Sony NW-ZX300
Sep 6, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #10,516 of 12,862
Does anyone still have the updater of FW2.01? Could you please upload it for me? I don't think its on the Sony site anymore. I just update to 2.02 version and I think I hear the difference in sound that I don't like. Thanks
Strange, I'm digging the subtle sound change. Brings the treble forward just a tad IMO. I could see how it could effect phones that are already treble forward

Sep 6, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #10,517 of 12,862

So does the zx300... so not sure why they suddenly feel they need to mention it?
Honestly? my guess is that they mention it suddenly because they didn't improve many things so they have to make extra points to sell you the upgrade. Heck, you could argue that android is a downgrade since it will definitely hit the battery life, and the zx300 UI is already great/perfect for many folks. I remember them mentioning "no wifi because interference and noise levels", "no android because battery life", "sony's UI because ease of use"... wondering what happened to that, haha. It might be my cynicism talking but imho most of sony's claims sound like snake oil nowadays, hah (not only in their audio disivion). If it sounds better than the zx300 great, but all the marketing talk in the world is just that, give me proof and my wallet might bleed again, lol.

Sep 6, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #10,518 of 12,862
[...] haha. It might be my cynicism talking but imho most of sony's claims sound like snake oil nowadays, hah [...]

What, are you trying to insinuate the gold plated volume knob of the DMP-Z1 does not double the sound quality?! Get outta here!

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #10,520 of 12,862
Honestly? my guess is that they mention it suddenly because they didn't improve many things so they have to make extra points to sell you the upgrade. Heck, you could argue that android is a downgrade since it will definitely hit the battery life, and the zx300 UI is already great/perfect for many folks. I remember them mentioning "no wifi because interference and noise levels", "no android because battery life", "sony's UI because ease of use"... wondering what happened to that, haha. It might be my cynicism talking but imho most of sony's claims sound like snake oil nowadays, hah (not only in their audio disivion). If it sounds better than the zx300 great, but all the marketing talk in the world is just that, give me proof and my wallet might bleed again, lol.
Yep, all the things I use to upsell it to myself, then justify my purchase.
It is interesting how we are wowed by specs - some valid, others snake-oil.

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #10,522 of 12,862
Does AVLS (Volume Limit) effect sound quality ?
Not really .. as it says .. volume limit.. thats all it does.. some people may feel that a bit of dynamism is lost but its placebo :D

Sep 7, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #10,524 of 12,862
Losing stuff is on you - you can stick it to your cable (it has clip guides) if you want.

The supplied guides are either too tight or too loose for balanced.

I don't see how pairing is tedious, especially if you've already paired it in the past. You turn it on and it connects.
like most bluetooth crap sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Sep 7, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #10,525 of 12,862
In the old days we would probably use the provided earphones with the remote

Not me. From the early days (early '90s)I used to use stuff like D55 eggphones, Sony's high end DJ Headphones in the '90s (can't temember the designation, the ones that kid had in the Bomb Funk MCs video) and then MDR-EX700 IEMs from 2009 in my MD/Hi-MD and CD walkman units. They all plugged directly into the remote. The DJ stuff used it's own 3.5mm adaptor. You must be young.

now we have so much choice to find styles, designs and signatures that suit our needs.

There's more choice now but there were great choices then too.

Imagine if you had to plug your earphones in to an adapter cable with an in-line remote

I like I said I used to regularly do this. I even had/have mini adaptors for Sony's proprietry mini plug from the '90s.

Also, a built in remote would require each input on the device to have that extra input slot for the remote chip board.

just like old walkmans used to have.

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #10,528 of 12,862
geez, guess you didn't grow up in the mix tape age
Truth! It was a real shore to create a mix tape or in my case mix MD disc while going on vacation. I still have those inline remote controller for MD, Discmen, and cassette Walkman.

Sep 7, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #10,529 of 12,862
Not me. From the early days (early '90s)I used to use stuff like D55 eggphones, Sony's high end DJ Headphones in the '90s (can't temember the designation, the ones that kid had in the Bomb Funk MCs video) and then MDR-EX700 IEMs from 2009 in my MD/Hi-MD and CD walkman units. They all plugged directly into the remote. The DJ stuff used it's own 3.5mm adaptor. You must be young.

There's more choice now but there were great choices then too.

I like I said I used to regularly do this. I even had/have mini adaptors for Sony's proprietry mini plug from the '90s.

just like old walkmans used to have.
Nah, I was there for the birth of the walkman, discman and minidisc - I was just saying a majority of owners of these devices all those years ago (pre-2000) would have used the bundled earbuds (with the remote) and that these days I feel people would want to keep the cable free of an adapter with a built-in remote with lcd screen hanging off it, I might be wrong.
Please don't think I wasn't knocking you saying an in-line remote had it's benefits I was just saying that times have changed, just like Sony has changed direction and added streaming, android to the new ZX500 etc I imagine a wireless remote would probably be the most embraced option.
My first 'decent' headphones were the old Sony MDR-V700DJ with the coiled cable and 3.5mm adapter - shallow pads had your ears in contact with the driver grill inflicting pain after more than 10 minutes for me.

Sep 7, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #10,530 of 12,862
geez, guess you didn't grow up in the mix tape age
Actually, I was there.. Those good old days of dubbing from various tapes, CDs etc! Now it's just that you'd need a laptop, etc to search online & transfer.. Sometimes you just need to listen to that one track on the go.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back