Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Feb 17, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #3,752 of 7,711
Oh blast! On stock Android merely placing the album art labeled AlbumArt.jpg/png in the directory works. Not here apparently, thanks Sony.
Am I limited to 'Poweramp' here in this regard?

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #3,753 of 7,711
  Question for you Android experts here. How do I get the ZX-1 to recognize the album art sitting in its own directory rather than have to embed each file with such.

Yep, the ZX1's Walkman app only recognises album art embedded on files. Not a real big deal for me as depending on the size of art embedded, as it only increases the size of an album by a megabyte or two.

For kicks I embedded some ridiculously high resolution artwork onto some FLACs, and the art was displayed without issue. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #3,754 of 7,711
  Oh blast! On stock Android merely placing the album art labeled AlbumArt.jpg/png in the directory works. Not here apparently, thanks Sony.
Am I limited to 'Poweramp' here in this regard?

Now-What... knows how to get album-art via  the Walkman, I think it's somewhere in this thread, if not just ask the question and Now-What will answer.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603440/sony-walkman-japanese-versions-help-for-dummies-thread/150#post_10273877

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #3,757 of 7,711
I have now compared a ZX1 (Japanese) and F886 (UK) with AKG K3003i IEMs. Wow, they really are similar but the big battle was getting the volumes equalised as the Japanese ZX1 goes quite a bit louder.

Honestly I was struggling to tell them apart and then I started convincing myself the ZX1 was better on one listen, and then wasn't so sure the second. I could not any difference with popular music, but thought I could hear slight differences with some acoustic jazz.

In conclusion I think there might be a slight edge to the ZX1, but we are dealing with the smallest of margins here. I think essentially you are paying for the beautiful styling and 128GB of storage.

I think it would probably be a bit foolish to upgrade from an F886 to a ZX1 with the rumours that a successor with SD expansion capability and DSD is in the works.....

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #3,758 of 7,711
  I have now compared a ZX1 (Japanese) and F886 (UK) with AKG K3003i IEMs. Wow, they really are similar but the big battle was getting the volumes equalised as the Japanese ZX1 goes quite a bit louder.

Honestly I was struggling to tell them apart and then I started convincing myself the ZX1 was better on one listen, and then wasn't so sure the second. I could not any difference with popular music, but thought I could hear slight differences with some acoustic jazz.

In conclusion I think there might be a slight edge to the ZX1, but we are dealing with the smallest of margins here. I think essentially you are paying for the beautiful styling and 128GB of storage.

I think it would probably be a bit foolish to upgrade from an F886 to a ZX1 with the rumours that a successor with SD expansion capability and DSD is in the works.....

I bought a Fiio E12 for my U.K. F886, and I'm now more than happy ! As much as I'd still love a ZX-1, I think it would be an unnecessary expense, especially at £549 !! ( Which I know is relatively cheap compared to AK dap's, e.t.c. )
At this point, I think I'd rather wait for the ZX-1's successor.

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #3,759 of 7,711
I have seen comments that it is a proprietary Sony chip, and nobody is absolutely sure because nobody has opened one up! Take your pick :) 

Thanks for the info.
Has anyone had the chance to compare the ZX1 to something like the DX100?
Straight out of the headphone jack, how does the zx1 hold up?
In regard to sound quality, sound stage, clarity, detail... The whole works... :)

Cheers!

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #3,760 of 7,711

Now-What... knows how to get album-art via  the Walkman, I think it's somewhere in this thread, if not just ask the question and Now-What will answer.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603440/sony-walkman-japanese-versions-help-for-dummies-thread/150#post_10273877

Thank you.

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #3,761 of 7,711

Always will be rumours especially with the sd card slot with Sony's as like Flac it may eventually see the light of day on a Sony with an SD slot. I can see DSD will have to be on the next model, but there will not be a ZX1 successor soon and will be at least another nine months imo at best before there is news of the next ZX1 incarnation so depends on how your patience is, I know I am not as patient is all I can say!  

Quote:

I bought a Fiio E12 for my U.K. F886, and I'm now more than happy ! As much as I'd still love a ZX-1, I think it would be an unnecessary expense, especially at £549 !! ( Which I know is relatively cheap compared to AK dap's, e.t.c. )
At this point, I think I'd rather wait for the ZX-1's successor.

Congrats on finally upgrading your Walkman!  Next stop earphones & heapdhones
wink_face.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #3,762 of 7,711
  Always will be rumours especially with the sd card slot with Sony's as like Flac it may eventually see the light of day on a Sony with an SD slot. I can see DSD will have to be on the next model, but there will not be a ZX1 successor soon and will be at least another nine months imo at best before there is news of the next ZX1 incarnation so depends on how your patience is, I know I am not as patient is all I can say!

I reckon announce in September, released Oct/Nov as per usual.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #3,765 of 7,711
Thanks for the info.
Has anyone had the chance to compare the ZX1 to something like the DX100?
Straight out of the headphone jack, how does the zx1 hold up?
In regard to sound quality, sound stage, clarity, detail... The whole works...
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

Not directly, but I feel that the DX100 may have a slight edge in the sound quality using my JH13pro.  I believe the DX100 has better soundstage depth and the bass notes are rendered with more fluidity.  Still I take the ZX1 over the DX100 any day of the week.  The DX100 was horrid in term of UI despite having reference sound quality.  This is my 2 cents and it has been several months since I sold off my DX100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back