Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Feb 18, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #3,766 of 7,711
  Not directly, but I feel that the DX100 may have a slight edge in the sound quality using my JH13pro.  I believe the DX100 has better soundstage depth and the bass notes are rendered with more fluidity.  Still I take the ZX1 over the DX100 any day of the week.  The DX100 was horrid in term of UI despite having reference sound quality.  This is my 2 cents and it has been several months since I sold off my DX100.

Thank you for your reply.
Is the DX100 that bad in regard to the UI?
And in driving IEMs, is there a big difference between the amp of the DX100 and the ZX1?

Cheers!

Feb 18, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #3,767 of 7,711

Thank you for your reply.
Is the DX100 that bad in regard to the UI?
And in driving IEMs, is there a big difference between the amp of the DX100 and the ZX1?

Cheers!

the DX100 have stronger amp compared to the zx1 , you can just install stuff like poweramp as an alternate ui with dx100, the only disadvantage is that it can't play high res files

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #3,769 of 7,711
I was all ready to get the z1 but had problems pre ordering it on the Sony UK website - has anyone else experienced this?

Now, having heard that it is not that much better than its little cousin I am wondering if the extra cash is worth it. My concern with the 886 is that I'd actually want the 887 (64gb really has to be a minimum I think). Now, the problem for me is that the 887 does not seem to be available in the UK? So my question is what is my best way to get it?

Thanks.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #3,770 of 7,711
Yes, you go through all the trouble of putting ZX1 in basket to pre-order on UK site only to be told to remove it because it's 'not in stock'. Aghhhh!!!!!!!!

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #3,772 of 7,711
I was all ready to get the z1 but had problems pre ordering it on the Sony UK website - has anyone else experienced this?

Now, having heard that it is not that much better than its little cousin I am wondering if the extra cash is worth it. My concern with the 886 is that I'd actually want the 887 (64gb really has to be a minimum I think). Now, the problem for me is that the 887 does not seem to be available in the UK? So my question is what is my best way to get it?

Thanks.

The 887 is a japan only model atm.  It is available on price japan for about the same price as the 886 is here (not including possible taxes of course).  They have confirmed it comes with an english menu option if that's any use.

Yes, you go through all the trouble of putting ZX1 in basket to pre-order on UK site only to be told to remove it because it's 'not in stock'. Aghhhh!!!!!!!!

It may be worth keeping an eye on amazon uk.  They had the 886 up for preorder a good while with about £30-£40 off the rrp.

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #3,774 of 7,711

I reckon announce in September, released Oct/Nov as per usual.

If the Japanese model, not so if EU model... 
wink_face.gif

Thanks. I Have 4 pairs of headphones at present. ( and I gave a pair to my friend. ) I can't buy anymore, as much as I'd like too !
smily_headphones1.gif

Know that feeling!  

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #3,775 of 7,711
Fortis, you know you would like some 846s..... or Sirens!

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #3,776 of 7,711
Many thanks to head-fi member davidcotton for:
'It may be worth keeping an eye on amazon uk. . . . . . . '
Good idea
happy_face1.gif
 Cheers mate.

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #3,777 of 7,711
How does the ZX1 perform against an iPod touch while driving IEMs straight from the headphone jack?
If both players are playing ALAC 16bit, is the ZX1 miles ahead in sound quality?

Cheers!

ZX1 has some really great bass slam. Bass is tight, melodic, tuneful where one can tell the differences between bass notes very easily. The Itouch individual bass notes is harder to define clearly and its get worst when the bass notes gets really low, it almost very hard to tell the diff at that point. The sound of Itouch is little on the thinner side in comparison and what it really lack is the attack. I don't see much of it while zx1's attack is pretty good. In general the Itouch will sound a little flat, pretty boring at times lacking some bass slam and attack.

To be fair, I am being very critical at this point where I listen to the same track over and over again to get that diff. I have also listen for hours on Itouch and then switch back to ZX1 on the same album. For most non-audiophile friends and relatives, they cannot tell the diff at all.. so if one is a causal listener then I would stay with Itouch. Its really good enough when not compared to zx1. For me, Once I know where the diff are, its hard for me to go back to itouch as I almost always notice it now even when I am not seriously listening to it.

To be able to say whether one is miles ahead really depends on the following example:

1) For causal listener, they cannot hear the differences even with an IEM like K3003 or Tralucent 1p2. (my partner is in this group)
2) For music lovers, they mention its only marginally better and at times, no differences at all (most of my friends is in here)
3) For audiophile perspective - there are differences but both is good enough
4) For very serious audiophile  - There is alot of differences here and Itouch is an unacceptable DAP without an amp. These group can tell the diff between difference grade of cables and connectors almost 99% of the time.
5) Extremist audiophile/purist - haha! this group will say, burn the Itouch for it cannot exist to waste people lives hearing absolute garbage. This group can tell the diff between different formats of codec, like FLAC is better than ALAC  and the differences between a 256 AAC and lossless is like day and night. They listen to test tones CDs and locomotive to test gears.. hahahaa..
6) supramundane audiophile: They say "I don't need to hear any of this and I already know the differences by its measurements and graph." They get a huge kick studying graph, harmonic distortion results, sine waves and by measuring tubes distortion, they already "hear" it all and no need to buy any...as they are able to form a mental image of the sound ....hahaha. (Ok I made all these group up :)

so  I think it really depends on individual perspective... and for the sake of fun, joy and laughter, may I ask which group do you belong to - LOL

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #3,778 of 7,711
How does the ZX1 perform against an iPod touch while driving IEMs straight from the headphone jack?
If both players are playing ALAC 16bit, is the ZX1 miles ahead in sound quality?

Cheers!

It's a great deal better. I loved my 5G Touch - it sounds better from the HP out than my 4G Touch plus a fancy LOD and amp - but the ZX1 is in a different league. It gets into M8/desktop amp territory with IEMs.

Feb 18, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #3,779 of 7,711

5) Extremist audiophile/purist - haha! this group will say, burn the Itouch for it cannot exist to waste people lives hearing absolute garbage. This group can tell the diff between different formats of codec, like FLAC is better than ALAC  and the differences between a 256 AAC and lossless is like day and night. They listen to test tones CDs and locomotive to test gears.. hahahaa..

that is almost spot on... but I'm a bit more extreme I search for highi's in silence, think of it as ear-candy for paint-drying watchers.

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #3,780 of 7,711

the DX100 have stronger amp compared to the zx1 , you can just install stuff like poweramp as an alternate ui with dx100, the only disadvantage is that it can't play high res files

Sorry? Maybe I misunderstood but what doesn't play hires files? AFAIK, both DX100 & ZX1 do play hires files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back