Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jul 16, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #5,971 of 7,711
I skipped both ZX1 & F8 Series as the Z Walkman is what I wanted in a Sony.

I love the ZX1 the most, and dislike the Z Walkman due to limited amout of RAM & slowness.  The great thing I found about the my Z1070 is the mini HDMI port.  I can connect my Z1070 to a Wifi Hard Drive, play standard lossless and digital out to my NAD m51 without a glitch.  The digital out from the USB port is very crap shoot.  It works on some DACs but not all, plus it is quite a drains on the battery, while user not able to charge it. 

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #5,974 of 7,711
Is there a place where I can find battery life for all supported formats and bit rates? I'm specifically interested in knowing what the lifetime is for continuous playback of 320kbps MP3 files.

Also, I have a PHA-2 DAC connected to my ZX1 via the supplied walkman hi-res cable, but I noticed that adjusting eq settings doesn't do anything. Is this normal?

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #5,976 of 7,711
hi I thought the pha2 only worked with its devices over usb. Can you confirm usb dac support now works over android usb otg? Thanks

USB otg support has always worked for me with my nexus 5.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #5,977 of 7,711
  A question for the owners (I couldn't make a clear impression from reading the manual): how is the ZX1 seen by the computer? As MTP device or as USB storage?

thanks in advance!

Both, you can choose.

Jul 17, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #5,979 of 7,711
  Thanks! That's great news. Everything I have read and even the Sony web page only lists pc or idevice compatibility with the PHA-2 as a DAC over USB

Just hold on a sec, the PHA-2 only works with OTGs that have the asynchronous protocol in it, namely, xperia Z2 onwards, it doesn't even works on the Z Ultra nor Z1 at the moment. Z2 however, as I have it with me, turns out to be one of the best experiences in audio that I've had, highly recommended.

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #5,981 of 7,711
The only thing that I found is that aparently is more software related than hardware related on XDA, so the thing is to import new features from newer devices like the z2 to older devices. I had to sell my xperia ultra for that same reason... which in all honestly, wasn't that bad because the z2 feels better and more fit for a phone.

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #5,982 of 7,711
Dear all,

First, thanks a lot for this forum which is a goldmine for a beginner like me! I have been reading a lot your posts and thanks to you decided to pull the trigger on the ZX1.

I am now in Hongkong for some days and noticed that the PHA-2's price has dropped and is now affordable.

Could you please let me know if there are some advantages to use the ZX1 together with the PHA-2. I heard ZX1 had some issues driving some earphones. I have the shure 535 as earphones.

By the way are ther on the forum people with ZX1+535 configuration? Any feedback

Thanks a lot!

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #5,983 of 7,711
Dear all,

First, thanks a lot for this forum which is a goldmine for a beginner like me! I have been reading a lot your posts and thanks to you decided to pull the trigger on the ZX1.

I am now in Hongkong for some days and noticed that the PHA-2's price has dropped and is now affordable.

Could you please let me know if there are some advantages to use the ZX1 together with the PHA-2. I heard ZX1 had some issues driving some earphones. I have the shure 535 as earphones.

By the way are ther on the forum people with ZX1+535 configuration? Any feedback

Thanks a lot!

If you can afford it, go for the combo. The PHA-2 just adds almost a 3D effect to the Sony. Even for earphones that don't need much to drive, the PHA-2 just adds a nice boost quality. I was completely satisfied with just the ZX1, but after hearing it with the PHA-2, I can't see using it without it, at least in most cases. The PHA-2 does seem to run out of power before the end of the day when I use it at work, so there are times...
The ZX1 is a bit underpowered, but that should not impact on 95% of earphones, and most headphones. The PHA-2 does allow  you to use just about anything.
The 535 should sound fine either way, but even better with the PHA-2.

Good luck.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #5,985 of 7,711
If you can afford it, go for the combo. The PHA-2 just adds almost a 3D effect to the Sony. Even for earphones that don't need much to drive, the PHA-2 just adds a nice boost quality. I was completely satisfied with just the ZX1, but after hearing it with the PHA-2, I can't see using it without it, at least in most cases. The PHA-2 does seem to run out of power before the end of the day when I use it at work, so there are times...
The ZX1 is a bit underpowered, but that should not impact on 95% of earphones, and most headphones. The PHA-2 does allow  you to use just about anything.
The 535 should sound fine either way, but even better with the PHA-2.

Good luck.

Quick Q: have you tried using PHA2 with the Zx1 to stream DSD from a NAS - am wondering if it will stream and play the DSD natively. That is without the on the fly down sampling to PCM which zx1 does in order to play DSD files. Thanks! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back