Sony NW-ZX300
Aug 20, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #10,351 of 12,862
I bought my SD card, and formatted it on my ZX300.

My ZX300 is almost full.

Is it OK to just drag and drop the music on the ZX300 onto the SD card? I mean doing this while the SD card is in the ZX300. (Then delete the music on the ZX300 storage.) I think I would possibly prefer to keep all music on the card. Then I can remove the SD-card, and use it elsewhere if I need to.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #10,352 of 12,862

My ZX300 is almost full.

Is it OK to just drag and drop the music on the ZX300 onto the SD card? I mean doing this while the SD card is in the ZX300. (Then delete the music on the ZX300 storage.) I think I would possibly prefer to keep all music on the card. Then I can remove the SD-card, and use it elsewhere if I need to.
Shouldn't be a problem, just reboot it or rebuild the database after (just noticed it does a rebuild when you switch off USB access mode automatically :wink: ) so it knows where the files are (root folder still needs to be MUSIC on the SD card too).
You'll probably need to edit/redo any playlists or favourites after though.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #10,354 of 12,862

My ZX300 is almost full.

It doesn't always happen but there were instances before that users encountered errors while transferring music while their ZX300 was plugged in (as a mass storage device or reader). The DAP won't turn on or there was some kind of a boot problem. Just to be on the safe side, I think it's better to transfer your music using a separate card reader.

On a lighter note though, I haven't seen such problems lately especially for those using the latest firmware. Also, the device noticeably rebuilds its database faster compared to when using older firmwares.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #10,355 of 12,862
Shouldn't be a problem, just reboot it or rebuild the database after (just noticed it does a rebuild when you switch off USB access mode automatically :wink: ) so it knows where the files are (root folder still needs to be MUSIC on the SD card too).

Never got around to making playlists. Only thing that worries me, is that it will see two copies of the music. Then make two entries in the library artist list. I have seen JRiver do that, and it can take time to clean up. It should be OK though. I think my JRiver example was something different, but a long story.

I suppose I could copy all my ZX300 music to a PC folder, then back onto SD-card in ZX300.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #10,356 of 12,862
It doesn't always happen but there were instances before that users encountered errors while transferring music while their ZX300 was plugged in (as a mass storage device or reader). The DAP won't turn on or there was some kind of a boot problem. Just to be on the safe side, I think it's better to transfer your music using a separate card reader.

It sounds like a wise idea to go the card-reader route, and I have one so OK.

Up to now, I have always had the ZX300 on to transfer music onto its own storage. Never had a single glitch. Do you mean transference to the SD card, when you say some users had issues.

Am using latest firmware.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #10,357 of 12,862

Up to now, I have always had the Zx300 on to transfer music onto its own storage. Never had a single glitch. Do you mean transference to the SD card, when you say some users had issues.

I mean the device itself broke down and won't turn on, others had boot loop problems. Those things happened after transferring music using the ZX300 itself directly. There were only a few that I recall. Luckily, my unit didn't get the same problem even when I also did the same method of transfer.

Aug 20, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #10,358 of 12,862
Never got around to making playlists. Only thing that worries me, is that it will see two copies of the music. Then make two entries in the library artist list. I have seen JRiver do that, and it can take time to clean up. It should be OK though. I think my JRiver example was something different, but a long story.

I suppose I could copy all my ZX300 music to a PC folder, then back onto SD-card in ZX300.
I have all my music on the PC already so normally copy from there for a new DAP/card. I'd say certainly if you are filling a new 128GB+ card it's probably a safer/faster method to use a card reader on the PC, I don't think any of mine or the ZX300 can push the cards to the max though. :)

I've not had an issue just using the card in the ZX300 on USB mode but I imagine doing long copies might run into issues with device not ejected correctly or some power saving kicking in somewhere.

Once you've got everything onto the card it's safe to delete the contents of the internal storage MUSIC folder but leave the folder and watch out for the hand full of demo files that came shipped with the unit. Once the old copies are gone the next database rebuild should clean up duplicates, I did something similar when mine first arrived and not noticed any left over entries.

Aug 20, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #10,359 of 12,862

Playlists are stored locally as M3U8 files, so they won't be gone even if you remove the card.

Up to now, I have always had the ZX300 on to transfer music onto its own storage. Never had a single glitch. Do you mean transference to the SD card, when you say some users had issues.

For what it's worth, I actually got the 'corrupted card' error after doing that.

Since then, I only transfer files via the USB.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #10,360 of 12,862
My playlists seem to appear on my SD card.

I frequently find new music and add using USB cable method, I haven't encountered any issues with that method. After someone here had their ZX300 seize up using the delete option I only delete while using the transfer usb connection.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #10,361 of 12,862
I have all my music on the PC already so normally copy from there for a new DAP/card. I'd say certainly if you are filling a new 128GB+ card it's probably a safer/faster method to use a card reader on the PC, I don't think any of mine or the ZX300 can push the cards to the max though. :)

I've not had an issue just using the card in the ZX300 on USB mode but I imagine doing long copies might run into issues with device not ejected correctly or some power saving kicking in somewhere.

Once you've got everything onto the card it's safe to delete the contents of the internal storage MUSIC folder but leave the folder and watch out for the hand full of demo files that came shipped with the unit. Once the old copies are gone the next database rebuild should clean up duplicates, I did something similar when mine first arrived and not noticed any left over entries.

I did wonder about how to delete the music but not the demo tracks. I'll figure it out.

I have all my music On PC, however I have to have a slightly separate folder of music for ZX300. It's because I don't want to load any .WAV files onto ZX300 or it causes a listing error. Plus some albums have to be separately tagged.

I think I should back up my ZX300 list to PC, and work from there.

Aug 22, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #10,363 of 12,862
Hello Everybody!

Zx-300 dap player work on ps4 pro as a usb dac?

Thanks an answer!
I don't think so since when used on a PC driver installation is required, but I wouldn't recommend using it for games either way because there's about a 0.5 second delay

Aug 22, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #10,364 of 12,862
I would've thought it would be quite simple to add an audio sync feature to correct the delay, most devices offer this

Aug 22, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #10,365 of 12,862
I would've thought it would be quite simple to add an audio sync feature to correct the delay, most devices offer this

For films, sure. For games, unless your console can read into the future, it'll be impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back