SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Mar 21, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #3,766 of 7,541
Hi guys,

new to head-fi although reading a while already. Am a happy owner of a Sony NWZ-A17 as it was the best package for my needs (portability, expendable storage, usable UI)
I do not need superpowerful amp for full size 600Ohm-headphones. Currently using with Klipsch R6 (mobile) and ATH-M50x (at home)

Am about to upgrade the IEMs and have listened to a few here in Singapore. Due to the 4ohm output impedance MultiBAs are not on my list.

I might have awkward preferences but I was not impressed by the IE800 and the Dita the Answer.
I very much liked the AudioTechnica ATH-CKR9 (but not the CKR10) and the Final Audio Heaven V (and the IV a bit lesser) on my A17.

As you see, I do not tend to very analytical IEMs.

Came across the Aurisonics ASG-1Plus but unfortunately cannot test them anywhere. Anybody an idea whether that would be a nice match?

And maybe I should mention that I will never ever stack my DAP to a portable amp. Why should I buy a 66gram DAP for its portability if I then strap it to a brick which
I have to carry around? 

There's nothing wrong with having a multi BA for the A17 with exception of the SE846.

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #3,767 of 7,541
  Hi guys,

new to head-fi although reading a while already. Am a happy owner of a Sony NWZ-A17 as it was the best package for my needs (portability, expendable storage, usable UI)
I do not need superpowerful amp for full size 600Ohm-headphones. Currently using with Klipsch R6 (mobile) and ATH-M50x (at home)

Am about to upgrade the IEMs and have listened to a few here in Singapore. Due to the 4ohm output impedance MultiBAs are not on my list.

I might have awkward preferences but I was not impressed by the IE800 and the Dita the Answer.
I very much liked the AudioTechnica ATH-CKR9 (but not the CKR10) and the Final Audio Heaven V (and the IV a bit lesser) on my A17.

Came across the Aurisonics ASG-1Plus but unfortunately cannot test them anywhere. Anybody an idea whether that would be a nice match?

And maybe I should mention that I will never ever stack my DAP to a portable amp. Why should I buy a 66gram DAP for its portability if I then strap it to a brick which
I have to carry around? 

as said multi BA are not really forbidden, but you should certainly test them with the A17 before getting a pair, as the signature might change a good deal from the impedance output. so while it's bad on principle, on some occasions, you might actually prefer the IEM into the A17 compared to how it sounds out of a 0.5ohm amp(it's not very likely, but it does happen. I had the TG334 like that for me).
I don't know any of the IEMs you're talking about sorry. I only heard the ASG-1 (not the 1plus) and thought it was a huge crap. warm for sure but like not so great in the bass and really sucky elsewhere. maybe the 1plus changed that with the added driver? but my first experience got me kind of suspicious that the brand could do good stuff(the wonders of subjective unjustified bias ^_^).

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #3,769 of 7,541
Does anyone know how long it takes for the A10 to scan a Sandisk 128gb sd card (full) with 48MB/s?

It depends on how many songs you have inside. 5000 flac and 10000 mp3 gives different result.

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #3,771 of 7,541

so while it's bad on principle, on some occasions, you might actually prefer the IEM into the A17 compared to how it sounds out of a 0.5ohm amp(it's not very likely, but it does happen. I had the TG334 like that for me).

Hm, I heard the AudioTechnica ATH-IM03 might be one of these who pair nicely with higher output impedance?

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #3,772 of 7,541
Mar 21, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #3,775 of 7,541
  Does anyone know how long it takes for the A10 to scan a Sandisk 128gb sd card (full) with 48MB/s?

mine is 40MB/s so first time scan full took 6 minutes with the intrnal memory also full, after it's created just rescans in less than 3 seconds

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #3,777 of 7,541
  Hi guys,

I have to carry around? 

you can get a slimmer amp like the cayin c5 or the oppo ha-2

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #3,778 of 7,541

you can get a slimmer amp like the cayin c5 or the oppo ha-2

Or a pure amp with no DAC if you are happy with the DAC in the Sony. The E12 is good, as is the E11 so depending on what is needed to drive there are options without a DAC as well. I will be carrying around the PHA 3/A17 brick so which while less than ideal, most of the time I will make work.

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #3,779 of 7,541

mine is 40MB/s so first time scan full took 6 minutes with the intrnal memory also full, after it's created just rescans in less than 3 seconds

That's good. Because I don't have the patience to wait 6 minutes every time i turn it on. Btw i just brought the Japanese version but was wondering if the layout is just the same as teh international version so i can find the English version of the manual to change some of teh settings. 

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #3,780 of 7,541
My older PC still runs Win XP SP3 and when I connect the player to it I can't access the data in the SD card although the computer does recognize the card. However, I don't have the same problem when trying to access the data in the built-in memory. It works fine when using a Win 7 PC though. Does anybody know if there's a workaround to this? 
confused_face_2.gif

Of course I have formatted the card, selected "SD Card" as the memory to use etc and it works fine in Win 7, but not in XP.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back