SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Mar 21, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #3,781 of 7,541
  My older PC still runs Win XP SP3 and when I connect the player to it I can't access the data in the SD card although the computer does recognize the card. However, I don't have the same problem when trying to access the data in the built-in memory. It works fine when using a Win 7 PC though. Does anybody know if there's a workaround to this? 
confused_face_2.gif

Of course I have formatted the card, selected "SD Card" as the memory to use etc and it works fine in Win 7, but not in XP.
frown.gif

you select the storage that will show on the computer inside the walkman.
edit: ok that one's one me ^_^. I can't seem to be able to read a post.
did you try to connect using the usb connection option (bottom of common settings)?
else don't you have a card reader? transferring on a card reader is always so much faster than going through a DAP that I pretty much always use a card reader instead.

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #3,782 of 7,541
  My older PC still runs Win XP SP3 and when I connect the player to it I can't access the data in the SD card although the computer does recognize the card. However, I don't have the same problem when trying to access the data in the built-in memory. It works fine when using a Win 7 PC though. Does anybody know if there's a workaround to this? 
confused_face_2.gif

Of course I have formatted the card, selected "SD Card" as the memory to use etc and it works fine in Win 7, but not in XP.
frown.gif

Well XP is now obsolete in contart to w7 and windows 8 and now 10 TP... mostlikely your old pc doesn't support SDXC standard, try by downloading the latest driver from the manufacturer's website (the card reader manufacturer)

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #3,783 of 7,541
New to portable music gear so please pardon me if I didn't quite some of the things discussed on the forum...

I recently got the A15 and am pairing it with a pair of Shure 846:
1) Noted the weak amp section of the A15, and
2) The impedance mis-match with the 846.

I am going to add the Pico Slim to the equation. Ideally, would like to connect via LO. However, even with a modified/shorten WM-PORT, the connector still sticks out a fair bit, so now considering using HO instead.

1) Is there a particular volume setting that I need to set to ensure that enough gain in provided yet not creating any distortion?
2) When using HO, I notice that while very close to LO, there is some/slight kind of "fine-grain", "unclean" (sorry for the lack of proper terms) feel to the sound, is this something that can be tuned with LOD wire material?

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #3,784 of 7,541
  New to portable music gear so please pardon me if I didn't quite some of the things discussed on the forum...

I recently got the A15 and am pairing it with a pair of Shure 846:
1) Noted the weak amp section of the A15, and
2) The impedance mis-match with the 846.

I am going to add the Pico Slim to the equation. Ideally, would like to connect via LO. However, even with a modified/shorten WM-PORT, the connector still sticks out a fair bit, so now considering using HO instead.

1) Is there a particular volume setting that I need to set to ensure that enough gain in provided yet not creating any distortion?
2) When using HO, I notice that while very close to LO, there is some/slight kind of "fine-grain", "unclean" (sorry for the lack of proper terms) feel to the sound, is this something that can be tuned with LOD wire material?

the pico slim will clearly reduce the noise, and signature change due to impedance. also the volume setting will be more precise(one of the best amp I've had for volume setting).

for the LOD, the only real solution is to make one yourself or find somebody to do it for you. shorten the proprietary part and then make the cable go out on the side. can't relate to how durable that will be with the need to unplug it at least for each charge, but the space saved can be significant.  somebody posted a self modified plug like that, shaped with some sugru. don't know if the member and the jack are both still around, but it did look nice.

for the HO option, I would go for the usual, almost maxed out setting on the source. it's hard to suggest an ideal value on the top of my head, just try and if you ever feel like something might get distorted or clipped, lower the sony a little.(more chances you'd need to do that if you use some DSPs or boost some EQ). 
and then just adjust to desired loudness with the amp. that should lead to the best SNR and let you enjoy your small combo ^_^.

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #3,785 of 7,541
Cita:
  ist that the canyin amp c5, i want one but maazon don sends it to emxico, and cayin page doesn't show it anymore... it's discontinued?

Bro, can order it on ebay to bigbargainonline (penonaudio) for $165 dlls. They have very good reputation and very good after sales service. I bought a few things there and everything went well. There is flexibility in shipping and has 1 year warranty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cayin-C5-OPA134-LME49600-Portable-HIFI-Audio-Headphone-Amplifier-/121441629665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c467c35e1

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #3,786 of 7,541
Thanks a lot castleofargh and gerelmx1986 for your helpful replies! 

Quote:

did you try to connect using the usb connection option (bottom of common settings)?
else don't you have a card reader? transferring on a card reader is always so much faster than going through a DAP that I pretty much always use a card reader instead.

You are absolutely right, both options work! 
k701smile.gif

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #3,788 of 7,541
  did any body find that the sound of A-10 series is lean or thin sounding ?

In the sense that it isn't warm or weighty, then yes.

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #3,789 of 7,541

In the sense that it isn't warm or weighty, then yes.

thanks ... all in all i ordered it and planning to use the eq and clear bass options .... all what i am caring about is its treble ... as i used F806 before and that one had king of metallic and sharp treble which i didn't like ... hope that the new A series is different ..
does it benefit from burning in for its POSCAPs or what ? 

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #3,790 of 7,541
thanks ... all in all i ordered it and planning to use the eq and clear bass options .... all what i am caring about is its treble ... as i used F806 before and that one had king of metallic and sharp treble which i didn't like ... hope that the new A series is different ..

I think it also depends a lot on which headphones are being used....

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #3,791 of 7,541
  Cita:
  ist that the canyin amp c5, i want one but maazon don sends it to emxico, and cayin page doesn't show it anymore... it's discontinued?

Bro, can order it on ebay to bigbargainonline (penonaudio) for $165 dlls. They have very good reputation and very good after sales service. I bought a few things there and everything went well. There is flexibility in shipping and has 1 year warranty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cayin-C5-OPA134-LME49600-Portable-HIFI-Audio-Headphone-Amplifier-/121441629665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c467c35e1

Thank you Bro i will look at it, to see if it's neutral as it's cheaper than the Oppo HA-2

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #3,792 of 7,541

I think it also depends a lot on which headphones are being used....

What i've been telling him.... friday tried some colleague's Sony XB line headphones (extra Bass) to my surprise "extr bass" yes in quotes, no bass and the high's were so harsh, i could discern the harpsichord so clearly but in a war that seemed boosted too much.

Contrastong y MDR-1R havemore mellow, soft sounding trebble, main reason i switched Freiburger Barokorchester Tafelmusik (cembalo wasn't clear) with Musica Amphion, peter jan belder rendition of tafel musik

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #3,793 of 7,541
  did any body find that the sound of A-10 series is lean or thin sounding ?

That's the sound sig of all the new higher end Sony Walkmans. Only the Z sounds warm. I have the F887, Z1070 and a A16 coming my way. I wish they would bring other options with different sound sigs like they did previously. I still think the Z sounds the best.

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #3,794 of 7,541

the pico slim will clearly reduce the noise, and signature change due to impedance. also the volume setting will be more precise(one of the best amp I've had for volume setting).

for the LOD, the only real solution is to make one yourself or find somebody to do it for you. shorten the proprietary part and then make the cable go out on the side. can't relate to how durable that will be with the need to unplug it at least for each charge, but the space saved can be significant.  somebody posted a self modified plug like that, shaped with some sugru. don't know if the member and the jack are both still around, but it did look nice.

for the HO option, I would go for the usual, almost maxed out setting on the source. it's hard to suggest an ideal value on the top of my head, just try and if you ever feel like something might get distorted or clipped, lower the sony a little.(more chances you'd need to do that if you use some DSPs or boost some EQ). 
and then just adjust to desired loudness with the amp. that should lead to the best SNR and let you enjoy your small combo ^_^.

Thanks for the advice castleofargh. Having A/B between LO and HO for most part of the evening, I will most likely try to make a low-profile connector. The preference is definitely with LO as it sounds a lot cleaner. However, the back of my mind is wondering if the inter-connect for HO is getting more details (Fiio L5 vs L6)... Will try to have the LOD made with similar wire and test again. Cheers!

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #3,795 of 7,541
Anyone can recommend a small amp for the a10?

— Size wise, I would be happy if it would be similar or just a tag bigger than the a10.

- Treble boost & Surround could be nice, but not a must.

- Digital input could be nice as well, but not a must.

- Plan to use 40 ohm IEM so power shouldn't be an issue...

Right now I have the C&C BH2, nice, small, but would like cleaner sound, lower hiss & better resolution alternative.

Heard of the Pico Slim - though no boost at all nor any digital input. If anyone tried I would be happy to know how those pair....

Thanks,
G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back