Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Nov 17, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #1,067 of 7,711
Guys let's be serious, of course there is no FM radio...this is a high end DAP, not a gadget from the 90s...why not ask for a barometer while you're at it.

I was actually after a tape measure, that's what I thought the bulge on the bottom was for.

Interesting !! somehow i am not surprised research and making as much money as possible go hand in hand 

Always been the way.  Very good sensible business ethics if your on the board of directors.  Not great if your a long life hobbyist who has to keep shelling out for the drip feed evolution of technological innovations. Yet we come back for more...

Wow...  what a great thread read this was.

Went from the woes of Digitalfreak's experiences with the DX-50 to the hints and tidbit demos of the ZX-1.  While I feel for Digitalfreak and the horrid UI experiences he was having, the ZX-1 news makes me optimistic for digital players and HD audio in general in the coming months.

Welcome back Sony... big time !

They have been AWOL for quite some time, but hopefully they turned the tide of having the wrong person at the helm for a few years on top of double dip recession.  If the Chinese could pick their game up on the ergonomics, software & battery stamina it may of been different a few months ago or if AK slashed the price of the 120 in two would be more like it, but I like to think it was a fate thing as hopefully patience has been a virtue with this overdue proper go at high end dap from Sony.  

thank god for that. such a nonsense feature.

Sent from my Nexus 4

How will I get Graham Norton on R2 on Saturday mornings then? 
(or my local pirate rave station??!)

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #1,068 of 7,711
I know it still may be a bit early but has anyone seen a photo of the official Sony case for the ZX1 or a third party attempt (apart from the very expensive one advertised on Sony Japan) mentioned by any company yet?  

I see that photo of the Sony design team had a slevee type slip case they was inserting the ZX1 into but am guessing for the price this may be a supplied case with the Walkman and there still be a separate leather normal flip over case sold on it's own.  

Also still eagerly awaiting announcement of a dedicated new charge/ sync cradle with a high quality finish to compliment the ZX1. 

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #1,069 of 7,711

Nah, they will have accomplished 128gb on MicroSD in a Sandisk lab long ago. They just haven't released it to market yet.

The issue is not so much one of 'squeezing it on to a small card' - the etched silicon is already inherently small. It's more an issue of

1) achieving reliable yield during mass-manufacturing

2) market forces / profiteering. They want to squeeze as much profit as possible from each capacity size before they release the next one. It keeps the market price and demand artificially high.

In the memory and CPU industry, the labs always have the product completed substantially before it ever gets to market. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the labs are already working on squeezing a couple of terrabytes onto a MicroSD card.

If they would release these (128gb) cards now, the X5 would step up and crush the Sony ZX-1 for memory capacity.

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #1,070 of 7,711

If they would release these (128gb) cards now, the X5 would step up and crush the Sony ZX-1 for memory capacity.

Of course, many players will crush the Sony on the memory department.  However, none will equal the Sony ZX1 in term of the "over all package" as well as a bug-free UI.  128GB is very decent IMO.

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #1,071 of 7,711
I cannot stress enough how useful it is to have a large size internal storage capacity as compared to those external memory cards. While it is true that external memory card allows 'infinite' storage capacity through card swapping, one has to take into account the amount of time spent on card scanning each time you power it up.

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #1,073 of 7,711
  Of course, many players will crush the Sony on the memory department.  However, none will equal the Sony ZX1 in term of the "over all package" as well as a bug-free UI.  128GB is very decent IMO.

I don't know, the money Sony is asking is very steep. The images I've seen, it looks like changing the battery is going to be very difficult unless you damage the unit. If this is true then I will get the X5 for sure. The UI will be quite good on the X5 I think, from what I've read fiio has put a great deal of effort here.
I cannot stress enough how useful it is to have a large size internal storage capacity as compared to those external memory cards. While it is true that external memory card allows 'infinite' storage capacity through card swapping, one has to take into account the amount of time spent on card scanning each time you power it up.

So your saying that this scanning of internal memory is not required, please explain.

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #1,076 of 7,711

I don't know, the money Sony is asking is very steep. The images I've seen, it looks like changing the battery is going to be very difficult unless you damage the unit. If this is true then I will get the X5 for sure. The UI will be quite good on the X5 I think, from what I've read fiio has put a great deal of effort here.

So your saying that this scanning of internal memory is not required, please explain.

You're not supposed to change the battery yourself in the ZX1, Or are you saying that the design of the ZX1 makes it difficult for the tech repair to replace the battery? By the way the X5 isn't out yet. Has anyone actually managed to play with one of these? Although the ZX1 isn't released, the demo has been out in the Sony showroom in Japan for about 6 weeks now and can somewhat be compared with current available DAPs. I've not heard about the demo-ing of the X5 therefore I'm personally not so quick to judge on its capability purely based on internet speculation.

About the scanning thing uelover mentioned, it's about scanning through all the playable tracks and building up an index that can be sorted via Album, Artists, Genre, etc. On some DAP implementations it's automatic-scanning whenever the operating system detects a change (boot/reboot, memory card mount, etc.). Something like the DX100 it's automatic-only whilst other DAPs like the iRiver AK-series it can be automatic or manual.

The one thing I may disagree with uelover though is that I think even internal memory requires scanning too upon boot-up; assuming the ZX1 behaves like the DX100 being Android & all.

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #1,078 of 7,711

You're not supposed to change the battery yourself in the ZX1, Or are you saying that the design of the ZX1 makes it difficult for the tech repair to replace the battery? By the way the X5 isn't out yet. Has anyone actually managed to play with one of these? Although the ZX1 isn't released, the demo has been out in the Sony showroom in Japan for about 6 weeks now and can somewhat be compared with current available DAPs. I've not heard about the demo-ing of the X5 therefore I'm personally not so quick to judge on its capability purely based on internet speculation.

About the scanning thing uelover mentioned, it's about scanning through all the playable tracks and building up an index that can be sorted via Album, Artists, Genre, etc. On some DAP implementations it's automatic-scanning whenever the operating system detects a change (boot/reboot, memory card mount, etc.). Something like the DX100 it's automatic-only whilst other DAPs like the iRiver AK-series it can be automatic or manual.

The one thing I may disagree with uelover though is that I think even internal memory requires scanning too upon boot-up; assuming the ZX1 behaves like the DX100 being Android & all.

Yes I'm saying changing the battery myself will be difficult, that is, you are forced to send it back to Sony. They will charge a fortune for this.
Regards the scanning I thought it made no difference if you had internal memory or not, scanning was required either way.

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #1,079 of 7,711

"over all package", indeed yes.

I have been so unsatisfied with what the Chinese are providing/offering in terms of Audiophile daps (SQ ok,others esp. UI fail miserably).

Yes I want good sound, but after using a dap with excellent SQ, and full of unnecessary bugs that should have been ironed from the beginning, all the love and enjoyment fades away.

​Sony Walkmans are by no means perfect, but they provide the best package as whole.

The ZX1 is what I have been emailing and sending letters to Sony to make (I even provided them with links to here and many other Forums), and I think their "Stubborn" mentality is easing a bit.

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #1,080 of 7,711

Yes, you are right, it requires scanning, but even on my old slow Z-1070 it only takes about 15 seconds, max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back