Sony NW-ZX300
Aug 28, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #10,396 of 12,862
Is there a remote control for the ZX300?

The RMT-NWS20 works on the WM1x, ZX300. Check that you have this in: settings/bluetooth/remote control settings.
Apparently the US region model does not have the setting. So would need to change the region

photo_2019_03_08_00_42_17.jpg

Aug 29, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #10,399 of 12,862
Is there any way I can stream Tidal from my Samsung phone to the ZX300..?

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #10,400 of 12,862
Jesus, it's like 50 bucks? that's some ripoff for a cheap looking remote.
"The worth of a thing is what it will bring" If you find a use for it, it is worth it. If you have no use for it, then the cost is irrelevant to you, as you will not waste any money on it.
Yes, it's expensive. It may look like it is a lot of money for a small simple remote, but if you think about it, for mobile use, it is the right size. If it were a big remote with lots of functions, it would be hard to carry around. The rmt-nws20 is small and light, and on a lanyard around your wrist, or looped to a bag handle, etc., it is the right size. Seeing as it is a low volume item, the cost cannot be spread out over a large number of sales. So another way to look at it is to be thankful that Sony made a specialized small remote for their Walkman DAPs, even though they are not going to make much/any money from it, as the small sales will probably not even cover their development/manufacturing/distribution costs.

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #10,401 of 12,862
Jesus, it's like 50 bucks? that's some ripoff for a cheap looking remote.

Don't worry. At that price, I'd still buy another one in a heartbeat if I loose my current remote. I couldn't imagine commuting without that remote with my ZX300.

At first I was hesitant because of the price, but when I got to use it with my ZX300, it's heaven sent!

Now, my player has been always kept inside my cross-body bag with just the remote on my hand. I only take my player out whenever I need to switch artists or playlists.

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #10,402 of 12,862
I got my remote much cheaper when I was in Japan. Sure, it is not the sleekest looking design, but for my needs, to finally have the ability to quickly adjust volume and change tracks without fumbling around trying to hit and miss the ZX300 buttons it is worth it.

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #10,403 of 12,862
Nothing odd about it: dust lint is a b****!

Glad to see it's resolved for now. As always, resetting can't hurt if it still comes up.

To those with the remote, how's the battery life of the ZX300 with the remote on? Interested in one, but my biggest concern is battery life.
I've had mine for over 2 years, still on the first battery, then again I hardly use it.:beerchug:

Aug 29, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #10,404 of 12,862
I got my remote much cheaper when I was in Japan. Sure, it is not the sleekest looking design, but for my needs, to finally have the ability to quickly adjust volume and change tracks without fumbling around trying to hit and miss the ZX300 buttons it is worth it.
I find it much easier to reach for the DAP, the remote looks good, but easy to scratched.

Aug 29, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #10,405 of 12,862
"The worth of a thing is what it will bring" If you find a use for it, it is worth it. If you have no use for it, then the cost is irrelevant to you, as you will not waste any money on it.
Yes, it's expensive. It may look like it is a lot of money for a small simple remote, but if you think about it, for mobile use, it is the right size. If it were a big remote with lots of functions, it would be hard to carry around. The rmt-nws20 is small and light, and on a lanyard around your wrist, or looped to a bag handle, etc., it is the right size. Seeing as it is a low volume item, the cost cannot be spread out over a large number of sales. So another way to look at it is to be thankful that Sony made a specialized small remote for their Walkman DAPs, even though they are not going to make much/any money from it, as the small sales will probably not even cover their development/manufacturing/distribution costs.

Don't worry. At that price, I'd still buy another one in a heartbeat if I loose my current remote. I couldn't imagine commuting without that remote with my ZX300.

At first I was hesitant because of the price, but when I got to use it with my ZX300, it's heaven sent!

Now, my player has been always kept inside my cross-body bag with just the remote on my hand. I only take my player out whenever I need to switch artists or playlists.

Yeah, i know it has it's use and i respect if others are fine with paying what it costs, but it's too expensive for what it is IMHO. An unbranded bluetooth remote controller is like what, 5 bucks? that's my reasoning, you're paying 10x for just the brand and somewhat better materials. Gotta say, that's just my opinion, not trying to attack anyone that's fine with the price. In my case, even if i'd really like one, i'd rather get a generic one (might do so) and use the remaining money on something else, put it towards other headphones, iems, videogames, etc. Heck, i might be able to control the zx with my smartwatch now that i think about it.

Aug 29, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #10,406 of 12,862
Yeah, i know it has it's use and i respect if others are fine with paying what it costs, but it's too expensive for what it is IMHO. An unbranded bluetooth remote controller is like what, 5 bucks? that's my reasoning, you're paying 10x for just the brand and somewhat better materials. Gotta say, that's just my opinion, not trying to attack anyone that's fine with the price. In my case, even if i'd really like one, i'd rather get a generic one (might do so) and use the remaining money on something else, put it towards other headphones, iems, videogames, etc. Heck, i might be able to control the zx with my smartwatch now that i think about it.
Let everybody know if you figure out a way, or find a cheap remote. Many people have tried to find an alternative.

Aug 29, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #10,407 of 12,862
I think if you need the remote, it's good idea. However after looking at it, I realised it would be of no use to me.

I use my ZX300 mostly when going for walks, which are between 3/4 hour, and two hours plus. Before I leave home, I have chosen my first album and set the volume.

I would see no reason to skip tracks for a particular reason. If there is a track on an album that I do not like, I have already deleted it. I don't generally change volume either while walking. There are reasons for that. It's said you should never increase volume to compensate for loud noises in the background. It's because you end up playing music way too loud. Even when I walk along a roadside, I don't increase volume or if I do, it's a tiny amount.

When the album finishes, I have to take the ZX300 out of my pocket anyway. If the new album I play is quieter, I do the volume increase at the time.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #10,408 of 12,862
Yeah the remote really depends on your usage, personally I almost always just have every track I own playing on random, obviously this can involve a lot of track skipping and I really should spend some more time doing playlists. :)
I have a couple of generic BT remotes, they don't work on the ZX300 (sony seem to look for the ID of the sony remote and ignore everything else) but the battery life on those was between 1-6 weeks, the sony one I've maybe replaced the battery once (if at all) in over a year. :)
However currently for my commute I've using BT buds and enjoying the cable free zone, BT headphones obviously having remote control built in (that sony allows non sony devices to use with the ZX300 :) ).

Aug 29, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #10,409 of 12,862
Let everybody know if you figure out a way, or find a cheap remote. Many people have tried to find an alternative.
no alternative remote works on the sony dap, but the sony remote works on many smartphone with android.

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #10,410 of 12,862

no alternative remote works on the sony dap, but the sony remote works on many smartphone with android.

Yup, figured no remotes would work when i realized the zx has a different menu to pair the remote. Tried a smartwatch and a generic bluetooth remote (grabbed one a couple hours ago) and nope, no dice. Might end up using this as an excuse to get some true wireless iems at some point, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back