Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jul 12, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #5,941 of 7,711
The one thing holding me back is whether I can stream from something like the Seagate Wireless HDD (2TB $199) using DLNA. A friend and I tried it today on an earlier generation Seagate (500GB GoFlex) and it was fine for all formats including high Rez FLAC but it will just not show up any DSD files.

Has anyone achieved this.

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #5,943 of 7,711
Thanks seeteeyou, but that's a bit complicated for me. You mean it doesn't work automatically?

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #5,944 of 7,711
hey everyone, I didn't want to start a new thread, but it appears there is a new Walkman coming, unknown at this moment if it will feature any S-Master AMPs, but it is an A-Series so the higher end model, so S-master should ship with it.  It will have NFC, bluetooth and coming in 16 an 64 GB capacities. 

Also from the images, it seems finally Sony has decided to add micro-SD support :wink:  Debut most likely at IFA in Sept, along with the WS-Series.

http://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/new-sony-series-coming-at-ifa-2014.html

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #5,945 of 7,711
Have done the firmware update via Mac.
Still nothing happened. I will contact sony some other time, good thing there's ak240 but really sad for zx1
Thanks for the help!

anyone else would of been on the phone to Sony asking for help immediately... enjoy your price hike to the AK240, A&K have a great record for smooth operating non-buggy products, enjoy.

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #5,946 of 7,711
  hey everyone, I didn't want to start a new thread, but it appears there is a new Walkman coming, unknown at this moment if it will feature any S-Master AMPs, but it is an A-Series so the higher end model, so S-master should ship with it.  It will have NFC, bluetooth and coming in 16 an 64 GB capacities. 

Also from the images, it seems finally Sony has decided to add micro-SD support :wink:  Debut most likely at IFA in Sept, along with the WS-Series.

http://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/new-sony-series-coming-at-ifa-2014.html

This could be very interesting indeed.  Something between the current f series and the nwz zx1 could be very welcome indeed.  Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the first time (if it happens) that aside from the stupidly expensive zx1 sony have released a 64 gig model in europe?

OP, it might be worth creating a new thread so this one doesn't get de-railed!

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #5,948 of 7,711
  David... the AK240 is stupidly expensive, the ZX1 is a bargain in comparison.... be interesting to see if Sony dump Android & go back to their traditional route. 

Is dumping Android a good or a bad thing? I think having access to services like Spotify etc is quite valuable in a DAP...especially with some services now offering high-resolution music

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #5,949 of 7,711

Is dumping Android a good or a bad thing? I think having access to services like Spotify etc is quite valuable in a DAP...especially with some services now offering high-resolution music

it's debatable I suppose...  the X-Series had internet connectivity but wasn't Android so there are options, it would be an absolute boon if they went for a Windows based system.

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #5,950 of 7,711
What special processing is the ZX1 native player doing that other players are not?

Firstly, I have a trial subscription to Qobuz which streams lossless FLAC. Using a Sonos I validated that the track "Get Lucky" from the album "Random Access Memories" by "Daft Punk" sounded exactly the same as my own lossless FLAC generated from the CD. It is absolutely 100% identical, including volume level etc.

But, if I play the lossless streamed FLAC from Qobuz on my ZX1 and compare it to the same track stored on internal memory using the native player, they sound very different.

Clearly the native player is doing some kind of processing even though I have every tick box disabled for enhancements. Any ideas what it is actually doing?

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #5,953 of 7,711
Could you explain a bit more on this? The amplifier is always working otherwise you wouldn't hear any sound at all from Spotify or Qobuz etc... so what is actually different when using the native player with the amplifier section?

I'm not sure about the amp only working with the native player comment. But in my experiences there is some link between the hardware and the native player. You can test this by doing the volume hack trick, and you'll find that none of the other players are affected by the mod.

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #5,954 of 7,711
it's debatable I suppose...  the X-Series had internet connectivity but wasn't Android so there are options, it would be an absolute boon if they went for a Windows based system.

I see the Android platform as an enabler for flexibility to the user. If the Windows platform can offer the same, great. Given how I use my unit, I would be disappointed if Sony were to dump Android in favour of an OS that didn't offer me that same level of flexibility in terms of installing apps which add functionality such as automation to my unit's operation.

"If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. " - Artstar

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #5,955 of 7,711
stream from something like the Seagate Wireless HDD (2TB $199) using DLNA.

Out of the box, it won't do DSD. I have the 1TB unit I bought a couple months ago. You might be able to do it with Twonky, as already suggested. If you dare to try it, let us know your findings. I'm perfectly happy with hi-res FLACs.

"If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. " - Artstar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back