Sony NW-ZX300
Jul 25, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #7,081 of 12,862
I wonder if anyone has ended in a bootloop if one

1. never administers (deles songs, folders or otherwise) the music directly from zx300
2. always takes the microsd card out and mounts on/transfers from a computer, and administers the content from the computer. I am doing this anyway, as it gives me usb3 speeds instead of the usb2 I get when mounting the whole zx300 (on macbook pro from '12). I have the 300a with 400gb card so I don't care much for the internal memorys accessibility anyway.
3. never shuts it down while it is doing something

Please speak up if you can reject that this is safe.

That's basically what I've done, and what I do with most every DAP (on a few older ones, I do also have some songs on the internal memory, from when my SD cards were mainly 64/128GB, and so internal memory could feature more prominently in carrying your music around - now that I use mostly 200/256/400Gb cards, the usefulness of internal memory is, for me, quite less) ... knocking on wood, I never had a problem :) .

Jul 25, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #7,082 of 12,862
My ZX300 is a Japanese version, purchased since it was released, haven't even updated the firmware even though there is a newer version available, all transfer was done through the player connected to the PC in a drag and drop method.
Using a toshiba 64 GB micro SD card, and player is never switched off.

Haven't had any problems yet.:hugging:.

Jul 25, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #7,083 of 12,862
Hello
I am interested in this player but I have to clarify a fundamental doubt about the power output of headphone jacks (both unbalanced and balanced).
I am currently using a Shanling M2S with an output impedance of 4.8 ohms and the result is good at the sound power level.
Does Sony NW-ZX300 output impedance offer more output power than the Shanling M2S?

I use the following Iems and headphones:
JH Audio Michelle
JH Audio Rosie
Denon AH-D7200 (impedance of 32 but likes the loud volume)

I'm a bit deaf and I like to listen at a high volume.
I suppose that with JH there should be no problem but with the Denon I do not have anything clear.
The power of the Sony NW-WM1A is much higher to pay the difference in price or not worth it?

Can you clarify my doubts please?

Jul 25, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #7,084 of 12,862
I have used the delete folder option 3 or 4 times - I will avoid this as a precaution.
I frequently add new music via drag and drop which I prefer instead of the constantly having to go through the process of removing the card, I have always been concerned that the mount/unmount process may cause a problem.

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #7,085 of 12,862
Hello
I am interested in this player but I have to clarify a fundamental doubt about the power output of headphone jacks (both unbalanced and balanced).
I am currently using a Shanling M2S with an output impedance of 4.8 ohms and the result is good at the sound power level.
Does Sony NW-ZX300 output impedance offer more output power than the Shanling M2S?

I use the following Iems and headphones:
JH Audio Michelle
JH Audio Rosie
Denon AH-D7200 (impedance of 32 but likes the loud volume)

I'm a bit deaf and I like to listen at a high volume.
I suppose that with JH there should be no problem but with the Denon I do not have anything clear.
The power of the Sony NW-WM1A is much higher to pay the difference in price or not worth it?

Can you clarify my doubts please?
I have the Denon D7000 but can only use it single ended which gets you ok volume but it doesn't sound satisfying.
As the D7200 can change cables to go balanced they will probably sound better but I don't think the ZX300 can make them shine like a dac/amp with more power.
I don't really like the sound of my D7000 so when I am in Japan at the end of the year I will try the D7200 or the MDR-Z7 so I can upgrade cables and go balanced.

Jul 25, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #7,086 of 12,862
I have the Denon D7000 but can only use it single ended which gets you ok volume but it doesn't sound satisfying.
As the D7200 can change cables to go balanced they will probably sound better but I don't think the ZX300 can make them shine like a dac/amp with more power.
I don't really like the sound of my D7000 so when I am in Japan at the end of the year I will try the D7200 or the MDR-Z7 so I can upgrade cables and go balanced.
Output power is 2x50mW in SE but 2x200mW in balanced. Sounds like a big difference to me, 4 times more?

Jul 25, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #7,087 of 12,862
Output power is 2x50mW in SE but 2x200mW in balanced. Sounds like a big difference to me, 4 times more?
Yes it is but even though the Denons look relatively easy to drive based on specs there are comments on other threads about them requiring quite alot of power to sound their best. I wish I could try mine balanced to see what the power difference does but there is no detachable cable and I don't have the skills to reterminate.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #7,088 of 12,862
For those of you looking for portable overhead options, there is the new Denon D1200 you may want to consider. I've just seen them, so spec-wise I don't know how they compare with the MDR-1AM2 and Audio Technicas.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #7,089 of 12,862
For those of you looking for portable overhead options, there is the new Denon D1200 you may want to consider. I've just seen them, so spec-wise I don't know how they compare with the MDR-1AM2 and Audio Technicas.
I was actually thinking of getting a 1AM2 but a few people have been really scathing about the materials used, perhaps the D1200 would prove to be better in that department.

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #7,091 of 12,862
I was actually thinking of getting a 1AM2 but a few people have been really scathing about the materials used, perhaps the D1200 would prove to be better in that department.
I love my XBA-Z5 but I'm considering whether to open a can of worms and get a new pair of overheads (which means more money for upgrade cable and perhaps dac/amp etc). If I don't like the Z7 I have those 1AM2 in mind.

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #7,092 of 12,862
I love my XBA-Z5 but I'm considering whether to open a can of worms and get a new pair of overheads (which means more money for upgrade cable and perhaps dac/amp etc). If I don't like the Z7 I have those 1AM2 in mind.
Great idea. I have the Micro BL so my immediate concern is not a DAC. I would like to try a light weight over the ear just to compliment my 99C a bit. I am looking for a $500 - $700 iem to use balanced with the zx300, r3 and SE on Micro BL.

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #7,093 of 12,862
Great idea. I have the Micro BL so my immediate concern is not a DAC. I would like to try a light weight over the ear just to compliment my 99C a bit. I am looking for a $500 - $700 iem to use balanced with the zx300, r3 and SE on Micro BL.
I would recommend the DUNU DK-3001. It's an incredible IEM for the money but you'd really want to audition it before buying as some people have reported comfort issues. As far as sound goes it is the bomb. The iBasso IT04 is also meant to be very good but I haven't heard it myself. On the other hand, at the price range you mentioned, you could also get yourself a nice CIEM.

Jul 26, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #7,094 of 12,862

I recently found the Z7 as an open-box for $360 at a Sony store. I don’t have the ZX300, but it sounds good from the 1A and somehow way better from the 1Z. The MUC-B20SB1 brings the 4.4mm to the Z7 3.5mm plugs in balanced. Though the Z7 can show it’s issues with the wrong amps. It’s true the Z7 can get into the Z5 IEM territory with TA-ZH1ES amp power removing the under power issues. Underpowered the Z7 will produce the bad qualities you read about in the negative reviews of them.

PHA-3 could maybe be another Sony solution for it but have not heard it. Though lucky the double 3.5mm balanced cable set up that the Z7 comes with works perfect with the PHA-3, which saves $. It may be that the PHA-3 is one product made for the Z5 IEM and Z7 Flagship?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #7,095 of 12,862
I would recommend the DUNU DK-3001. It's an incredible IEM for the money but you'd really want to audition it before buying as some people have reported comfort issues. As far as sound goes it is the bomb. The iBasso IT04 is also meant to be very good but I haven't heard it myself. On the other hand, at the price range you mentioned, you could also get yourself a nice CIEM.
Yes i have tried the Dk3001 and i am sad to report the fit is exactly the opposite to the sound. I was floored with the sound and hit in the face hard by the fit :D
i am trying to avoid a ciem at this point and will see if i can get to audition the it04 somewhere. And thank you for the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back