Sony NW-ZX300
Aug 23, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #10,368 of 12,862
Aug 23, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #10,371 of 12,862
I really hope Sony bring an update to the zx-300 that introduces Bluetooth 5.0 too. I really want low-energy Bluetooth so it’ll improve the battery life for when I use it in my car.
??? Bluetooth is implemented in hardware. The chipset capability is baked into the chip. It would need new hardware/chipset to change from 4.x to 5.x

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #10,373 of 12,862
I kind of assumed it was a software update... like the AptX update on many Bluetooth firmware on some devices I’ve got. Darn it.
Yes, I can see why things like that would give the impression that features can be done by software.
What is more likely is that the designers built extra capability that they were aware of, into the chip design, even though the protocol/the design had not been finalized yet, so it could be changed before the final release, so they took a calculated risk that it would probably not change much. And there are probably other functionality that is built into the hardware first, and not available with the firmware at release, as it would take too much time to do everything. Then they can subsequently rework the firmware to incorporate the latent functionality that was built into the chipset. I believe the WM1x added MQA, APE, BT DAC, in this way.
But BT5 would be a redesign of the BT implementation, with the new functionality built into the chipset, so this cannot be implemented by a firmware upgrade to a BT4.x chipset, to make it a 5.x chipset.

Thinking about the above, I realize that a VM (Virtual Machine) could be used. This is software doing both the hardware and software functions, a bit like a MAC running Windows in a Virtual, or emulation mode. In this scenario, then everything can be done in software. But this is costly, to make a general purpose and powerful machine, with the extra power and design to do this. Dedicated hardware is simpler, faster, more efficient, and cheaper, I believe.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #10,374 of 12,862
Yes, I can see why things like that would give the impression that features can be done by software.
What is more likely is that the designers built extra capability that they were aware of, into the chip design, even though the protocol/the design had not been finalized yet, so it could be changed before the final release, so they took a calculated risk that it would probably not change much. And there are probably other functionality that is built into the hardware first, and not available with the firmware at release, as it would take too much time to do everything. Then they can subsequently rework the firmware to incorporate the latent functionality that was built into the chipset. I believe the WM1x added MQA, APE, BT DAC, in this way.
But BT5 would be a redesign of the BT implementation, with the new functionality built into the chipset, so this cannot be implemented by a firmware upgrade to a BT4.x chipset, to make it a 5.x chipset.

Thinking about the above, I realize that a VM (Virtual Machine) could be used. This is software doing both the hardware and software functions, a bit like a MAC running Windows in a Virtual, or emulation mode. In this scenario, then everything can be done in software. But this is costly, to make a general purpose and powerful machine, with the extra power and design to do this. Dedicated hardware is simpler, faster, more efficient, and cheaper, I believe.
Often game consoles do a lot of the work in software as they have lots of cpu power to spare so you tend to see them add HDMI and other chipset features via software updates but dedicated hardware like bluray players/TV/etc and battery powered stuff like DAPs tend to not have much cpu power (just enough to do the job) so use dedicated chips to offload the work more efficiently. However that then limits the ability to add newer features but often they are in the business of selling you a new device each year too. :)

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #10,376 of 12,862
Wanting to use the 3.5mm headphone socket to feed an amplifier it's a clean signal so the double amping isn't a problem but what's best have a moderate volume and let the coupled amp do the work or max out the volume on the 300 as you do with AK daps and just use the volume on the amp ?

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #10,377 of 12,862
I think the ZX300 will keep me going for a while longer. Motivated by stepping up in quality I went from the A15 > ZX100 > ZX300 - with it's size, balanced (more powerful) output, decent battery life and the fact this model actual has been given important firmware updates I feel it ticks every box. I feel that this is the first device I would perhaps pay to replace the battery than upgrade. But, don't be surprised to see me on the ZX500 thread when it's released.

Aug 24, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #10,378 of 12,862
Hello Everybody!

Zx-300 dap player work on ps4 pro as a usb dac?

Thanks an answer!

Hey, i remember someone asking about this a long time ago and i said i was going to check... if it was you i'm sorry, because i COMPLETELY FORGOT to test it, lol. Just tested it and... nope, at least not on the firmware i'm on (5.05). Tried usb dac and got no response from the ps4, the dac app runs on the nwzx but there's no sound coming from it and no way to select it as an audio output on the ps4 (looked everywhere to see if it was selectable on the audio options or something, and nope). Tried as a bluetooth dac and it won't work either, the ps4 throws a "device not compatible" error. So i might be missing something or it just doesn't work at all, my guess is that it just doesn't work, lol.

Aug 26, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #10,379 of 12,862
Have come across a slight issue with my ZX300, and charging.

When I plug in the power cable, the ZX300 starts up, but quite often it does not start to show charging. I have to remove the power cable and re-attach it, to get the ZX300 to show charging.

(EDIT: sure it's not associated with the last firmware update.)

The problem is I plug it in to charge, then come to it expecting it to be charged. Only to find it low on power still. … I am getting into the habit of having to plug it in twice to get it to charge. Pain though. Should not be doing it either.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #10,380 of 12,862
Have come across a slight issue with my ZX300, and charging.

When I plug in the power cable, the ZX300 starts up, but quite often it does not start to show charging. I have to remove the power cable and re-attach it, to get the ZX300 to show charging.

Not sure if it's since the last firmware update.

The problem is I plug it in to charge, then come to it expecting it to be charged. Only to find it low on power still. … I am getting into the habit of having to plug it in twice to get it to charge. Pain though. Should not be doing it either.
Sometimes my case (Miter) will interfere with charging/data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back