them, yeah they might not be so great in the end. Then again....

You've already had one thread where you called this thing you've never heard a "K1000 Killer" and now you have named another thread the same thing in your quest to draw more attention to your own thread. Not sure why you need to keep doing that, but maybe it would evoke less negative response if you just call it what it is -- a new, untested headphone with unique characteristics -- and people will pay as much attention as they want to without reacting to your assumptions and your responses to their counter-assumptions. Still, it's great that you are checking these out and I will look forward to your impressions.

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #42 of 126
I in no way mean it actually is a K1000 killer. I don't know. Could it be? Maybe. I don't have high hopes that it really will be, but overall I do have high hopes.

I know I used k1000 killer in another thread. Only reason I'm doing that is because it seems like all the other threads about the PFR-V1 quickly die off. Just trying to spread the word on it, thats all.

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #43 of 126
Looks interesting. Funny thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #45 of 126
I really can't imagine that the soundstage could be anything but fantastic given the design. I'm really curious about these, and very happy 003 was intrigued enough to take the plunge for us. And I like his idea to stir up some interest in the thread.
k1000smile.gif

Will you give us some pics of them in place, so we can see what they look like on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back