Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Oct 28, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #6,451 of 7,711

Thanks for your thorough explanation!
The S-Master is an amplification chip, right? So even if I were to use analog line out, like T.R.A.N.C.E suggested, the ZX1 will only convert the signal to analog and then leave amping to the external DAC/amplifier, leaving S-Master HX out of the equation? Or is S-Master also involved in digital-to-analog conversion? 

However, after reading up on the PHA-3, it seems the balanced headphone connection (ideal for MDR-Z7) only works with an all digital input, so that will be the option I'll use. With whatever source/library/transport I'll find useful then. :)

Using the analog out uses the S-Master chip, using digital out does not. The S-Master chip is just a PWM (or digital signal) to analog converter, so using the Line out actually is leaving the S-Master to do exactly its usual job, but outputting an unamplified signal. I personally think the only reason that a DAC is even included in the PHA series is so that they can be used with smart phones and computers that don't have good DAC's. As using the Line out from the ZX-1 or other S-Master DAP provides an excellent signal to be used by an external amp.

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #6,452 of 7,711
I still use either the ZX-1 or the A17 to send the signal over to the PHA-3 given its hi-rez capability.  I have the PHA-3 now and it is very superb device especially for CIEMs or easy to drive cans.  I would get the ZX-1 & A17 or even the old AK100 for that matter if you want to play hi-rez and sending signal over to the PHA-3.  Otherwise, Apple/iPad or some andriod devices playing lossless will do just fine acting as a digital transport.

To think it the A17 is likely an even better candidate the ZX1 given its much longer battery life.  I auditioned the A17 against the ZX1 briefly in Bangkok and the A17 is very good but the ZX1 still sound a tad more refined over all.  I hope the to get the A17 soon and think it will replace my ZX1 given its size, storage, and battery life.  

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #6,453 of 7,711
Sounds like a tempting combo to use the ZX1 and PHA-3 with line-out, I will probably have to try that one sometime too. Do you know if there is any official Sony WM-PORT line-out cable, or is FiiO L5 the only option?

However, as stated earlier, to use the balanced headphone connection it will have to be a digital USB connection.

Exciting to hear about the A17 battery life. Might replace my ZX1 too if I tend to primarily use an external DAC later on, though I don't really have high hopes that I will bear to carry the PHA-3 around in my pocket :)

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #6,455 of 7,711
purk - Is the battery of the ZX1 drained considerably faster when connected to the PHA-3? How long would you think it lasts?

One of the main attractions of the ZX-1 is its stated 32 hours battery life. Even using it just for FLAC and DSD, I can get close to 20 hours.
Hence I for one am very reluctant to pair it with external DAC amps like their own PHA-2 or PHA-3 and take a significant hit on battery life.

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #6,456 of 7,711
The ZX-1 pairs beautifully with the PLEX media center on my iMac using the Sony's DLNA Server app. Graphics are minimal though so I downloaded the PLEX app onto the Sony and it really is a sight to behold.

Oct 28, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #6,457 of 7,711
Anyone have experience with isyncr and zx1? After syncing, tried to open with the native Sony player in zx1, the play list is there but there's no song in it. However the songs are in the player because I see them in the all song list.

And anyone got issue with the drop down menu in portrait mode? I can't do it on mine but in landscape mode, it does

If you are referring to Content Transfer, it broke after 'upgrading' to iTunes 12.0.1.26

It no longer recognises playlists, Smart or standard. You can make folders but they will revert to the individual songs track number order. If someone has a workaround...?

Oct 28, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #6,458 of 7,711
  purk - Is the battery of the ZX1 drained considerably faster when connected to the PHA-3? How long would you think it lasts?

I can only get b/w 5-6 hours with the screen turning off.  
One of the main attractions of the ZX-1 is its stated 32 hours battery life. Even using it just for FLAC and DSD, I can get close to 20 hours.
Hence I for one am very reluctant to pair it with external DAC amps like their own PHA-2 or PHA-3 and take a significant hit on battery life.

Well, you get the PHA-3 for significant boost in sound quality.  It is very drastic IMO compared to the stock headphone output sound.  Plus the PHA3 can power easy to drive phones very well especially during a balanced connection.  What setting do you use to get around 20 hours on the ZX1?  Would you mind sharing the secret?

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #6,459 of 7,711
What setting do you use to get around 20 hours on the ZX1?  Would you mind sharing the secret?

I get around 20 hours when using headphone out and perhaps some of these steps help:
1. I listen to full albums so once an album starts playing the screen is off. I hardly turn it on as I usually just adjust volume, pause etc using the side buttons. The screen is then on again when I choose the next album. I don't use shuffle play etc.
2. I switch off wifi, bluetooth, turn down screen brightness etc. Wifi is only switched on when I need it.
3. The device has 1 GB of RAM but more than half is Android bloatware. I delete every single app I don't use including Chrome. I have my smartphones for that purpose. I bought the ZX to play music, not to surf the net, play games etc. I now use just 125 MB - the biggest apps are seagate media 33 MB, Plex 21 MB, Google Play store 16 MB, and Android system 6 MB.

I don't know if this also helps but I almost never use Line Out (except when it was new and I was jus experimenting). I have other DAPs, DACs and amps for that. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #6,465 of 7,711
  @ZX1 owners

What are you comments on this video and measurements?

http://www.lachlanlikesathing.com/2014/06/sony-nwz-zx1-vs-iphone-5s-measurements.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrG29RXxlfc

Hi,

While i don't question the above measurements, my opinion is that SNR measure is practically meaningless. Recorded music rarely (if ever) goes above the 50db dynamic range for classical, and no more than 30db for pop, rock etc. There are many other variables that determine the quality of reproduction, than the SNR. 

The author is also missing the point on resolution.
Higher resolution (e.g 24 bit) will offer more accurate samples regardless of the dynamic range.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back