Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Nov 1, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #6,466 of 7,711

@ZX1 owners

What are you comments on this video and measurements?

http://www.lachlanlikesathing.com/2014/06/sony-nwz-zx1-vs-iphone-5s-measurements.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrG29RXxlfc

Hi,

While i don't question the above measurements, my opinion is that SNR measure is practically meaningless. Recorded music rarely (if ever) goes above the 50db dynamic range for classical, and no more than 30db for pop, rock etc. There are many other variables that determine the quality of reproduction, than the SNR. 

The author is also missing the point on resolution.
Higher resolution (e.g 24 bit) will offer more accurate samples regardless of the dynamic range.

Regards

both measurements if they are right, show great sound for portable(specially crosstalk is often really poor on portable devices), you mustn't put that against manufacturer's specs, all products pretend to do 110 or 120db SNR, that's a load of crap. they do that in the digital domains, or at the amp section output only with no load, or with the ideal load etc.
but I must disagree with your explanations.
SNR is measured on those test with a certain voltage, that forces you to push the DAP really loud and a LOT louder than what you would use on IEMs. so when you'll use your IEMs, having a SNR or -70db instead of -90db, will make the hiss 20db louder and more likely to be heard under some circumstances. simply because lowering the volume is not bringing all the noises down with it. so in effect you can very much end up hearing the noise clearly with very sensitive IEMs on calm passages while listening to average loudness. because say the measurement was done outputting what would be 90db for the IEM, when you're listening calmly at say 70db, that will mean some of the noise is now 20db loud on that particular IEM and you will hear it on silent passages.
but still usually when the SNR measures better than 75db on most RMAA, it means most people will never mind any noise. only the ones with really picky stuff(togo 334, se846...) should really look for better specs or simply get an amp that has better specs. and that's what lachlan is saying I think. he's bummed out because he expected the sound to go with the price, but it's the look that goes with the price the most.

I also disagree with the higher resolution being more accurate. while it's true in the end(at least for higher sample rate), it's usually not audible as what it's improving is usually some noise well below -80db. so from 0 to -80db from 20hz to at least 16 or 18khz(depending on the roll off filter) the sound is 100% the same in 16/44. that's why people fail blind tests. I won't start a pointless war and people who feel they can hear improvement over hires should just use hires. but the improvement will be way down below the music itself that is as you said often in the first 50 or 60db of dynamic.

now while I'm saying all this, those measurements seem to show stuff well below all this and well below audible range so to me they both should sound very transparent and the same indeed on most heasy to drive headphones at least. and it's not a bad thing, it only means that we have at last reached transparency in portable audio. now we just have to concentrate on driving power and getting the right amp when it's needed.
I sure would love my cheaper DAPs to have the noise and crosstalk values of the ZX1.

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #6,467 of 7,711
Hi,

First post here. Just received the ZX1. Perfect with in-ear (Shure).

I was wondering if there is a method to play through my older Onkyo 919 receiver. I'm currently using the analog output of the ZX1 to connect to the CD-in cinch, but this not only very silent, but also not up to the quality ...

First idea was to search for a possibility to take the ZX1 output and convert it somehow to optical audio to connect to the receiver, but no idea if this would work ...

Any options would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Geert

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #6,468 of 7,711
Hi,

First post here. Just received the ZX1. Perfect with in-ear (Shure).

I was wondering if there is a method to play through my older Onkyo 919 receiver. I'm currently using the analog output of the ZX1 to connect to the CD-in cinch, but this not only very silent, but also not up to the quality ...

First idea was to search for a possibility to take the ZX1 output and convert it somehow to optical audio to connect to the receiver, but no idea if this would work ...

Any options would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Geert

You can get a cable that will turn the port on the zx1 into a line out. I believe Fiio make one, as does Sony

Nov 10, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #6,469 of 7,711
  Has anyone did comparison of european and japanese version of ZX1? Is there a significant max volume differerence?

I'm also interest to know, I will be visiting Japan next year and might pick one up, Japan has both the international version and japanese version, either one willl be cheaper than buying it from Hong Kong from where I live.

I also see a lot of accessories in the Japanese Sony site, will also pick up some.

hopefully they will match my ex600, ex800st and xba 3.

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #6,470 of 7,711
My ZX1 gives the error "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped" when I turn it on. Any idea which app I've disabled is the culprit? Stupid Android!

EDIT: Never mind. It was download manager.

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #6,471 of 7,711
Just a question regarding the internal memory, after playing around with a few of the ZX 1 at the sony centre and showroom, I have noticed that the internal memory is approximate 1GB, does anyone know if this includes the systems files, even without the system files, isn't it kind of little, if you are going to install apps, although you can store apps into the USB storage, the main files will still be installed in the main memory.

I know a few people will say that this will be used as a music player only, but some apps may be important, and with the continuous update, im sure it will fill up the memory quickly, and the from one of the units at the showroom, I see there is a update 1.13 (i think), and it's at 350MB, and 700MB is already used up.

can anyone confirm this.

Nov 14, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #6,472 of 7,711

I actually deleted the bulk of the Android apps and so at the moment I use less than 100MB of the internal memory. I bought the ZX-1 to play music, not to play games nor surf the Net.

Nov 14, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #6,473 of 7,711
I wish these reviews would not focus so heavily on SNR. High Resolution music "can" have a bigger dynamic range, but in reality, most recordings don't even get close to 120dB from the quietest to the loudest portions of the music. Also, the higher resolution gives greater graduations within that dynamic range that it is capable of reproducing. For example, if we consider in very simplistic terms with 16 bit music that you could have a saxophone with a volume of 10 and a drum at 20, then with 24 bit, the saxophone could be at a volume of 10.3 and a drum of 19.7. Whether this is audible, or any aspect of high resolution music is audibly differential to its CD quality counterpart is another argument. Of course there are yet other supposed benefits to high resolution music as well. And all this goes to show that we shouldn't get hung up, on what I believe is the least relevant aspect, the SNR.

With regards to the noise floor on the ZX1, I only really hear it just after I plug the IEMs into the ZX1. It let's out a burst of hiss and then it goes away. During normal music listening, including music I am never aware of background hiss with the AKG K3003i, but I can imagine with very sensitive IEMs that the experience could be different. 

Nov 15, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #6,475 of 7,711
Hi,
I own ZX1 since some weeks/months. Happy about that but very low volume...

I own now AKG 745 but wanted to upgrade to sennheiser HD 700.

Which DAC/AMP do you suggest me?

I am thinking Sony HPA-3 or Theorem 720 or HIFIman M8.

Nov 15, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #6,476 of 7,711
Sony HPA-2 works wonders with the ZX1, as it was built primarily to work with it.

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #6,477 of 7,711
Recently had a double blind test of some Hi-Res and same standard 16/44 audio on a £17k Linn stereo system and myself and two friends could not hear a difference at all. Don't think I will be replacing my collection with HiRes anytime soon :)

On the ZX1 front what are peoples impressions on the Clearaudio + setting? I have got my ZX1 and been comparing it against my FiiO X5. So far I feel the X5 gives a more balanced performance and feels quite natural. The ZX1, with no Clearaudio+, is quite sterile and bright. Does do stringed instruments very nicely but there are just some oddities with voices and drums. Slightly unnatural. With Clearaudio+ everything changes, suddenly there is a tonne of bass and everything sounds 'fun'. Ultra wide soundstage and punchy BUT not exactly transparent.

Interested to hear other peoples views.....

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #6,478 of 7,711
have you done the firmware update since getting it?... that will change the SQ.

you want to have a nose in the Hugo thread, the designer Rob Watts prefers Red-Book over Hi-Res, I'm sure he'd be interested in your Linn findings.

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #6,479 of 7,711
Hey, I have 1.13.0009. Sony UK website suggests that is the latest....

Will have a look at the Hugo thread but reluctant to post anymore on HiRes. Seem to be a lot of people with faith based hearing rather than studying the science first and knowing the limits of their own auditory system. Last thing I need is be bullied online! :)

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #6,480 of 7,711
  Seem to be a lot of people with faith based hearing....

laugh.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back