Sony NW-ZX300
Sep 5, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #10,486 of 12,862
I seems an mk 2 of the zx300, its larger and much rounder, not worth the upgrade if you have the zx300, unless you want something new.

Sep 5, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #10,487 of 12,862
I don't like the look of the zx500 as much as the zx300 and I do like the Sony interface, so I probably won''t upgrade. (Certainly not immediately, anyway.) USB is does mean fewer cables, but it's not a big issue for me. There's always that desire to have the newest thing when it comes out, but I'm not rich enough to upgrade every iteration, and after a month or two I get over my envy. I'm actually more interested in the limited edition A100 model, with the case that looks like the original TPS-L2 and the cassette screensaver, but probably not enough to fork out the cash for it.

Edit: Removed bit about power output since I realised that the specs I was reading on the UK Sony site were wrong.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #10,488 of 12,862
I don't like the look of the zx500 as much as the zx300 and I do like the Sony interface, so I probably won''t upgrade. (Certainly not immediately, anyway.) USB is does mean fewer cables, but it's not a big issue for me. There's always that desire to have the newest thing when it comes out, but I'm not rich enough to upgrade every iteration, and after a month or two I get over my envy. I'm actually more interested in the limited edition A100 model, with the case that looks like the original TPS-L2 and the cassette screensaver, but probably not enough to fork out the cash for it.

PS: The specs for the A100 say it has maximum output of 35mW (JEITA 16Ω/mW), but that can't be right, can it? The zx300 has 4.2mW on balanced, and the A100 is a lower-specced model.

Completely agree on every word you said man.. Besides audio quality of the 300 is great, who knows if this is ANY better and even if it is.. I'm completely satisfied with my 300...

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #10,489 of 12,862
I want the ZX500 only for that USB C charging port. The rest doesn't interest me TBH.
Well if the rest doesn't interest you wouldn't you be better off picking up a cheaper DAP with USB-C like the M11?

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #10,490 of 12,862
Great to see sony go to usb c but i guess i'm skipping this since it doesn't look much like an upgrade to the zx300 (basically android and wifi which i wouldn't use), might reconsider if it's a significant upgrade soundwise. Now, if they make a new version of the wm1a i'd definitely consider getting one.
Apparently the ZX500 has a copper chassis which was a feature of the 1Z as well as more capacitors than the ZX300, so sound improvements are definitely a possibility, we'll just have to wait and see!

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #10,491 of 12,862
aluminum

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #10,492 of 12,862
upload_2019-9-6_10-28-2.png

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #10,493 of 12,862
The choice to upgrade from the ZX100 to the ZX300 was an easy one as you gained a more powerful balanced output to drive a wider range of phones, touchscreen conveniences, dac functionality, Bluetooth features (remote option).
I prefer to have my music (a fuit salad of albums, singles, bootlegs, b-sides, rare unreleased tracks, live concert rips, some weird obscure stuff) on an SD card so streaming wouldn't cover my requirements, also I enjoy the simple original Sony UI so there is not much to tempt me.
I almost feel at peace that I can continue to enjoy my ZX300 and not be a slave to that upgraditis bug I suffer from every couple of years. I mentioned before that I would be happy to pay for a new battery if/when the time comes.

Sep 6, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #10,494 of 12,862
Well if the rest doesn't interest you wouldn't you be better off picking up a cheaper DAP with USB-C like the M11?

Funnily enough, when buying they also had the M11. It was more expensive too!

And unfortunately, the battery on the M11 isn't great. It's also too big for me. The main draws I had to the ZX300 were:

The legendary battery life
Relatively small for a DAP with balanced connection
No-nonsense interface designed only for music

The main attraction with the ZX500 is the bigger screen and the USB-C port. Everything else unfortunately is a downside for me.

Apparently the ZX500 has a copper chassis which was a feature of the 1Z as well as more capacitors than the ZX300, so sound improvements are definitely a possibility, we'll just have to wait and see!

I hope not! Copper is way too heavy to lug around.

I rea a review of the ZX300 that made a point about the Sony proprietary interface. It transfers music a lot faster than USB C. …….. Just saying.

Yeah, I don't believe that...........

The interface is still USB in the end. USB C doesn't mean it's faster or slower - it's simply a style of connector.

Could you link me that review please? I want to read the rest of it!

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #10,496 of 12,862
I’m pretty sure the zx300 has a copper block in it too, but probably not as heavy duty... and it’s not specifically mentioned in the sales particulars, but it is on the exploded view.

You can see it referenced in the ZX500 promotional picture (top right).

Sep 6, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #10,498 of 12,862
Funnily enough, when buying they also had the M11. It was more expensive too!

And unfortunately, the battery on the M11 isn't great. It's also too big for me. The main draws I had to the ZX300 were:

The legendary battery life
Relatively small for a DAP with balanced connection
No-nonsense interface designed only for music

The main attraction with the ZX500 is the bigger screen and the USB-C port. Everything else unfortunately is a downside for me.

I hope not! Copper is way too heavy to lug around.

Yeah, I don't believe that...........

The interface is still USB in the end. USB C doesn't mean it's faster or slower - it's simply a style of connector.

Could you link me that review please? I want to read the rest of it!
True true, those points really do make the ZX300 (and ZX500 but with Android) stand out from the rest. Looking at the spec sheet it weighs in at ~160 grams which is only a tad heavier the the ZX300 so I wouldn't worry about the weight

Sep 6, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #10,500 of 12,862

Users who are viewing this thread

Back