Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jul 25, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #6,001 of 7,711
Hi, has anybody compared the EU ZX1 with an EU A867? Do they have the same output volume or is the ZX1 worse?
And how about the display readability in daylight and sunlight? Most of the past Walkman where simply useless in that case - which is a shame! My old Vaio pocket was readable without problems.

I find it useless in direct sunlight unfortunately.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #6,003 of 7,711
I don't have a problem when wearing polarised sunglasses...
wink_face.gif

Jul 26, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #6,004 of 7,711
FWIW the WMC-NWH10 digital cable is NOT backwards compatible with the older Z and X series players...

No using the PHA2 with them I'm afraid...

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #6,006 of 7,711
There's no point using large DSD files on a device that will automatically convert them into PCM , 24/192 hi-res should be good enough for most portable devices out there unless you have very high end cans such as Abyss or Stax with an audiophile setup of over $5000 , DSD won't really shine on portable rigs with iem

Can't agree more and I really don't see the point of DSD support for players like AK120 or 240. I highly doubt anyone even with the most sensitive ear to hear the difference between DSD and 24 bit audio. And there's also the other issue of availability as SACD is really limited in genre. So unless you listen to a lot of jazz and classical, and even so, I still stand by the fact that you won't hear any difference with any high quality IEMs. 

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #6,007 of 7,711
If you can afford it, go for the combo. The PHA-2 just adds almost a 3D effect to the Sony. Even for earphones that don't need much to drive, the PHA-2 just adds a nice boost quality. I was completely satisfied with just the ZX1, but after hearing it with the PHA-2, I can't see using it without it, at least in most cases. The PHA-2 does seem to run out of power before the end of the day when I use it at work, so there are times...
The ZX1 is a bit underpowered, but that should not impact on 95% of earphones, and most headphones. The PHA-2 does allow  you to use just about anything.
The 535 should sound fine either way, but even better with the PHA-2.

Good luck.

Thanks Warrior 1975 and Carlsan for the pieces of advice. I am now back from HK with the equipment.

i hesitated a lot before buying the PHA-2 but i do now think this is a no-brainer. The stock player is already very good but for me the differences with or without the PHA-2 are not subtle. The amp does bring life to the music and remove the bit of aggressiveness that the ZX1 sometimes has. I could not imagine listening music without this combo now!

I am just very happy .

Just one concern though it seems that the ZX1 runs out of battery quite fast using the Amp. According to your experience, How much should a normal charge last for the teo devices?

Thanks!

Jul 28, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #6,008 of 7,711
I lost the spacer (that goes between the ZX1 and the amp to account for the odd shape).  I recognize that I could put anything at all in between to make up for the gap, but I'd really like the spacer.  Anybody know where to find one?  

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #6,012 of 7,711
Thanks Warrior 1975 and Carlsan for the pieces of advice. I am now back from HK with the equipment.

i hesitated a lot before buying the PHA-2 but i do now think this is a no-brainer. The stock player is already very good but for me the differences with or without the PHA-2 are not subtle. The amp does bring life to the music and remove the bit of aggressiveness that the ZX1 sometimes has. I could not imagine listening music without this combo now!

I am just very happy .

Just one concern though it seems that the ZX1 runs out of battery quite fast using the Amp. According to your experience, How much should a normal charge last for the teo devices?

Thanks!

Yes, the batt does run out quite fast not only for the zx1 but also the pha2 if u use the digital connection. From my own exp it averages at approx 5 hours for both the zx1 and pha2. If you use the analogue connection it lasts very much longer.

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #6,013 of 7,711
Yes, the batt does run out quite fast not only for the zx1 but also the pha2 if u use the digital connection. From my own exp it averages at approx 5 hours for both the zx1 and pha2. If you use the analogue connection it lasts very much longer.

Hi Delrosa81,
Thanks!
I am relieved! This is also what i experienced so far. Roughly 5 hours with the HI-RES connection.
By analog, you mean jack to jack cable right? I will try tonight. Do you hear any significant difference in term of SQ?

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #6,015 of 7,711
Hi Delrosa81,
Thanks!
I am relieved! This is also what i experienced so far. Roughly 5 hours with the HI-RES connection.
By analog, you mean jack to jack cable right? I will try tonight. Do you hear any significant difference in term of SQ?

You are most welcome Planemaker, yeah seriously I find the batt life too short, the batt guage on the ZX-1 drops very fast while digitally connected to the PHA2. Yes analogue means connecting via the 3.5mm jack to jack. I haven tried using analogue connection with the PHA2 yet so I wont be able to tell. Do share your tots once you have tested ya :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back