Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jan 15, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #3,242 of 7,711
Same, I usually run all my android devices with custom roms and @ minimum root (like the DX100)....but I don't see a purpose yet on the Sony Walkmans (I passed on the Z1070 also).  Doesn't seem like there is any benefit except to freeze some small resource hogs via titanium and the ZX-1's pedigree is certainly fast enough to handle those small extras...proven by everyone here's feedback as well.

Great news on the DLNA streaming purk, that is a huge plus for me too!  Be awesome to have access to my library that's shared via DLNA/NFS on my network.
The benefit for me is to see if I can mount an external storage. I've not frozen any daemons yet.

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #3,243 of 7,711
The benefit for me is to see if I can mount an external storage. I've not frozen any daemons yet.

Yeah when you freeze a daemon you better smash it quick before it breaks out and brings you down to hell.

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #3,245 of 7,711

I still have one of the two EH1's I used to have, and still two RH1's out of three... I can't get myself to sell the EH1, as it is now extremely rare and has this year the 10th anniversary of its release; the RH1's, well, I shall keep one for uploads I think.

MD had even more bling than ZX1 in its time: Qualia 017!

Wow, keep them, you will only regret it like I did. I got of the MD bandwagon just as the HI-MD format came out and went onto the HDD Walkmans (the HD3 & HD5's) 
We are not there yet but at least Sony are now remembering their roots in design philosophy again and the ZX1 is not there on par with the E10 or Qualia 017 but can be safely put in the same hall of fame when we look back in the next couple of years.
My personal little fetish dream was to have Sony to my old MZ- E10 again and just dump the flash memory inside instead and put a touchscreen on the front which was the lid. Plus bring back the in line remote controls for them!!  (That would be a killer Walkman)
For now I drool over my ZX1 until then.
I've had that same kind of fantasy, an EH1 with large flash memory, better amp and keep using the nifty cabled remote control. The 40ELK was great for navigation on Hi-MD, so for large capacity a search function and special scrolling options on the scroll-wheel would be necessary, but that would be all I'd need. Not even a touch-screen. I love the minimalistic approach of the display-less MD players. Ah, the brushed magnesium...

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #3,246 of 7,711
If I was doing something other than the music player I would definitely consider rooting it but I don't see the need for me to root it. It runs great stock for me. 

It's been a few weeks since I got the ZX1 and still loving it. Actually I've barely turned the X3 on in that time period and it's now in my drawer just sitting there as a dust magnet. I don't miss using it at all and the ZX1 plays nice with everything I've tried it with. My JH13, V6 Stage, UERM, UM Mentor and Fischer Amps FA-4 all sound excellent off it and it covers and good variety of signatures. I love the buttons and that I change the song without turning the screen on. It would be nice if the volume and the next, previous, play/pause buttons were in different areas but the different sized buttons makes it easy to distinguish the two.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #3,247 of 7,711
It amazes me how many people have discovered the need for side buttons. Since I've owned Cowons in the past I can never go back to the sideless option, in fact if the player lacks those side buttons I move along..

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #3,249 of 7,711
  Found the instructions to root ZX1 and followed it successfully. The next step is to get rid of the bloatware I don't need (although I must admit that Sony didn't really give you much of those).

Let me know how you go with the USB Mass Storage driver. I can' seem to get it going or recognising Samsung Galaxy J with an OTG cable + WMP-NWM10 (I can however get the Samsung Galaxy J recognising the ZX1's memory but that's not useful for what I want to do). I don't have a USB drive so the Samsung will have to do for now. I'm aware it's not FAT32 or exFAT.

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #3,250 of 7,711
  Found the instructions to root ZX1 and followed it successfully. The next step is to get rid of the bloatware I don't need (although I must admit that Sony didn't really give you much of those).

Please provide the link?

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #3,252 of 7,711
  Please provide the link?

http://cubeundcube.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/sony-walkman-nw-zx1root.html?spref=tw

Basically download the rootkit, and run the install.bat file while connected to your ZX1. But before doing that you need to turn on USB Debugging on your player and install the Android SDK. After installation, add the sdk\platform-tools and sdk\tools folder to your system path environment variable so that you can use the adb command in the install.bat script.

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #3,253 of 7,711

Let me know how you go with the USB Mass Storage driver. I can' seem to get it going or recognising Samsung Galaxy J with an OTG cable + WMP-NWM10 (I can however get the Samsung Galaxy J recognising the ZX1's memory but that's not useful for what I want to do). I don't have a USB drive so the Samsung will have to do for now. I'm aware it's not FAT32 or exFAT.

I would love to try that too however I don't have either WMP-NWM10 or an OTG cable. Having come from X1050 (16G) I probably won't run into storage problem for a while.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #3,254 of 7,711
  http://cubeundcube.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/sony-walkman-nw-zx1root.html?spref=tw

Basically download the rootkit, and run the install.bat file while connected to your ZX1. But before doing that you need to turn on USB Debugging on your player and install the Android SDK. After installation, add the sdk\platform-tools and sdk\tools folder to your system path environment variable so that you can use the adb command in the install.bat script.

Thank you.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #3,255 of 7,711
For the chaps in singapore who have been awaiting news of the release, you may find this of interest:
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/m/tech-news-sony-announces-walkman-nwz-zx1-and-liner-pcm-recorder-pcm-d100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back