Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 10, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #1,546 of 7,711
I've put my ZX1 through probably close to 20 hrs burn in and I think I'm ready to sell my AK120. The ZX1 seemed to have opened up in the the mids and highs more. It's not as warm as when I first had it. Listening to the Tumbao De Tamorito track from Open Your Ears album the space just opens up more & gives a more front row presentation whilst the AK120 is probably just a few rows behind.

With my MH335DW the bass seems a little more comparable between the two though which was different from my earlier findings (at least with the Open Your Ears album). I may try different tracks .

So anyone up for an AK120, ping me :D.

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #1,547 of 7,711
  I've put my ZX1 through probably close to 20 hrs burn in and I think I'm ready to sell my AK120. The ZX1 seemed to have opened up in the the mids and highs more. It's not as warm as when I first had it. Listening to the Tumbao De Tamorito track from Open Your Ears album the space just opens up more & gives a more front row presentation whilst the AK120 is probably just a few rows behind.

With my MH335DW the bass seems a little more comparable between the two though which was different from my earlier findings (at least with the Open Your Ears album). I may try different tracks .

Thanks for your impression.  This is a great great news.

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #1,548 of 7,711

Wow, that's surprising. :-O

If only I had the money for the ZX1...

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #1,549 of 7,711

sell ak120 because want buy zx1, oh my god,

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #1,550 of 7,711
One thing to note though (now that it's opened up somewhat and who knows what a longer burn in will or will not do), but I'm having this gut feeling that bright cans may not necessarily benefit from it. e.g. if I use my Ocharaku Kaedes, I think I enjoy it less with the ZX1 as with HM-901. However something like the MH335DW it seems to suit the ZX1 at the moment. No idea how the MH335DW will sound with the ZX1 after the Studio Reference mod.

Edit: About the ZX1 vs AK120 I'm sure when some of you start receiving the ZX1 would be saying "what is AnakChan talking about!?" so bear in mind some may still prefer the AK120 to the ZX1. For me, the two are just too close to justify owning one that's $450-$500 more expensive.

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #1,551 of 7,711

This is a really high praise for the ZX1...If you are willing to replace the AK120.

It seems that, I made the right decision coming from the AK100, asked my Japanese friend to help me buy both the ZX1 and PHA-2 at once and send it over... I am eagerly waiting to listen some 24/96 or 24/192 albums together with the Sony XBA H3... wishing for some magic to happen with Sony Hi-Res Portable Combo :).

Cheers
SimonT

p.s. Damn... I am going bankrupt because of Sony.... :p

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #1,552 of 7,711
  One thing to note though (now that it's opened up somewhat and who knows what a longer burn in will or will not do), but I'm having this gut feeling that bright cans may not necessarily benefit from it. e.g. if I use my Ocharaku Kaedes, I think I enjoy it less with the ZX1 as with HM-901. However something like the MH335DW it seems to suit the ZX1 at the moment. No idea how the MH335DW will sound with the ZX1 after the Studio Reference mod.

Edit: About the ZX1 vs AK120 I'm sure when some of you start receiving the ZX1 would be saying "what is AnakChan talking about!?" so bear in mind some may still prefer the AK120 to the ZX1. For me, the two are just too close to justify owning one that's $450-$500 more expensive.

Plus the ZX1 is a fully functional Andriod mini-tablet.  Given Sony's track record, this isn't surprising.  

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #1,553 of 7,711
How is the volume control? Are steps fine enough for high sensitivity CIEM s?

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #1,554 of 7,711
How is the volume control? Are steps fine enough for high sensitivity CIEM s?

That's a good question. It's not as granular as the AK120 but it also doesn't pump out that much so for the 335DW, Kaedes, & 1Plus2 so far it's been fine for me. Then again for the AK120, I didn't really dial in 0.5 steps but usually in 1 or 1.5/2 steps.

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #1,558 of 7,711

Wow...sounds very promising.   Mine arrived at EMS Singapore office.   Hope to get it soon. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #1,559 of 7,711
Wow...sounds very promising.   Mine arrived at EMS Singapore office.   Hope to get it soon. 
You're lucky. I'm just at the Ginza store & it's sold out till 2014.

I just checked e-earphone & Fujiya & same story. Only luck is to try the big departmental stores like Bic or Yodobashi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back