Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jul 29, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #6,016 of 7,711
Though if you were using 3.5mm to connect there are tons of other amps to consider. I thought the reason for digital to PHA-2 is so that we get DSD native playback?

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #6,017 of 7,711
Hi Delrosa81,
Thanks!
I am relieved! This is also what i experienced so far. Roughly 5 hours with the HI-RES connection.
By analog, you mean jack to jack cable right? I will try tonight. Do you hear any significant difference in term of SQ?

I'm considering getting my hand on the PHA2 but the battery life worry me.  You can always use the USB charger to keep the battery full on the PHA-2, but we are are out of luck on the ZX1.  Shame that Sony has to put the WM-Port on everything.  I wish I can charge the ZX1 while using its USB digital output.

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #6,018 of 7,711
  I'm considering getting my hand on the PHA2 but the battery life worry me.  You can always use the USB charger to keep the battery full on the PHA-2, but we are are out of luck on the ZX1.  Shame that Sony has to put the WM-Port on everything.  I wish I can charge the ZX1 while using its USB digital output.

Actually FYI, not only does the ZX-1 cannot be charged while in use, the PHA2 cannot be used while it is charging as well.

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #6,020 of 7,711

Actually FYI, not only does the ZX-1 cannot be charged while in use, the PHA2 cannot be used while it is charging as well.

Wow...that is a let down that's for sure.  I'm pretty satisfied with the ZX-1 but I don't mind adding the PHA2 if it can elevate the overall sound quality by just 20%.  Can anyone quantify the improvements?  Thanks.

Jul 29, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #6,021 of 7,711
I'll be getting my ZX1 back from Shigzeo but I'm sure I can use the ZX1 whilst charging. Just disable/stop USB mode. It'll rescan but music player will pop back up.

Dunno about PHA-2, will take your word for it.

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #6,022 of 7,711
  Wow...that is a let down that's for sure.  I'm pretty satisfied with the ZX-1 but I don't mind adding the PHA2 if it can elevate the overall sound quality by just 20%.  Can anyone quantify the improvements?  Thanks.

I'm an amateur so I cannot really describe the improvements, especially in terms of quantifying the improvements. But what I can share is that, it improvements the way the sound is produced in your IEMs, the music is more dynamic and punchier by abit which I think justifies the money spent. Are you able to audition the zx-1 with the pha-2 amp before buying?

I'll be getting my ZX1 back from Shigzeo but I'm sure I can use the ZX1 whilst charging. Just disable/stop USB mode. It'll rescan but music player will pop back up.

Dunno about PHA-2, will take your word for it.

What I actually meant was, if the ZX-1 is digitally connected via the WM port to the PHA-2, you cannot charge it in this mode as the WM port is being used. If you used the ZX-1 alone, you can charge and use it at the same time, no problem on that.

As for the PHA-2, if you plug in the charger, if the amp is switched on, it will not charge, the charging light will not come on till you switch the amp off then the amp will charge and the charging light will come on.

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #6,023 of 7,711

I'd say the improvement is easily around 20%.  The main things for me are the soundstage seems to be larger, a bit more body to the sound and the PHA-2 also seems to make everything sound smoother than it already is. 

As much as I love the PHA-2 I am now selling mine, my portable listening needs have changed a bit the last couple of months and no longer need the DAC and AMP of the PHA-2.  Will probably regret it in a few months but hey-ho that's the world of portable audio!!

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #6,025 of 7,711

I'd say the improvement is easily around 20%.  The main things for me are the soundstage seems to be larger, a bit more body to the sound and the PHA-2 also seems to make everything sound smoother than it already is. 

As much as I love the PHA-2 I am now selling mine, my portable listening needs have changed a bit the last couple of months and no longer need the DAC and AMP of the PHA-2.  Will probably regret it in a few months but hey-ho that's the world of portable audio!!

Thanks.  If it is around 20% then it maybe a worth while purchase for me.  I already have the Pico Power but I would prefer a total DAC/Amp combo.  However, the battery life issues is a real shame.   Wish it considerably better.
I looked but to no avail... Sorry.

You can use zx1 while charging.

I meant when you connect using its digital output via WM Port.  

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #6,026 of 7,711
The battery power of the pha2 is not too bad when not using hi-res DAC. Around 12 hours maybe a bit more.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #6,027 of 7,711
The battery power of the pha2 is not too bad when not using hi-res DAC. Around 12 hours maybe a bit more.

I'm concern with the battery on the ZX when connect digitally with the PHA2.  From my experience I couldn't get more than 4-5 hours when using a digital out from the ZX1 to my DAC.

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #6,028 of 7,711
I'm concern with the battery on the ZX when connect digitally with the PHA2.  From my experience I couldn't get more than 4-5 hours when using a digital out from the ZX1 to my DAC.

I've had around 7-8 hours when using the zx1 with the pha2 DAC.

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #6,029 of 7,711
Thanks.  If it is around 20% then it maybe a worth while purchase for me.  I already have the Pico Power but I would prefer a total DAC/Amp combo.  However, the battery life issues is a real shame.   Wish it considerably better.
I meant when you connect using its digital output via WM Port.

Sorry, I should have realized that. I'm with Purk, 5-6 hours with pha2 for me as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back