Sony NW-ZX300
Aug 26, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #10,382 of 12,862
Go to say though, I have been enjoying my ZX300 quite a bit recently. I bought some AKG N5005 and it's amazing with those. I generally use my AKG N40 for walkabout though, and use my N5005 at home.

Aug 26, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #10,383 of 12,862
I can't remember a problem with data. Sure it's something else.

I did the last firmware update ages, and this is quite recent so a bit worried. Just going to have to live with it I think.
Try a reset: settings/device setting/ reset/format This is the standard first thing to try. Could also try re-applying firmware, which is like reloading Windows on a PC and will result in re-initializing everything. They are both easy to do, so worth a try.

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #10,385 of 12,862
Have come across a slight issue with my ZX300, and charging.

When I plug in the power cable, the ZX300 starts up, but quite often it does not start to show charging. I have to remove the power cable and re-attach it, to get the ZX300 to show charging.

(EDIT: sure it's not associated with the last firmware update.)

The problem is I plug it in to charge, then come to it expecting it to be charged. Only to find it low on power still. … I am getting into the habit of having to plug it in twice to get it to charge. Pain though. Should not be doing it either.

My experience with charging electronics is, it's usually a bad cable or dust buildup in the ports that's causing these issues.

Otherwise, warranty it if it's neither of those two issues.

Aug 26, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #10,387 of 12,862
I really hope Sony bring an update to the zx-300 that introduces Bluetooth 5.0 too. I really want low-energy Bluetooth so it’ll improve the battery life for when I use it in my car.

Impossible, bluetooth 5 requires a new chip, was avalible in 2017 when zx300 was released, anyway, it supports aptx hd, ldac and bluetooth 4.2 which is bluetooth low energy, bluetooth 5.0 is actually high bitrate wireless codec and rival standard to aptx hd and ldac

Aug 27, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #10,388 of 12,862
My experience with charging electronics is, it's usually a bad cable or dust buildup in the ports that's causing these issues.

I will have a look at the port. Thanks.

Otherwise, warranty it if it's neither of those two issues.
Yes , try using another charging head first before doing anything.

ZX300 is quite new, and not been used excessively. I only have the cable that came with it.

However its behaviour would suggest a software bug. It always starts charging after reattaching the cable just once. I don't have to try and try.

(As a point of reference, I still have an old Sony phone. I have to push the charging cable on and off that many times, sometimes to get it to charge. My previous Sony phone before that, did the same.)

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #10,389 of 12,862
ZX300 is quite new, and not been used excessively. I only have the cable that came with it.

However its behaviour would suggest a software bug. It always starts charging after reattaching the cable just once. I don't have to try and try.

(As a point of reference, I still have an old Sony phone. I have to push the charging cable on and off that many times, sometimes to get it to charge. My previous Sony phone before that, did the same.)
I've had this a lot with phones and normally dust/fluff in the socket. Also is it plugged into a basic 5v 500ma wall charger or something cleverer like QC3 charger or computer?
If computer maybe check it's not falling into DAC/file mode or the computer has 'clever' fast charge software that's sending the wrong voltage. :)

I cheap 2nd cable might be worth a go, just to have a backup for the non standard sony plug. :wink:

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #10,390 of 12,862
Well oddly enough, I blew into the ZX300 socket, and both times since it has engaged charging straight away. I don't know if it's 'fixed it' so to speak, but I am optimistic right now.

Anyway, I have this to go with, and the excellent suggestion of resetting the software.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #10,391 of 12,862
I finally got my RMT20 remote (2 failed orders from ebay and a direct proxy from Japan later, seriously screw ebay these days). It doesn't play well with balanced cable, either the adaptor is too tight or not tight enough so I looped in a short lanyard and I can now loop it onto whatever bag or jacket I have that day easy. Works well. I'm the kind of person that really needs a remote. Too bad the remote looks so uninspiring.

Aug 27, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #10,392 of 12,862
Well oddly enough, I blew into the ZX300 socket, and both times since it has engaged charging straight away. I don't know if it's 'fixed it' so to speak, but I am optimistic right now.

Anyway, I have this to go with, and the excellent suggestion of resetting the software.

Nothing odd about it: dust lint is a b****!

Glad to see it's resolved for now. As always, resetting can't hurt if it still comes up.

To those with the remote, how's the battery life of the ZX300 with the remote on? Interested in one, but my biggest concern is battery life.

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #10,393 of 12,862
I finally got my RMT20 remote (2 failed orders from ebay and a direct proxy from Japan later, seriously screw ebay these days). It doesn't play well with balanced cable, either the adaptor is too tight or not tight enough so I looped in a short lanyard and I can now loop it onto whatever bag or jacket I have that day easy. Works well. I'm the kind of person that really needs a remote. Too bad the remote looks so uninspiring.
The back attachments have a sliding tab to lock it. I use the clip attachment, but it does not have a lanyard hole, so I drilled 2 holes so I could attach the lanyard. A note of warning that the clip attachment can become unlocked, and also the remote can fall off/be knocked off whatever it is clipped to, so do not depend on it. It is a painful experience to go to get the remote from where you clipped it, to find it not there. I loop the lanyard on my hand, and found that to work out quite well for a lot of situations.

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #10,394 of 12,862
Nothing odd about it: dust lint is a b****!

Glad to see it's resolved for now. As always, resetting can't hurt if it still comes up.

To those with the remote, how's the battery life of the ZX300 with the remote on? Interested in one, but my biggest concern is battery life.
Using it with the WM1Z, never found the effect on battery life to be a problem. I'm sure it does use more battery, but not like for a BT speaker or earphone, because it is only used intermittently, when you change tracks/volume. For situations where it is useful, like carrying the DAP in a bag or pocket, (or belt pouch), the functionality is worth whatever the battery cost is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back